Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No online update available on RBR850 RBS850 + Blue light stuck on 1 Satellite

LMAPODREY
Aspirant

No online update available on RBR850 RBS850 + Blue light stuck on 1 Satellite

I have recently bought a set of 1 router and 2 satellites for my home network.

I am still on 4.6.3.16 and none of Orbi management tools (web and app) can find the new firmware to update online...manual update is painful and not user friendly as far as I have read on this very forum.

Come on Netgear, rolling out a FW to all of your customers should not be that difficult...1st disapointment

I have read somehwehere in the release note that the new FW 4.6.8.2 would correct issues of constant blue light on some satellites which is my case on one of my satellites... BTW, this satellite have had some weird behavior (like rebooting in loop ?)  since the begining but since we cant see proper logs of each satellite, it is is difficult to know what is the problem... 2nd disapointment

I bought this very pricey system thinking that this would be an easy solution to manage my home network (around 45 devices connected) in replacement of Google Nest Mesh system which showed some limitations.

Performance wise it is better with around 650 Mb/s down and 400 Mb/s up anywhere in my 3 storeys house (thanks to wifi 6 which is not supported by Nest system btw).

Factory resetting is an easy answer that I am sorry but can't accept given the premium price of this system. It has to work properly straight out of the box and not be so inconsistent in its behavior. My conclusion is that the excellent hardware of this system is limited by poor software development from Netgear.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: No online update available on RBR850 RBS850 + Blue light stuck on 1 Satellite

How to manually update your system is linked here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-and-850-Series-Firmware-Versi...

It's fairly easy to manually update the RBS using there web pages first. Then you update the RBR lastly using same process. Maybe have someone help you out. 

Otherwise you'll need to wait for NG to officially make new FW available. With recent auto update events causing problem. I would NOT be waiting around for a the next FW update to appear there. 

Message 2 of 6
LMAPODREY
Aspirant

Re: No online update available on RBR850 RBS850 + Blue light stuck on 1 Satellite

Thanks FURRYe38, I was aware of your post with the latest FW but was unsure if it is still recommended to go with this latest FW since Netgear has stopped to roll it out...

basically I have the choice of going for latest FW with manual update (with the risk of making things worse) or just to stick with current firmware and its flaws. Cornelian dilemma...

To me, Netgear has a lot of progresses to make to be on par with other companies like Sonos, Apple and other compagnies selling premium HW but also providing premium user experience, plug and play devices, good support and fully tested software.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If your system is working you might keep what's loaded for now. If you decide to update, then update the RBS first. THEN update the RBR lastly. 

Message 4 of 6
LMAPODREY
Aspirant

Updated 4 days ago to latest FW Satellites and then Router as per your instructions.

Seems to have worked, no constant reboot anymore on the previously faulty satellite, signal seems good and stable since then  BUT I cant access to the App or web interface anymore.

I restarted the router (waiting 10 sec every time)  a dozens of time the last 4 days and still no luck. Netgear support told me that my device SN was on the list for the auto fix but at the end it is not getting fixed...

Starting to be truly fed up with all this R&D**bleep** from Netgear. This is not what I paid for.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Review this if your having problems with the Orbi app. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-Web-Page-and-Orbi-app-Access-Status/td-p/2223085/jump...

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7