Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850/RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released

darbuckle
Tutor

I factory reset the RBS's and removed/added them back to the RBR.  I have not factory reset the RBR.  I have the system setup as AP mode only (i use a separate router). All units on are on version 4.6.9.11.  It is a bit cumbersome to factory reset the RBR850 (since default is router mode) and reconfigure back to AP mode.

darbuckle_0-1662472087889.png

Message 76 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

RBR would need to be FR as well. 

Message 77 of 165
darbuckle
Tutor

I did a full factory reset on RBR850, and RBS850's again (2 satellites)

Configured RBR850 for AP mode.

Re-synced Satellites (successful)

Same Result - Netgear Guest SSID broadcasting when guest network is disabled. It's only the 2.4ghz channels that are broadcasting guest.  This was same behavior prior to factory resets and re-syncs.

darbuckle_0-1662484255294.png

Message 78 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, will look into this. I put my 8 series online the other day...I didn't look as I was focused on something else. I'll check and see and pass this on to NG as well. 

Curious, does this still happen in router mode on the RBR and RBS as well? 

Also if you go head and enabled GN and set something up and apply it, after it's applied and the system changes, go back and Disable Guest Network and apply, is the GN SSID still seen? 

Message 79 of 165
darbuckle
Tutor

Re: New - RBR750/RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released

I have not tested with the RBR850 in router mode, i would have to pull the in place production router and reconfigure network - which unfortunately I cannot do during working hours (dependent for work during the day)

Message 80 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

No worries. I'll check my system and ask some others as well. 

What is the brand and model if the host router your using? 

Message 81 of 165
darbuckle
Tutor

Host Router is Qnap QHora-301W (ip address 192.168.1.1) - Manages DHCP Range 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.254

Other configuration details:

RBR850 Set to AP Mode, static ip of 192.168.1.2

RBS850 Satellite 1, DHCP Assigned 192.168.1.200

RBS850 Satellite 2, DHCP Assigned 192.168.1.201

Network Topology:

darbuckle_0-1662486236282.png

Message 82 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Great details. 

Thank you. 

Message 83 of 165
DarkNet
Apprentice

RBS853, 4100sqft, just updated to 4.6.9.11 a week or so ago.  Wanted to wait and see if there were (m)any problems.  I have lots of devices and appliances connected via wifi including some Kasa plugs.  All good here. I mentioned the house size and number of satellites because it was stated earlier only 1 satellite was needed.  We needed 2 perhaps due to the layout of the house but all seems well.

Message 84 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@DarkNet wrote:

RBS853, 4100sqft, just updated to 4.6.9.11 a week or so ago.  Wanted to wait and see if there were (m)any problems.  I have lots of devices and appliances connected via wifi including some Kasa plugs.  All good here. I mentioned the house size and number of satellites because it was stated earlier only 1 satellite was needed.  We needed 2 perhaps due to the layout of the house but all seems well.

Message 85 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

When you see this on your wifi app, is this always there or just for a short period of time then goes away. 

Others have mentioned that the GN does appear for a short period of time when the RBR and RBS are coming online, then after a few minutes disappears.

@darbuckle wrote:

I did a full factory reset on RBR850, and RBS850's again (2 satellites)

Configured RBR850 for AP mode.

Re-synced Satellites (successful)

Same Result - Netgear Guest SSID broadcasting when guest network is disabled. It's only the 2.4ghz channels that are broadcasting guest.  This was same behavior prior to factory resets and re-syncs.

darbuckle_0-1662484255294.png

Message 86 of 165
darbuckle
Tutor

I will see the guest network ssid after boot up, and it persists (and stays broadcasting permanently).  i have seen one or the other satellites drop the guest ssid, but it will come back after 20 minutes or so.  It also is inconsistent in the 2.4 channel bandwidth between the satellites and router.  To me it appears to be a sync issue, but sync/backhaul status indicates good on web page:

darbuckle_0-1662495575541.png

Message 87 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Thanks for this. 
I asked someone at home to check my 8 series and no GN is being seen. Another let me know that a 7 series isn't seeing this either, though ours are in router mode. I'll check my 7 series in AP mode and see if the AP mode could be causing this...

Please edit your picture for MAC Addresses or product serial numbers before posting. 

Message 88 of 165
darbuckle
Tutor

I want to stress that this was not a problem under firmware 4.6.8.5, it has been introduced in firmware 4.6.9.11, and there have been no configuration changes.  Thanks!

Message 89 of 165
tjtrimble
Luminary

@darbuckle wrote:

I will see the guest network ssid after boot up, and it persists (and stays broadcasting permanently).  i have seen one or the other satellites drop the guest ssid, but it will come back after 20 minutes or so.  It also is inconsistent in the 2.4 channel bandwidth between the satellites and router.  To me it appears to be a sync issue, but sync/backhaul status indicates good on web page:

I first saw the guest SSID broadcasting on mine after the new firmware was installed but it went away on its own after a little while (thinking less than hour) and it hasn't broadcasted since that I am aware of.  I have the guest network turned off and running mine in AP mode.

Message 90 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you enable GN and set something up and apply it and Change the Netgear name to something different, after it's applied and the system changes, go back and Disable Guest Network and apply, is the GN SSID still seen after an hour of being disabled? 

Is this seen if the RBS are turned OFF and the RBR alone? 

@darbuckle wrote:

I want to stress that this was not a problem under firmware 4.6.8.5, it has been introduced in firmware 4.6.9.11, and there have been no configuration changes.  Thanks!

Message 91 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

@darbuckle 

Got home and got my 7 series online in AP mode static IP. Saw nothing of any guest network being broadcast after I turned the RBR ON, until I turned ON the RBS. I beleive it was the RBS that broadcast the NETGEAR-GuestNetwork and that appeared in my scanner for 10-15 seconds as the RBS was syncing to the RBR. I had set a different GN SSID name and did not enable GN on the RBR just yet. The RBS finally synced and still no GN SSID being seen. I then enabled GN on the RBR and eventaully RBK752-Guest appeared on the scanner. I disabled GN on the RBR and the GN name disappeared here. No longer seen on anything. 

RBR750 was connected behind my RBR850 in router mode as I can't configure the 8 series for AP mode currently. 

Wondering if there maybe something on your system causing this or in your configuration. 

Message 92 of 165
darbuckle
Tutor

As requested i changed the guest network name, set a guest password, enabled the guest network.

The guest network came online with all three units broadcasting guest network, and i was able to connect to the guest network.

I then disabled the guest network and waited an hour.

The guest network ssid is still being broadcast (by the two satellites, but not the router) - so only two set channel broadcast on both the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels.

With the guest network DISABLED, i can still connect to the guest network and have a valid ip and internet connection.

I understand you are not seeing this behavior, but I am. 

I want to re-iterate i was NOT seeing a guest network under firmware 4.6.8.5 (for six months of operation), with the same router and network configuration.  the firmware update to 4.6.9.11 IS causing the problem.

I cannot place a support ticket to resolve because i'm beyond the 90 day warranty period, and i'm not going to pay for more support when it was a firmware update that has created the issue.

will be rebooting the system with the guest network disabled (again) to see if it will sync to satellites.

Message 93 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Great information and detail, I'll pass this along. 

Message 94 of 165
darbuckle
Tutor

Router is in a basement - both satellites are one floor up - approx 35 feet straight distance, with a floor and 1-2 walls between satellites and router.

Message 95 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be a good test if you can, bring one RBS closer or even in same room as the RBR and see if enabling again the GN SSID name on the RBR, apply, check, then disable the GN, apply then see if the RBS still continue to broadcast the GN SSID...Turn OFF the other RBS while trying this.

Message 96 of 165
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi darbuckle, 

We are looking into this and would like to work with you. I will PM you requesting for more information.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 97 of 165
ekhalil
Master

My RBS350 satellites that are connected to RBR850 router got all automatically updated to v4.6.9.11 and are working very well.

Message 98 of 165
AndyKH
Tutor

Some info RE guest Network that might be of help to Netgear.....

I have 850 with 6 satellites on 2 different sites

Below relates to a system on this latest firmware

Yesterday while checking setting via on site web IP I noticed

When in "Basic" mode nothing unusual re wi fi guest

When in "Advanced" mode as soon as you enter "wireless" tab the guest wifi jumps ON even if the tick box is blank (off), leave the tab and guest turns OFF.

Also when "apply"ing whilst in wireless tab the Wi fi guest will switch on and off within that save process - again with guest set off.

This repeated a number of times.

I have a name in the guest SSID as previous this was in use - I did not check with guest SSID blank (deleted) or factory blank

I had an iphone next to me looking at wifi signals available

PLEASE NOTE - I was not deliberately checking this , I just noticed it doing other things and so changed tab a few times to confirm. 

This may be of help, 

Thank you,

Andy.

Message 99 of 165
LMAPODREY
Aspirant

Same problem here, Guest wifi is uncontrolable, turning on without notice. I noticed the same issue with the previous fw though (4.6.8.5) !

Message 100 of 165
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7