Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850/RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

@AndyKH wrote:

Some info RE guest Network that might be of help to Netgear.....

I have 850 with 6 satellites on 2 different sites< Meaning that you have to locations with two Orbi systems? 

Below relates to a system on this latest firmware

Yesterday while checking setting via on site web IP I noticed

When in "Basic" mode nothing unusual re wi fi guest< Whats Basic Mode? 

When in "Advanced" mode as soon as you enter "wireless" tab the guest wifi jumps ON even if the tick box is blank (off), leave the tab and guest turns OFF.<What is Advanced mode? 

Also when "apply"ing whilst in wireless tab the Wi fi guest will switch on and off within that save process - again with guest set off.

This repeated a number of times.

I have a name in the guest SSID as previous this was in use - I did not check with guest SSID blank (deleted) or factory blank

I had an iphone next to me looking at wifi signals available

PLEASE NOTE - I was not deliberately checking this , I just noticed it doing other things and so changed tab a few times to confirm. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Might be better to post screen captures of what your doing...

Message 101 of 165
AndyKH
Tutor

Hi Yes I have 2 orbi systems in different properties both router plus 6 sats.

Basic and Advanced are the two tabs at the top of the page ORBI page accessed via direct IP address - image attached

I'm not having any issue with this - Others posted about the guest wifi being on when they had the box unticked (off) - I mentioned this as I was able to create a scenario with guest wifi on when it should be off - AND how it happened in the hope it may be of use to those trying to replicate the issue and resolve.

Message 102 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thanks for the clarification. 

Message 103 of 165
LMAPODREY
Aspirant

You don't even need to go into Guest network tab in the web interface. Applying a change like lowering the Wifi signal power to 50% made reappear my guest network just after applying the change...and then 5 minutes later it disappeared.

Prior to that, after applying the update, guest network was always on. What did the trick is to enable it (because it was not ticked in the interface), apply the changes, wait a few minutes and then disable it, wait a few minutes and it disappeared (for now). 

Not sure if I am clear.

Message 104 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the clarification. As long as it disappears. 

I'll pass this on to NG for review. 

Message 105 of 165
LMAPODREY
Aspirant

Will monitor and keep you posted if it comes back. For now it seems to be off permanently.

I am using the outstanding Wifi Analyzer app on Windows 10 to check that.

Message 106 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll check this behavior on mine as well. 

Message 107 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

@LMAPODREY @AndyKH 

Can you try this again with your RBS turned OFF and see if the GN SSID appears at any time with only making changed to the RBR and the RBS turned OFF. I just tried this with mine, no RBS connected. Made some changes to the wifi and also lowered the power on the RBR whilst leaving a wifi scanner app running and did not see the guest network appear at any time. I did enable the GN and it appeared then disappeared when I disable it. 

Wondering if there is something being seen from the RBS when they are online. 

Message 108 of 165
AUserGuy
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR850/RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released,

I'm also seeing the speed test not working in the browser issue.  Speed test works in the iOS app, but not in the browser.  Latest Safari (16.0 on Monterey 12.6). First hitting the speed test page shows the most recent test result (initiated from the app):

AUserGuy_0-1664087881697.png

But when I click "Test speed" it spins for 5 to 10 seconds, then I get this:

AUserGuy_1-1664087931707.png

Besides working in the app, on the basic status page when I first load the web GUI it has the happy "internet is good" status tile:

AUserGuy_2-1664088157240.png

And general wi-fi connectivity works fine from various devices.  So it just seems to be the speed test functionality in the web browser.

Message 109 of 165
Seanster
Guide

This firmware seems to have scrambled my entire setup (with a little help by me it seems).

Am running RBR850 in AP mode, with 3 satellites connected by wired backhaul.  For some stupid reason I opened the Orbi app on my iPad on Friday and it showed a new firmware available.  So I stupidly pressed the button.  I believe I must have been looking at the router as it only updated the firmware on the router.

Then the mess began.  All of my satellites disappeared from my network map.  Went straight to the computer to check, and all satellites showed as disconnected.  Logged directly into one of the satellites and, of course, different firmware version.  Ok, no problem, I will update the 3 satellites manually, which I did.  All satellites came back up fine, blue light etc. and were serving internet just fine.

Return to admin GUI and still all satellites show disconnected (but seem to be still working, although no longer show as part of the network).  Ok, so let’s try resetting one of the sats to factory and re-adding the satellite.  So I paperclip one of the RBS850’s and it gets weirder - 7 seconds and no amber flashing but red flashing - but satellite seems to have reset as password has reverted to default. Try to now add new satellite to the router but it fails, cannot sync the satellite.

Now at the point where I am not sure what to do.  System ‘seems to be working’ although it says things are wrong.  So leave it alone.  Or revert back to previous firmware and hope for best, or reset everything to factory and start again…

Any advise on best direction gladly appreciated !

Message 110 of 165
Seanster
Guide

Could you describe your process to re-sync / re-add your satellites to your router.  Am trying to do the exact same thing (Router in AP mode) but no success.  I am getting weirdness when I try to factory reset Sat 1 - power LED goes from green to flashing red, I never get to amber....

Message 111 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@Seanster wrote:

This firmware seems to have scrambled my entire setup (with a little help by me it seems).

Am running RBR850 in AP mode, with 3 satellites connected by wired backhaul.  For some stupid reason I opened the Orbi app on my iPad on Friday and it showed a new firmware available.  So I stupidly pressed the button.  I believe I must have been looking at the router as it only updated the firmware on the router.

Then the mess began.  All of my satellites disappeared from my network map.  Went straight to the computer to check, and all satellites showed as disconnected.  Logged directly into one of the satellites and, of course, different firmware version.  Ok, no problem, I will update the 3 satellites manually, which I did.  All satellites came back up fine, blue light etc. and were serving internet just fine.

Return to admin GUI and still all satellites show disconnected (but seem to be still working, although no longer show as part of the network).  Ok, so let’s try resetting one of the sats to factory and re-adding the satellite.  So I paperclip one of the RBS850’s and it gets weirder - 7 seconds and no amber flashing but red flashing - but satellite seems to have reset as password has reverted to default. Try to now add new satellite to the router but it fails, cannot sync the satellite.

Now at the point where I am not sure what to do.  System ‘seems to be working’ although it says things are wrong.  So leave it alone.  Or revert back to previous firmware and hope for best, or reset everything to factory and start again…

Any advise on best direction gladly appreciated !

Message 112 of 165
Seanster
Guide

No, have not reset the entire setup, just one satellite.  I did not want to as its a bit of a pain (going back to Router mode etc.).  And all was working fine - sats show disconnected but they are functioning as they should, all devices are working fine (they just show that they are connected to the router as opposed to the satellite). 

Bigger problem is that I pulled one satellite out, removed it from the GUI, reset it to factory, and now I cannot get it to sync back with the router, and am suspecting that yet again I will have to switch back to router mode to sync this satellite....meh

Message 113 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL RBS on same version of FW?

How are you trying to sync the RBS to the RBR? 

Pressing the sync buttons or using the RBRs Add RBS web function? 

Did you remove the RBS entry from the RBRs web page? 

Does the RBS sync if you ethernet connect it to the RBR? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

@Seanster wrote:

No, have not reset the entire setup, just one satellite.  I did not want to as its a bit of a pain (going back to Router mode etc.).  And all was working fine - sats show disconnected but they are functioning as they should, all devices are working fine (they just show that they are connected to the router as opposed to the satellite). 

Bigger problem is that I pulled one satellite out, removed it from the GUI, reset it to factory, and now I cannot get it to sync back with the router, and am suspecting that yet again I will have to switch back to router mode to sync this satellite....meh

Message 114 of 165
Seanster
Guide

Yes, RBR and all 3 RBS's are on 4.6.9.11 (the 3 RBS's had the firmware manually updated when I realised what I had done). 

Have tried every method known to man to sync the one RBS back to the RBR - via the sync buttons, via the browser add function, even tried the app version.

I removed the RBS entry from the RBR webpage

If I directly connect the RBS to the RBR over Ethernet, the RBS will reappear, LED goes blue.  Backhaul originally said 'out of sync', so thought OK I am getting somewhere.  So synced and somewhere in the middle of this process backhaul status switched to 'good' - but a quick look at the RBS webpage showed this was not the fact, that the RBS still retained its factory SSID etc.  Removing RBS from its direct connection and rebooting returns it to solid white light (factory reset)......

Message 115 of 165
ekhalil
Master

@Seanster wrote:

Have tried every method known to man to sync the one RBS back to the RBR - via the sync buttons, via the browser add function, even tried the app version.

Have you tried to reserve IP address for the satellite in the ISP router using the satellites MAC address?

I think the issue is that the satellite is not able to get an IP address from the ISP router.

Message 116 of 165
Seanster
Guide

I have not reserved an IP

When the RBS is wired, it obtains an IP address (which is the exact same IP address that it had before I reset it).....when it is not wired, that seems to fail.  So your suggestion is to reserve IP's for everything ?  

Message 117 of 165
ekhalil
Master

@Seanster wrote:

I have not reserved an IP

When the RBS is wired, it obtains an IP address (which is the exact same IP address that it had before I reset it).....when it is not wired, that seems to fail.  So your suggestion is to reserve IP's for everything ?  

Just reserve an IP address to the satellite that you have problem with. Check the MAC address written on the back of the satellite and reserve an IP for that MAC in the ISP router.

This will solve the problem if the satellite can find the DHCP server, but if it can't find the DHCP server then this will not help.

I think that this is an issue that was introduced in 4.6.9.11 that teh satellite will not find the DHCP server when it's connected wirelessly with the router. Seems that the issue is in the router, seems to somehow forget that's in AP mode. Please test to set Orbi in Router mode and click Apply then change it back to AP mode and click Apply. This might remind the router to point the satellite to the correct DHCP server.

Message 118 of 165
Flupke
Guide

I noticed exactly the same: much more stable for my 2.4GhZ IP camera which now connects to the expected satellite, rather than to the more distant router?

Message 119 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

@Flupke wrote:

I noticed exactly the same: much more stable for my 2.4GhZ IP camera which now connects to the expected satellite, rather than to the more distant router?

Message 120 of 165
Seanster
Guide

Ok reserved the IP and tried syncing again, no success.  So I'll try the toggling the Router/AP mode when no one is in the house, cause if I wreck the rest of the wifi then I am a dead man!

Message 121 of 165
ekhalil
Master

@Seanster wrote:

Ok reserved the IP and tried syncing again, no success.  So I'll try the toggling the Router/AP mode when no one is in the house, cause if I wreck the rest of the wifi then I am a dead man!

Try first just to keep AP Mode selected and clcik Apply (without toggling to Router Mode), if you see the router reboots then this means it was accepted and you don't need to toggle.

Message 122 of 165
ekhalil
Master

It seems that the following issues were introduced in the latest firmware v4.6.9.11:

1. ISP IP address lease time is now causing issues. Many people reporting that Orbi is loosing it's internet connectivity -likely- after IP lease time expiry.
  2. Wireless backhaul is not working properly:
    1. Wireless satellites are not able to find DHCP server (when Orbi in AP mode) and thus not able to aquire IP address and fail to pair with the router.
    2. Wireless backhaul is causing issues when there are wired satellites in the network. Seems that IP loops will be generated and cause many strange issues in the network,

Appreciate it if Netgear can have a look into this. I see that many people are suffering from these issues currently.

Message 123 of 165
Flupke
Guide

Roughly 150m² ground floor + basement + 1st floor, with 2 or 3 walls in between router (positioned centrally) and each of the three satellites.

I reported that - as the other team members observed - the last firmware became more stable in associating specific devices (two 2.4Ghz-only IP cam who compete on a band with more limited bandwidth) with the closest satellite. 

Message 124 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:

It seems that the following issues were introduced in the latest firmware v4.6.9.11:

1. ISP IP address lease time is now causing issues. Many people reporting that Orbi is loosing it's internet connectivity -likely- after IP lease time expiry. NG is aware of this item and seems to be working on it already. 
  2. Wireless backhaul is not working properly:
    1. Wireless satellites are not able to find DHCP server (when Orbi in AP mode) and thus not able to aquire IP address and fail to pair with the router. Passed this on to NG for review. Will be testing this on my 8 series as well. 
    2. Wireless backhaul is causing issues when there are wired satellites in the network. Seems that IP loops will be generated and cause many strange issues in the network. Passed this on to NG for review. I've not seen this with my two RBS ethernet connected to my 8 series. Ran for 3 days + before checking on my 7 series in same configuration and it ran for 6+ days. 9 series is at 17 days with same config. No idea when next FW will get released. 

Message 125 of 165
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7