Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not sending IP address after power outage

Jberame
Follower

Not sending IP address after power outage

Hi,

I had the same issue with the router every power failure. Upon further investigation I found that the main culprit is that Orbi is not able to keep the DHCP addresses reserved after power failure and if multiple devices connects at the same time it causes an IP address conflict which in the end cause some devices not able to reconnect. So far my solution is to turn off power for the entire house except where the main router is. I turn the router breaker first and let it load. I then turn on each of the other breakers and wait at least 1 minute before turning each other on. Works everytime when I have this issue.

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Not sending IP address after power outage

@Jberame wrote:

Orbi is not able to keep the DHCP addresses reserved after power failure and if multiple devices connects at the same time it causes an IP address conflict which in the end cause some devices not able to reconnect.

• Is this a power failure that affects the entire house?
  • Does "addresses reserved" mean that the device MAC addresses have been entered into the LAN Setup table ands specific IPs assigned to each device?

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Model Orbi do you have? 

What FW version is currently loaded?

@Jberame wrote:

Hi,

I had the same issue with the router every power failure. Upon further investigation I found that the main culprit is that Orbi is not able to keep the DHCP addresses reserved after power failure and if multiple devices connects at the same time it causes an IP address conflict which in the end cause some devices not able to reconnect. So far my solution is to turn off power for the entire house except where the main router is. I turn the router breaker first and let it load. I then turn on each of the other breakers and wait at least 1 minute before turning each other on. Works everytime when I have this issue.

Message 3 of 4
BullMoon
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Jberame wrote:

Orbi is not able to keep the DHCP addresses reserved after power failure and if multiple devices connects at the same time it causes an IP address conflict which in the end cause some devices not able to reconnect.

• Is this a power failure that affects the entire house?
  • Does "addresses reserved" mean that the device MAC addresses have been entered into the LAN Setup table ands specific IPs assigned to each device?

Good question about how you are reserving IP addresses.  You can do it in the Orbi app by Mac address, or you can do it at the device by setting it to a static IP versus DHCP.  Either way, it is best to have a block of reserved IP addresses outside of the DHCP range.  For example, I use 192.168.1-192.168.149 for static IP address (some at the device, some set at the Orbi) and the Orbi DHCP range is set to 192.168.1.150-192.168.1.254.  That way, the Orbi will not hand out an IP address in my static range to any other device that gets any available DHCP address.

BullMoon_0-1705965660212.png

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7