Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New setup, RBR760 and 2 satellites- backhaul poor on 5 GHz

Jjersey63
Apprentice

New setup, RBR760 and 2 satellites- backhaul poor on 5 GHz

Is there any way to force the backhaul status to use 2.4 vs 5?  The reason I ask is I get a backhaul status of poor on 5 GHz and good on 2.4 GHz.  But what I am finding is the satellites will drop to 5 GHz and stay in 2.4. - I don’t think I see a performance issue but I’ll need to double check I am connecting to the satellite first, but is this an issue or not?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: New setup, RBR760 and 2 satellites- backhaul poor on 5 GHz

2.4ghz is significantly slower than 5ghz. Even in a poor status, the 5ghz is more likely still faster. Plus its a dedicated backhaul. When it uses the 2.4ghz, that 2.4ghz is then used for fronthaul and backhaul and it can't do both at once. So that link operates at 50% throughput of what it'd have because a satellite can't talk to the router and a device at the same time. Thats why dedicated backhauls became so popular. 

And the orbi will auto-negotiate to use the 2.4ghz if the 5ghz deteriorates to badly. 

so I wouldn't worry about it. 

(but no you can't force it)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: New setup, RBR760 and 2 satellites- backhaul poor on 5 GHz

2.4ghz is significantly slower than 5ghz. Even in a poor status, the 5ghz is more likely still faster. Plus its a dedicated backhaul. When it uses the 2.4ghz, that 2.4ghz is then used for fronthaul and backhaul and it can't do both at once. So that link operates at 50% throughput of what it'd have because a satellite can't talk to the router and a device at the same time. Thats why dedicated backhauls became so popular. 

And the orbi will auto-negotiate to use the 2.4ghz if the 5ghz deteriorates to badly. 

so I wouldn't worry about it. 

(but no you can't force it)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7