Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

Garwoofoo
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

Thanks, all good suggestions. I am a bit constrained in terms of changing/testing the cables as the bulk of the cabling between the RBR and the RBS is a long shielded CAT6 cable that runs round the outside of the house. Then there are two short lengths at either end that connect to the devices. One of those short lengths is CAT5E, I can see if I have any spare CAT6 cable that I can swap to keep the run consistent.

My other RBS uses wireless backhaul and is in a location without any ethernet cabling so it's hard to do 1:1 comparisons with the way the devices behave.

I was mostly curious to see if other people with wired RBS satellites were experiencing the same thing, a couple of people in this thread had mentioned seeing Hop Counts of 255 as well. I've already spent quite a lot of time troubleshooting this issue (especially as it isn't causing me any actual issues!) and if others are also seeing the same thing then it probably isn't a problem with my setup at all.

Message 426 of 460
kolella
Apprentice

@Garwoofoo wrote:

Over the last few days, @Chuck_M and I have been working together to try and resolve the Hop Count issue I've been observing on one of my satellites - I thought I'd post our findings here in case it is of use.

Observed behaviour: in the debug page for my wired RBS satellite, the Hop Count shows as 1 (as you would expect) immediately following a reboot, but between 24 and 36 hours later, this switches to a value of 255.

Maybe it's just reporting a wireless backhaul hop count setting.

255 -> wired backaul has higher priority

Message 427 of 460
kolella
Apprentice

@kolella wrote:

@Garwoofoo wrote:

Over the last few days, @Chuck_M and I have been working together to try and resolve the Hop Count issue I've been observing on one of my satellites - I thought I'd post our findings here in case it is of use.

Observed behaviour: in the debug page for my wired RBS satellite, the Hop Count shows as 1 (as you would expect) immediately following a reboot, but between 24 and 36 hours later, this switches to a value of 255.

Maybe it's just reporting a wireless backhaul hop count setting.

255 -> wired backaul has higher priority

wireless.BhAp2.wps_pbc='3'
wireless.BhAp2.wps_config='virtual_push_button physical_push_button'
wireless.BhAp2.root_distance='255'
wireless.BhAp2.rts='64'
wireless.BhAp5=wifi-iface
wireless.BhAp5.network='backhaul'

Message 428 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

Aaaand I've just spotted the same wired satellite "rebooting" (loss of connectivity followed by flashing white lights and then a solid blue light) completely at random in the middle of the day. So I guess that problem isn't resolved either, I don't know if it's connected to the Hop Count 255 issue or not. I'd thought that setting CTS/RTS to 500 had resolved this random reboot issue and while it may have helped, it clearly hasn't completely prevented this behaviour.

Worth noting that it's not a complete reboot: the system uptime for the satellite has not reset.

This appears to be the same problem described in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK853-With-Ethernet-Backhaul-Satell...

In that case the poster went through two different Orbi sets and multiple firmware updates/factory resets without ever resolving the issue, eventually giving up and replacing the set for a competitor's brand.

Exasperated now, I've checked all the physical connections and cables (as did the poster above) and like them, I'm now convinced this is a firmware issue. It certainly seems specific to wired satellites. I hope Netgear roll out something new soon.

Message 429 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

(never mind - post deleted)

Message 430 of 460
michaelc5
Tutor

I was on this version of FW.  Thank you.  I heard there was a beta version released after this one?

Message 431 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

What version are you on now? 

@michaelc5 wrote:

I was on this version of FW.  Thank you.  I heard there was a beta version released after this one?

Message 432 of 460
michaelc5
Tutor

Message 433 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 434 of 460
michaelc5
Tutor

Is there a newer version you can share?

Message 435 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Nothing available at this time. 

Message 436 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

My satellite problems finally seem to have been resolved by switching the satellite to wireless backhaul. No more spontaneous disconnects, no more Hop Count issues. Everything is stable and speeds are excellent.

I've done a lot of testing around this over the last week or so and I genuinely don't believe that there is a problem with my ethernet cabling - all the cables and connections have been tested and I have a number of other devices connected to the same switch that the satellite was connected to, including an Xbox that is used heavily for online gaming where any interruption in the connection or network issues of any kind would immediately lead to howls of outrage from my son. Removing the switch from the setup also didn't resolve the issues. Only switching the satellite to wireless backhaul has fixed things.

My conclusion is that there are still issues with this beta firmware that affect satellites with wired backhaul specifically. This is not based just on my own experience but from other threads on this board as well. There may be other factors too of course (maybe a mixture of wired and wireless satellites exacerbates the issue? I don't know). However I hope this observation helps others still struggling with the stability of their Orbi setup. If your wired satellites are displaying unreliable behaviour, try them wireless for a while and see if it helps the situation.

Message 437 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Could you please draw up a diagram of how your Orbi system is configured, placed and please include the ISP modem and switch and LAN cabling runs from the RBR and RBS. 

Message 438 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

Sure. I'll send you a private message to avoid derailing the thread further.

Message 439 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious if anyone has seen any Memory Usage spikes upwards or towards maximum usage value and if so, see any problems?

Message 440 of 460
cdp1276
Star

After a solid month of stability under this firmware, I'm back to a every 2 weeks Orbi base loses internet connection and goes solid pink during the night with lower usage over the past 2 weeks. I have made ZERO changes and can't find a cause. I seriously hope Netgear releases a new production ready firmware soon. This is seriously embarrasing for a software company to have gone this long without updates for a clearly defective currently released firmware!!

Message 441 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the system after updating FW or power cycle the system OFF then back ON? 

Did you happen to see if your memory usage was near max or maxed out? 

Is the loss of internet on the RBR happening only once or more then that? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Possible that the ISP service droppped suddenly causing the RBR to stop working...

@cdp1276 wrote:

After a solid month of stability under this firmware, I'm back to a every 2 weeks Orbi base loses internet connection and goes solid pink during the night with lower usage over the past 2 weeks. I have made ZERO changes and can't find a cause. I seriously hope Netgear releases a new production ready firmware soon. This is seriously embarrasing for a software company to have gone this long without updates for a clearly defective currently released firmware!!

Message 442 of 460
cdp1276
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you factory reset the system after updating FW or power cycle the system OFF then back ON? YES, did you read I was up for over a month and see my other posts of proof.

Did you happen to see if your memory usage was near max or maxed out? Yes, see my posts I reported on this many times

Is the loss of internet on the RBR happening only once or more then that? Has been twice now in the last 30 days, every 7-10 days

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Posted on this already too, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

The xfinity ISP gateway is:

Model: CGM4331COM
Product Type: XB7

Possible that the ISP service droppped suddenly causing the RBR to stop working...

@cdp1276 wrote:

Message 443 of 460
tjtrimble
Luminary

Mine crept up to 738MB over a few weeks then went back down to 627MB 2 days later.  I saw this same behavior a couple of weeks ago.  I have all the logging turned off...not sure what is being written/stored in memory.  So far it hasn't maxed out and I'm coming up on 60 days up time.

2022-02-27_8-05-13.jpg2022-03-01_13-04-46.jpg

Message 444 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

@cdp1276 wrote:

Did you factory reset the system after updating FW or power cycle the system OFF then back ON? YES, did you read I was up for over a month and see my other posts of proof.

Did you happen to see if your memory usage was near max or maxed out? Yes, see my posts I reported on this many times

Is the loss of internet on the RBR happening only once or more then that? Has been twice now in the last 30 days, every 7-10 days

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Posted on this already too, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

And you didn't respond and let us know what the configuration of the ISP Modem was in. Is it bridged, if not, are you using the DMZ for the ISP modem? This modem already has a built in router and wifi so this can also be a factor in the RBR not getting good services or serivces drop for unknown reasons on this modem/router. the only thing you mention was that you had not used the DMZ. DMZ will be needed if the ISP modem is in router mode with the RBR in router mode.

Something to try as well, use the ISP modem in router mode and set the RBR to AP mode. 

Message 445 of 460
cdp1276
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@cdp1276 wrote:

And you didn't respond and let us know what the configuration of the ISP Modem was in. Is it bridged, if not, are you using the DMZ for the ISP modem? This modem already has a built in router and wifi so this can also be a factor in the RBR not getting good services or serivces drop for unknown reasons on this modem/router. the only thing you mention was that you had not used the DMZ. DMZ will be needed if the ISP modem is in router mode with the RBR in router mode.

Something to try as well, use the ISP modem in router mode and set the RBR to AP mode. 

The ISP xfinity modem is NOT in bridge mode and wont be, plus DMZ and wi-fi is disabled. I get your perspective but there are reasons I will not do this. The orbi would never know that it was being NAT’d again further upstream (by the xfinity router) besides trying to determine its actual internet IP, so I don’t see how that would cause a memory leak in the orbi too. Also why do you feel DMZ is needed? It is not recommended and creates security risks.

I will also point out before the faulty firmware I was stable for YEARS! No changes to bet setup or config and not going to make a ton of changes to prove where we all know the fault is here, Netgear Firmware.

Message 446 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Again DMZ is needed in if you have upstream router and the RBR is in router mode. This creates a Double NAT condition. Which is NOT recommended and could cause odd issues like your seeing. Using the DMZ on the ISP router doesn't create a security risk since the RBR has it's own Firewall so you have security here. Having two firewalls and two routers on the same line can cause problems. I seen this many times as others have. And trying to narrow down and rule out these issues first before we can validate this is a FW issue. 

Others on this thread are seeing good long up times with out any odd loss of internet services on the RBR. I haven't either, however I don't have this particular modem and I presume others may not as well and we are in a single NAT configuration is is highly recommended. DMZ is a tool useful for modems that can not be configured for bridge mode.  Look up DMZ or IP pass thru to get more of an understanding of uses for them. 

If you don't want to give the DMZ a try, then configure AP mode on the RBR and see what happens. It's up to you to try the suggestions. If not, you'll need to contact NG support and let them know what your seeing and or wait for new FW release. 

Good Luck.

@cdp1276 wrote:

The ISP xfinity modem is NOT in bridge mode and wont be, plus DMZ and wi-fi is disabled. I get your perspective but there are reasons I will not do this. The orbi would never know that it was being NAT’d again further upstream (by the xfinity router) besides trying to determine its actual internet IP, so I don’t see how that would cause a memory leak in the orbi too. Also why do you feel DMZ is needed? It is not recommended and creates security risks.

I will also point out before the faulty firmware I was stable for YEARS! No changes to bet setup or config and not going to make a ton of changes to prove where we all know the fault is here, Netgear Firmware.

Message 447 of 460
Validus
Luminary

I find v4.6.3.16 and this version v4.6.7.5 to be a lot more stable than the past versions.

Both seem to be similar. Only difference I've noticed is a slightly longer log. Still doesn't log ddos attacks or anything actually useful in there though.

Intermittent DNS Errors still appear over time, but just rarely.

I did consider there might be a memory leak in the past. However, CPU load and memory usage tend to remain around the same. I will reboot the router every now and then to get best performance without those DNS Errors. 

CPU Load: 10.56%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 325 MB/874 MB

With 6 days uptime.

Message 448 of 460
Eriksen76
Apprentice

@Validus wrote:

I find v4.6.3.16 and this version v4.6.7.5 to be a lot more stable than the past versions.

Both seem to be similar. Only difference I've noticed is a slightly longer log. Still doesn't log ddos attacks or anything actually useful in there though.

Intermittent DNS Errors still appear over time, but just rarely.

I did consider there might be a memory leak in the past. However, CPU load and memory usage tend to remain around the same. I will reboot the router every now and then to get best performance without those DNS Errors. 

CPU Load: 10.56%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 325 MB/874 MB

With 6 days uptime.

How to see that log about CPU load and Memory Usage? So far I have no issues on 4.6.7.5 on my 2 weeks old system.

Message 449 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

routerIPAddress/debug.htm

@Eriksen76 wrote:

How to see that log about CPU load and Memory Usage? So far I have no issues on 4.6.7.5 on my 2 weeks old system.

Message 450 of 460
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7