Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI 960 Ethernet Backhaul Status Out of Sync

Ruegs
Tutor

ORBI 960 Ethernet Backhaul Status Out of Sync

I'm running an ORBI 960 with two satellites connected to my LAN via Ethernet. I've had to replace the router due to a power surge from my local utility which damaged my original 960. Everything is working fine after half a day except that, when I use the web interface for the router, the Backhaul Status of both satellites is 'Out of Sync'. I have tried all the usual things - used the Sync button, factory reset of the satellites, powering off and on, firmware is current - but their status doesn't change.

Additionally, I've noted the following strange behavior that I imagine is related. On the ORBI router web interface, all the attached devices (56 of them) show as connected to the router. When I look at the iOS ORBI app and select either one of the satellites, they both show as having no attached devices. BUT, when I use the web interface for the satellites, they show having numerous devices attached. Additionally, the devices showing as attached wirelessly on the satellite web interface show as attached via wire on the browser's web interface (I've confirmed this by looking at the assigned IP addresses). This last makes sense in a way since the satellites are connected via ethernet to the router.

Thinks are working and maybe I shouldn't care about the backhaul status but the behavior is troubling and the conflicting reports of attached devices is also worrisome.

I'm hoping someone here might have some insights. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

When the replacement router arrived, did you go through the usual setup procedure of

• Setting the router password
  • Defining the WiFi SSID/password
  • Connecting each satellite to the router
    (I prefer to initially sync the satellite over WiFi in the same room as the router - so I can watch everything from one place)  Then connect a short Ethernet cable and verify that the satellite transitions (eventually) from WiFi backhaul to wired backhaul.  Finally, move the satellite to the desired remote location.
  • Was the replacement router set up using the Orbi 'app' or the web interface? (http://orbilogin.net ) ?
Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the FW on the RBS the same as whats on the RBR? FW needs to be the same.

Try and factory reset the RBS then power them OFF. I would bring both RBS into same room as the RBR for ease of this sync operation. 
Then remove both RBS from the RBRs web page Basic tab/Wireless. 

Then under Advanced tab/Advanced settings/Wireless, select Generate new Backhaul Password. 

Turn ON the RBS one at a time. Use the RBRs web page to Add Satellite. 
Wait for the front LED to turn BLUE and then OFF. Keep refreshing the RBRs web page to check status. By the time the front LED turns OFF, status should show GOOD. If so, turn off RBS then turn on next RBS and do same thing. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@Ruegs wrote:

I'm running an ORBI 960 with two satellites connected to my LAN via Ethernet. I've had to replace the router due to a power surge from my local utility which damaged my original 960. Everything is working fine after half a day except that, when I use the web interface for the router, the Backhaul Status of both satellites is 'Out of Sync'. I have tried all the usual things - used the Sync button, factory reset of the satellites, powering off and on, firmware is current - but their status doesn't change.

Additionally, I've noted the following strange behavior that I imagine is related. On the ORBI router web interface, all the attached devices (56 of them) show as connected to the router. When I look at the iOS ORBI app and select either one of the satellites, they both show as having no attached devices. BUT, when I use the web interface for the satellites, they show having numerous devices attached. Additionally, the devices showing as attached wirelessly on the satellite web interface show as attached via wire on the browser's web interface (I've confirmed this by looking at the assigned IP addresses). This last makes sense in a way since the satellites are connected via ethernet to the router.

Thinks are working and maybe I shouldn't care about the backhaul status but the behavior is troubling and the conflicting reports of attached devices is also worrisome.

I'm hoping someone here might have some insights. Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 9
Ruegs
Tutor

Thank you for your response.

Starting in the Orbi app, I set up the router and WiFi passwords.

I next launched the Orbi web interface and changed the network to a 10... series of IP addresses rather than the default 192... series (I have some devices where I've defined their IP addresses and didn't want to go through all that again). The satellites were already appearing on the list of devices at this stage (although without backhaul sync working). I next uploaded a configuration file I had saved from the old router setup so I didn't have to reconfigure IP reservations, DNS servers, etc.

I'm starting to consider whether it makes sense to delete the satellites from the network and then re-add from scratch. I've also worried that my original purchase over a year ago was for the router and two satellite bundle and that somehow those three are married to each other and the introduction of a new router is more complicated that it would otherwise be.

Don't know if any of the sheds light on things.

Message 4 of 9
Ruegs
Tutor

Thank you for your response!

The firmware on the router and both satellites is the same (6.3.7.10).

I've tried the factory reset and powering off but perhaps not quickly enough since they rejoined the network prior to the powering off. I'll give that a shot.

Regarding removing the RBSs from that tab, I don't see a selection on that page.

Regarding generating a new backhaul password, is that used in a wired setting?

As I noted in another reply, I will try removing the satellites and then adding them again - maybe that will be the answer - I'll post back if it works.

The home is a 3,000 Sq Ft ranch and I have a number of devices outdoors which is one of the reasons I have two satellites at different ends of the house. The satellites are each 40 to 60 feet from the router and can connect wirelessly if needed.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@Ruegs wrote:

Thank you for your response!

The firmware on the router and both satellites is the same (6.3.7.10).

I've tried the factory reset and powering off but perhaps not quickly enough since they rejoined the network prior to the powering off. I'll give that a shot.

Regarding removing the RBSs from that tab, I don't see a selection on that page.

You'll see this when the RBS are turned OFF. 

Regarding generating a new backhaul password, is that used in a wired setting? No. 

As I noted in another reply, I will try removing the satellites and then adding them again - maybe that will be the answer - I'll post back if it works.

Ok. 

The home is a 3,000 Sq Ft ranch and I have a number of devices outdoors which is one of the reasons I have two satellites at different ends of the house. The satellites are each 40 to 60 feet from the router and can connect wirelessly if needed.

Possible maybe a a bit too far. Definitely try getting the RBS to fully sync with the RBS in same room as the RBR. Once fully synced, then place back in remote locations. 

Message 6 of 9
Ruegs
Tutor

So, the current status is unchanged. I've done the following:

1) I've removed both RBS units, factory reset them, added them back (using a wireless connection with the RBS and RBR in the same room) - still no sync. Although it showed good for a few seconds before reverting to Out of Sync. After connecting them via Ethernet, still no sync.

2) I had two unused RBS units (don't ask), factory reset them (just to make sure), added them to the system (using a wireless connection with the RBS and RBR in the same room) - still no sync. Although, again, it showed good for a few seconds before reverting to Out of Sync. After connecting them via Ethernet, still no sync.

Since my network is working and my 60+ devices are all connected and recognized in my automation apps, I'm beginning to think I'm chasing ghosts. The app and router web page are not accurate representations of what is going on with the network but if I need to see what is going on at the RBS level, I can just go their web pages. I might try Netgear support but life is short.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would go ahead and make contact with NG support ASAP. Seems like something has failed and needs to be RMAd. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

@KevinLiT 

@Straq 

Message 8 of 9
Straq
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

My main concern is #2. The fact the even wireless it appear out of sync is not a good sign. There is a probability that maybe going from 192.x.x.x to 10.x.x.x might have caused to go out of sync. 

If you have the time, can you also factory reset router plus satellites, start from fresh. Then after you onboard on Orbi APP or on 192.168.1.1, wait about 5 minutes. All wireless and satellites in same room as router. 

After this, check if the satellites are in sync. If they are great! If they are not, we have an issue. 

If it is in sync, proceed to change to 10.x.x.x and wait 5 minutes. Check again if the satellites are in sync. If they are not then 10.x.x.x change might be the issue and we will look into this issue. If it is sync, might had been a sequencing issue of how things are onboarded and will also need to look into this.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7