Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.8.5 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.8.5 Released

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes Armor activation issue 
  • Fixes SPC activation issue 
  • Fixes issue accessing router GUI/app after firmware update

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk852.aspx#download

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual.

To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/

enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product

NOTE: Orbi app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE:  Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. I recommend doing a full on factory reset after the FW loads, system is back to ready and a power OFF for 1 minute then back ON has been performed. Use a wired PC and web browser for this. Load the FW on to each RBS web page using the RBS web page, not thru the RBRs web page. Then load the FW lastly on the RBRs web page. Walk thru the setup wizard. You can manually setup the system as well for those who are more experienced with this.

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

NOTICE: All users are advised to not downgrade FW on Orbi systems to older versions of FW. Downgrading FW may cause problems on the system and or cause units to no longer function. If you experience a problems after FW updating your Orbi system, please post in this thread or create a new post and give details to what your experiencing and we'll help you troubleshoot the problem. 

Let us know how it works for you in this thread please.

Message 1 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

For anyone still seeing mysterious RBR reboots on this version of FW, try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Rebo...

Message 2 of 97
bullm00n
Luminary

Manual update has been uneventful so far.  I did the RBS, then the RBR - no other intervention required; they automatically restarted and reconnected.

Message 3 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Do you have email logging enabled or no? 

@bullm00n wrote:

Manual update has been uneventful so far.  I did the RBS, then the RBR - no other intervention required; they automatically restarted and reconnected.

Message 4 of 97
bullm00n
Luminary

No, I have never enabled email logging.

Message 5 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. What's your ISP speed UP and down that you pay for? 

@bullm00n wrote:

No, I have never enabled email logging.

Message 6 of 97
bullm00n
Luminary

At the xFi router: 1420/40 +/-   

Speeds I get at the Orbi: 939/41

The xFi router doesn't support anything beyond 1gig into the LAN and no port aggregation.  But that's OK - plenty fast for now.

A typical wired device (not using Orbi): 948/41

iPhone 13 a few rooms from the Orbi: 414/38 on the 5Ghz channel

Message 7 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok kewl. Interesting. Keep an eye on the RBR and if you see any reboots on the RBR or the system uptime being reset from when after you updated the system. Trying to see who may see this issue and whom may not. Been some ideas pointing to 1Gb ISP service for some. Some with power ISP speeds seem to not see this issue. Been a odd issue. Email logging seems to stop the reboots for those seeing this. 

Message 8 of 97
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

How is this firmware behaving in AP mode?

I don't have the email logging feature available in that mode so does that mean the random reboots don't occur or does it mean there will be nothing I can do to avoid them?

I'm on 4.6.8.2 at the moment and it's been pretty solid for me, current uptime is 56 days. Unsure whether to upgrade or not.

Message 9 of 97
scorn242
Apprentice

For your AP mode question, I'll tell you in about 4 hours how it went/is going.

Message 10 of 97
lmbonnet
Aspirant

All looks fine with the new firmware, only my wired backhaul is showing this on the RBS850

No signs of the RBS850 actually using the wireless backhaul:

lmbonnet_2-1656055280789.png

Speeds are OK too, are there more users with this strange advice?

RBK852 @ V4.6.8.5_2.1.9

Message 11 of 97
bullm00n
Luminary

The options should be there - I'm in AP mode and this is what I see...and so far, it is working well.  I don't have the email enabled:

bullm00n_0-1656089343059.png

@Garwoofoo wrote:

How is this firmware behaving in AP mode?

I don't have the email logging feature available in that mode so does that mean the random reboots don't occur or does it mean there will be nothing I can do to avoid them?

I'm on 4.6.8.2 at the moment and it's been pretty solid for me, current uptime is 56 days. Unsure whether to upgrade or not.

Message 12 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think email logging is needed in AP mode. 

Message 13 of 97
Timtech
Guide

I was hoping this would fix the Nest thermostat issue where we need to put them on the guest network.  It didn’t.   I will keep watching for the Nest firmware as well.

Message 14 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be, mine aren't.

What the distances between the RBR and RBS and how many RBS do you have deployed. What is the distances between the NEST and RBR and RBS? 

@Timtech wrote:

I was hoping this would fix the Nest thermostat issue where we need to put them on the guest network.  It didn’t.   I will keep watching for the Nest firmware as well.

Message 15 of 97
Timtech
Guide

You don’t have a guest network for your Nest?

I moved one thermostat to my primary ssid and it took about 6 hours to go offline and need to be charged.  I moved it back to my guest network after charging via usb and it’s been running solid and no voltage drop.

I even removed all family policies and my armor is expired.  I’m not sure why the guest works and primary doesn’t 

Message 16 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Never have use Guest Network for anything. Ive found distances, transmit power and having too many RBS deployed can cause NEST to ping pong which causes the batter to drain. 

What the distances between the RBR and RBS and how many RBS do you have deployed.

What is the distances between the NEST and RBR and RBS? 

@Timtech wrote:

You don’t have a guest network for your Nest?

I moved one thermostat to my primary ssid and it took about 6 hours to go offline and need to be charged.  I moved it back to my guest network after charging via usb and it’s been running solid and no voltage drop.

I even removed all family policies and my armor is expired.  I’m not sure why the guest works and primary doesn’t 

Message 17 of 97
Timtech
Guide

I have used the RBK53 for several years with one router and three satellites and never had an issue with the Nest thermostats.

I upgraded to the 853 and both Nests disconnected and ran down power several times a day from day one of the install.  I kept testing for days.  Charge them back up and see if they lasted longer.  They never did.  Both would drain and disconnect.  Then I seen a post about the work around of doing the guest network.  I believe you commented on it a year or so ago.  I added a guest, connected all the Nest Thermostats to it and never had an issue.  I just upgraded to the 4.6.8.5 hoping that was the fix.  As a test, I only moved one thermostat back to the Primary and it ran the power down over night and disconnected.

With the 853, I have one router and two satellites.  The router and the Nest that disconnected after this upgrade are on my second floor and about 15 feet apart with 1 sheet rock wall between them (not brick, concrete, stone, etc).  The two satellites are on the first floor over 100 feet away, through the floor and several sheet rock walls.

I only seen the thermostat connect to the router.  Why would it jump on the primary SSID and not on the guest?  I don't see an option for fast switching like I did on the RBK53 which I did have enabled for years.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I don't like having a second network.

Thanks in advance.

Message 18 of 97
Timtech
Guide

I should add my home is ~4,800 square feet with the basement which I don't have a satellite there.  Everything in the basement pulls from the two Satellites on the first floor (at each end of the house).

Message 19 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

What is the distance between the router and NEST? 
What is the distance between each RBS and the NEST? 

What channels are you using? I use manual 1 and 40 here. 

What are the current CTS values? I use 64 here. 

Turn OFF one RBS.

5000k sq ft home here. I have transmit power set to 50% currently on the RBR. Use 1 RBS. 

Can you provide a drawing of the layout of your home and where the RBR, RBS and NEST are located? 

Message 20 of 97
Timtech
Guide

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? Both satellites are one floor down and about 100 feet away.  The satellite is in the middle of the second floor.  Each satellite is on the ends of the first floor.

What is the distance between the router and NEST?   The one I tested is about 15 feet away from the router

What is the distance between each RBS and the NEST?  one floor down and about 100 feet away.

What channels are you using? I use manual 1 and 40 here.   I have auto and 48

What are the current CTS values? I use 64 here.   CTS/RTS is 500 for both 2.4G and 5G

Turn OFF one RBS.

5000k sq ft home here. I have transmit power set to 50% currently on the RBR. Use 1 RBS. 

Can you provide a drawing of the layout of your home and where the RBR, RBS and NEST are located? 

Second Floor

#|-------------------------------- Nest ------ Office 20' away ------------------------------------------|

Router

First Floor

#|Satellite 1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Satellite 2 |

Basement

#|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Thanks for all the help

Message 21 of 97
Timtech
Guide

Since I only see 1 bar of my neighbors wifi (only 1 other ssid) I'm moving to 1 and 40 like you did, and changing to CTS of 64.  I'm going to give that a test.

Message 22 of 97
CrimpOn
Guru

@Timtech wrote:

I have used the RBK53 for several years with one router and three satellites and never had an issue with the Nest thermostats.

I upgraded to the 853 and both Nests disconnected and ran down power several times a day from day one of the install.  I kept testing for days.  Charge them back up and see if they lasted longer.  They never did.  Both would drain and disconnect.  Then I seen a post about the work around of doing the guest network.  I believe you commented on it a year or so ago.  I added a guest, connected all the Nest Thermostats to it and never had an issue.  I just upgraded to the 4.6.8.5 hoping that was the fix.  As a test, I only moved one thermostat back to the Primary and it ran the power down over night and disconnected.

I find this situation confusing.  Nest thermostats are powered by the heating/cooling system. The two AAA rechargeable lithium ion batteries  maintain settings when the heating/cooling system does not provide power, such as during repair work or when there is an electrical outage.  Nest thermostats do not require an internet connection to function as an ordinary thermostat.  (Of course, people install the Nest because of the ability to control it through an app.)

From the countless posts describing weirdness involving the 750 and 850 products, it is clear that these products have "Bad Mojo". But I struggle to see how which WiFi SSID a thermostat connects to can have anything to do with the battery draining.

Message 23 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

@Timtech wrote:

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? Both satellites are one floor down and about 100 feet away.  The satellite is in the middle of the second floor.  Each satellite is on the ends of the first floor.

What is the distance between the router and NEST?   The one I tested is about 15 feet away from the router

What is the distance between each RBS and the NEST?  one floor down and about 100 feet away. <Distances maybe too far. 

What channels are you using? I use manual 1 and 40 here.   I have auto and 48

Try 1 and 40

What are the current CTS values? I use 64 here.   CTS/RTS is 500 for both 2.4G and 5G

Please change CTS to 64. If something doesn't work well try 2347 later on.

Turn OFF one RBS.

Lets leave transmit at 100% for now with only 1 RBS running. 

Message 24 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

The issue is is that some nests are not connected to the main air conditioning system with a power wired. They can be ran without this power wired. However since Orbi AX appeared, seems that with AX, RBS and distances, for some reason causes the NESTs to not lock on or disconnect from a signal and they begin to ping pong back and forth trying to find what I presume is the best signal for them, having the RBR and multiple RBS deployed and having multiple wifi signals, seems like the NEST can't decided what to lock on to and get stuck ping ponging around and this causes there internal batteries to drain then they disconnect or stop functioning with WiFi. The power wired if there system supports it and it's in place where the NEST is installed would avoid the batter drain. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

From the countless posts describing weirdness involving the 750 and 850 products, it is clear that these products have "Bad Mojo". But I struggle to see how which WiFi SSID a thermostat connects to can have anything to do with the battery draining.

Message 25 of 97
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7