Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

And you posted as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2183497/high...

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@toto123 wrote:

any chance we'll see an update for the RBR20? to get off of firmware 2.7.3.22?

Message 51 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Firmware Version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7
dumaos: v3.0.410
seal: v2.1.5.21-0
seal_services: v2.1.5.9-0
armor-bd: v2.2.100.3
spc-circle: v3.25.0.2
CPU Load: 10.96%
Memory Usage(Used/Total): 332 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 2 days 05:01:09

No issues seen thus far. Going to connect the RBS via ethernet and see how the do now:

RBSWireConnected.png

Message 52 of 460
NGSvensk
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 - this version is inferior to 4.6.6.11. in regards to the satellite.

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 40 to 50 feet.  I am in a split level house so lots of walls between the two.

What happens if you set transmit power to 50% on the RBR?   I have tired both 50% and 25% and it makes a little difference.   On 4.6.6.11  it held onto many of my 2.4 clients.  I have mutliple cameras and have some on the router and some on satellite was one of the main reasons for going with this system.   When all the cameras are bound to the router it impacts my other 2.4 clients.

Any other ideas?  I may go back to 4.6.6.11 as it was rock solid.   Do you know if NG still will be forcing upgrades?

Message 53 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

@NGSvensk wrote:

@FURRYe38 - this version is inferior to 4.6.6.11. in regards to the satellite.

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 40 to 50 feet.  I am in a split level house so lots of walls between the two.

What happens if you set transmit power to 50% on the RBR?   I have tired both 50% and 25% and it makes a little difference.   On 4.6.6.11  it held onto many of my 2.4 clients.  I have mutliple cameras and have some on the router and some on satellite was one of the main reasons for going with this system.   When all the cameras are bound to the router it impacts my other 2.4 clients.

Did you power off the system and back ON after 1 full minute or did you do a full on factory reset and set up from scratch after this version was applied? Remember it's up to clients to pick and chose where they connect too. Try a reboot of the RBR after changing power levels to help clients connect to RBS.

Any other ideas?  I may go back to 4.6.6.11 as it was rock solid. Something to try for sure if v5 doesn't seem to be working for you.

Do you know if NG still will be forcing upgrades? No. 

Message 54 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@Yashur21 wrote:

Since it appears that most of the firmware being released are faulty wouldn't it be better to stop all of this until netgear sorts it out!?

I'm sure we'd all love that, but the current release firmware (that's been the only thing available for months) is appalling and has been causing issues for almost everyone. Hence people are jumping on these beta firmwares as a way of potentially fixing their problems.

I've tried both the recent betas and my general feeling is that 4.6.7.5 has better speeds, 4.6.6.11 gives slightly more reliable behaviour when it comes to the way in which devices choose which satellite to connect to, but both are infinitely better than the release version 4.6.3.16 and I don't regret trying out these unofficial versions at all.

Message 55 of 460
tyke2806
Tutor

Worked fine for me all three satellites synced quickly. Got rid of the message that one of my wired satellites needed to be moved closer to the router.

The one wireless satellite is still connecting directly to the router according to the web interface, even though there is a wired satellite in between it and the router, so daisy chain seems not to be working but nothing new there! Have ordered a fourth satellite, so will have two wireless and two wired from tomorrow.

EDIT: The wireless unit appears have resynced and connected to the wired satellite, the first time this has happened for me since I got the new Orbi system!!

Message 56 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Glad is working better.

@tyke2806 wrote:

Worked fine for me all three satellites synced quickly. Got rid of the message that one of my wired satellites needed to be moved closer to the router.

The one wireless satellite is still connecting directly to the router according to the web interface, even though there is a wired satellite in between it and the router, so daisy chain seems not to be working but nothing new there! Have ordered a fourth satellite, so will have two wireless and two wired from tomorrow.

EDIT: The wireless unit appears have resynced and connected to the wired satellite, the first time this has happened for me since I got the new Orbi system!!

Message 57 of 460
tyke2806
Tutor

One wired satellite is 15m from the router, the other is about 8m away. the wireless satellite is 10m from one satellite and about 18m from the router. Router is in AP mode.

Message 58 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Depending on placement and distance, you may see daisy chain in effect for some RBS. Which if this is good for you, should work now. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@tyke2806 wrote:

One wired satellite is 15m from the router, the other is about 8m away. the wireless satellite is 10m from one satellite and about 18m from the router. Router is in AP mode.

Message 59 of 460
tyke2806
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok. Depending on placement and distance, you may see daisy chain in effect for some RBS. Which if this is good for you, should work now. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@tyke2806 wrote:

Well I am glad all is working as it should be for now. The new satellite that is coming tomorrow will be wireless and about 10m from the other wireless one, so I am expecting it to daisy chain to that. Of course that will create a daisy chain of 3 satellites, which is not recommended, but hopefully will be OK as the first hop is wired!

Message 60 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

I wouldn't see a problem with 3 RBS being daisy chained. Should work fine. 

You'll need to update the newer RBS to same version of FW. 

Message 61 of 460
tyke2806
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I wouldn't see a problem with 3 RBS being daisy chained. Should work fine. 

You'll need to update the newer RBS to same version of FW. 

Yes. Is there any way to do that before I sync it to the router?

Message 62 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try this and see if it works. Last time I check it wasn't however I haven't tried with this newer version of FW: 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite📡. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites 📡 to the RBR. 

Message 63 of 460
Pura_Vida
Tutor

Greetings, all.  I'm a new member and Orbi user.  I downloaded and installed this firmware b/c I've spent the last few weeks with Netgear support, but not getting anywhere with my wireless performance issues.  Installing this firmware didn't resolve my issues, although upload may have improved slightly.  But on my app, all of my device names have been replaced with "N/A," so now I have no idea which device is which, even though they remain attached to the different user names I've created.  I may revert back to the last formal firmware, since I didn't get the desired results, and I will continue to look for ways to improve my overall wireless performace.

Message 64 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

There a screen capture of what your seeing? 

What app are you referring to? 

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS for 1 minute after applying this FW update or have you factory reset the system and setup from scratch yet? 

@Pura_Vida wrote:

Greetings, all.  I'm a new member and Orbi user.  I downloaded and installed this firmware b/c I've spent the last few weeks with Netgear support, but not getting anywhere with my wireless performance issues.  Installing this firmware didn't resolve my issues, although upload may have improved slightly.  But on my app, all of my device names have been replaced with "N/A," so now I have no idea which device is which, even though they remain attached to the different user names I've created.  I may revert back to the last formal firmware, since I didn't get the desired results, and I will continue to look for ways to improve my overall wireless performace.

Message 65 of 460
CrimpOn
Guru

@tyke2806 wrote:

Well I am glad all is working as it should be for now. The new satellite that is coming tomorrow will be wireless and about 10m from the other wireless one, so I am expecting it to daisy chain to that. Of course that will create a daisy chain of 3 satellites, which is not recommended, but hopefully will be OK as the first hop is wired!

Please report how this works.  It is a bit frustrating that Netgear's information about Daisy Chain does not specify whether there is a limit on the number of satellites that can be chained together (or not).  This web page is silent on the topic:

https://kb.netgear.com/000048458/What-is-daisy-chain-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-Orbi-WiFi-System-o...

Netgear's  advice is very clear, "with a maximum of two satellites in a daisy chain".

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System 

My sense is that how the "first hop" is achieved is immaterial. Orbi creates a second WiFi SSID for the Daisy Chain link. (Sharing the same WiFi frequency.)

In the absence of information from Netgear, your experience is important.

Message 66 of 460
tyke2806
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@tyke2806 wrote:

Please report how this works.  It is a bit frustrating that Netgear's information about Daisy Chain does not specify whether there is a limit on the number of satellites that can be chained together (or not).  This web page is silent on the topic:

https://kb.netgear.com/000048458/What-is-daisy-chain-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-Orbi-WiFi-System-o...

Netgear's  advice is very clear, "with a maximum of two satellites in a daisy chain".

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System 

My sense is that how the "first hop" is achieved is immaterial. Orbi creates a second WiFi SSID for the Daisy Chain link. (Sharing the same WiFi frequency.)

In the absence of information from Netgear, your experience is important.

So I installed my fourth satellite. I now have two wired satellites and two in wireless 5g mode. Instead of the new satellite piggy backing the existing wireless satellite it has synced to the second wired satellite. So I have one 5G connection to each of the two wired satellites.This seems like a pretty good result to me. 

Message 67 of 460
meeper34
Aspirant

I'm a new user to this forum but have been experiencing the frequent wifi and wired disconnects with my RBR850 and 2 satellites.  I thought it was a Spectrum issue for the longest time until I found other users experiencing the same.  It's been driving my entire family insane, and I'm really hoping to fix this issue with a firmware update, but to be honest I am hesitant to install firmware on my router from a salesforce link not associated with netgear at all. I'm fine with installing beta, but why doesn't netgear have a page with beta drivers?  Any idea on how long until this is officially fixed?

Message 68 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

That link is associated with NG. 

No. NG doesn't let us know when new FW is forth coming. 

@meeper34 wrote:

I'm a new user to this forum but have been experiencing the frequent wifi and wired disconnects with my RBR850 and 2 satellites.  I thought it was a Spectrum issue for the longest time until I found other users experiencing the same.  It's been driving my entire family insane, and I'm really hoping to fix this issue with a firmware update, but to be honest I am hesitant to install firmware on my router from a salesforce link not associated with netgear at all. I'm fine with installing beta, but why doesn't netgear have a page with beta drivers?  Any idea on how long until this is officially fixed?

Message 69 of 460
RafS
Apprentice

I had the same issue after initial update and unplugging the RBR and RBS for a couple minutes.  What I did was, waited till everything was up and running and I did a power reboot via the Orbi app and when the RBR and RBS came back up and synced, all devices showed up with the names like they did before the update.

@Pura_Vida wrote:

Message 70 of 460
Pura_Vida
Tutor

I don't have a screen shot, but it's slow overall speed, particularly download speeds.  My wired speeds are 950/950 (plan is 1000/1000), which is fine.  If I'm very close to the base router, I can get 400/700, but if I am further away, the speeds usually don't exceed 200-300 up or down.  They may be slightly better, if I'm very close to the satellites, but usually not exceeding 350-450.

The app I'm referring to is the Orbi app on my iPhone.

Message 71 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Generally, depending upon device design and support, most 2x2 mobile devices stop out at around 300-700 depending and also distance from signal source will be factor. The farther away from the signal source, the speeds will degrade. Nature of the wifi beast. 

I usually see around same speeds at greater distances. Closer the RBR or RBS, of course, speeds are up there. 

Most 2x2 devices will notsee anything near 900Mpbs. Wired you should of course. 

If you have any 4x4 devices, then you may see 900Mpps or over. 

@Pura_Vida wrote:

I don't have a screen shot, but it's slow overall speed, particularly download speeds.  My wired speeds are 950/950 (plan is 1000/1000), which is fine.  If I'm very close to the base router, I can get 400/700, but if I am further away, the speeds usually don't exceed 200-300 up or down.  They may be slightly better, if I'm very close to the satellites, but usually not exceeding 350-450.

The app I'm referring to is the Orbi app on my iPhone.

Message 72 of 460
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What PINK lights are you referring too?

Did you power OFF the system after the FW was applied for 1 minute or longer then back ON? Also be sure to do same thing with ISP modem/ONT. If the RBR was PINK, be sure to check the ISP connection. 

Might try a full reset on the system.

My systems has been online for almost 24 hours, doing ok thus far.

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.21-0

seal_services: v2.1.5.9-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 10.84%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 331 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 0 days 23:15:50

Hey @FURRYe38 I actually meant Magneta (Hey for me it's just pink lol), and yes, like I said on my first post on this thread, I did full turn off Satellite first, then Orbi main unit, then Modem. Waited about 3 minutes then did the reverse starting with the Modem first, giving enough time for each device to settle before turning the next one back on.

I did not try a full reset this time because I just did it last week with the previous version you had posted about on this forum. Anyway, this software is defenately more stable than the official release, so I'm glad I have it installed.

So for it's been an additional 4 days without issues, which was almost an impossible time to accomplish with the official release. But I still def have issues as it has already crashed once with this version as I stated on my previous post.

I still have faith that when this is officially released it will be even more stable.

Message 73 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

Mines doing good as well:

System Uptime: 4 days 06:49:21

@Ely wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What PINK lights are you referring too?

Did you power OFF the system after the FW was applied for 1 minute or longer then back ON? Also be sure to do same thing with ISP modem/ONT. If the RBR was PINK, be sure to check the ISP connection. 

Might try a full reset on the system.

My systems has been online for almost 24 hours, doing ok thus far.

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.21-0

seal_services: v2.1.5.9-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 10.84%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 331 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 0 days 23:15:50

Hey @FURRYe38 I actually meant Magneta (Hey for me it's just pink lol), and yes, like I said on my first post on this thread, I did full turn off Satellite first, then Orbi main unit, then Modem. Waited about 3 minutes then did the reverse starting with the Modem first, giving enough time for each device to settle before turning the next one back on.

I did not try a full reset this time because I just did it last week with the previous version you had posted about on this forum. Anyway, this software is defenately more stable than the official release, so I'm glad I have it installed.

So for it's been an additional 4 days without issues, which was almost an impossible time to accomplish with the official release. But I still def have issues as it has already crashed once with this version as I stated on my previous post.

I still have faith that when this is officially released it will be even more stable.

Message 74 of 460
NGSvensk
Apprentice

I have the exact same experince as you do ...4.6.6.11  is better at choosing the satellite.

Message 75 of 460
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7