Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI 960 and Epson 16650

Talon38
Tutor

ORBI 960 and Epson 16650

I purchased a new ORBI 960 system.  I also had an Epson WorkForce Pro, but after a few weeks, I began having problems with the printer.  I assumed (you know what assume means) that it was the printer, so gave it to a friend.  At his home, the printer is working great.  I purchased a new Epson ET-16650 and it worked for a week or so, but I've now redone the software and connections, wasting several weeks, and can't get it to continuously work.  Anyone else with these problems?

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Talon38
Tutor

This is my final comment on this subject as the printer and Orbis are now working together very well.  I tried using an Apple Airport, suggested on another site, but could not find the software for a Mac (still available for iPhone and iPad).  I then did a wired connection from the printer to the Orbi and "voila" my computer found the drivers and completed the setup.  All is now working for the past couple of weeks.  

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you contacted Epson for there help and information regarding there product? 

If the printer has a ethernet connection port, has this been given a try? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 2 of 13
Talon38
Tutor

House approximately 6500 sq ft.  I have five 960s including the main router connected to a new CM2000.  The internet works fine for everything but the printer.  I haven't addressed Epson yet because I've spent much time with the assumption that it's the Orbi since the first printer works fine elsewhere and worked great before the Orbi (Apple network).  Ideas?  

Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

This Epson appears to have USB, Ethernet, and 802.11ac WiFi.

https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Inkjet/EcoTank-Pro-ET-16650-Wide-format-All-in-One-Supertank-Pri... 

Would be useful to know how this printer is connected to the Orbi system.

I am puzzled by the remark, "worked for a week or so, but I've now redone the software and connections."  This was because the printer stopped working?  (or.... for some other reason?)

As a really old computer guy, I have a strong preference for printers to have a stable IP address, which I achieve by using the LAN Setup table on the Orbi web interface to assign an IP to the printer.

Message 4 of 13
Talon38
Tutor

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  The printer worked for a week and then stopped working.  If it hadn't stopped, I wouldn't need help 😊, I'd be printing instead.  It was connected with wifi with excellent connection according to the printer screen until about ten minutes ago.  I'm working on a LAN connection.  It appears that the Orbi system and certain printers won't work together.  

Message 5 of 13
Talon38
Tutor

OK, so I ran Cat 6 from the router to the printer.  My computer instantly recognized the printer and can print.  Epson's wireless top-of-the-line printer needs a wire to work.  Who knew?!!!  Maybe an Epson wireful printer?  Just sayin'...

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have 4 RBS and the RBR right? 

Seems a bit much for that size of home. I have my RBK953 series with only 2 and get plenty of coverage for my 5000sq ft home and 3 levels. 

Wondering if your printer is having a bad time dealing with all the different signals coming from all 5 sources. 

What happens if you turn OFF all but 2 RBS? Might even try to see if the printer will connect with not RBS's online. 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 7 of 13
Talon38
Tutor

Yes, we have 5 Orbis.  Perhaps we should sell a couple of them.  Does anyone want a 960 cheap?

Kidding.  We actually have an L-shaped house and three did not work, so we added two more.  I don't normally include the 2500 ft or so of a garage, but it is covered by wifi as well.  I restore old cars for fun.  

Anyway, the system seems to be working with the addition of a cat 6 cable, so I'll go with that.  I'll do a f/u in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help!! 

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 13
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@Talon38 

Glad you got it working via wired connection.   That being said - while not the same exact printer, I have an Epson ET-4750 working fine with the Orbi 960 line (router and 2 satellites) and connected via WiFi.   This is what I ended up doing.

After I connected the printer to the network, I then set up a reserved address for the printer so that it always had the same IP.  After setting up the reserved address and ensuing reboot - I re-ran the Epson setup program insuring that I selected it was connected as a NETWORK printer.   The set up program searched the network, found the printer, and then did the necessary background driver installations and windows setup stuff (not sure if you are running via Windows or iOS).   The printer setup utility was run on every PC that I was going to print from  (I have 4 PCs always connected, but just the one printer).

Once completed, I have had a steady connection wirelessly to the printer for months.   Even after turning printer off while on vacation - it reconnected automatically and quickly once turned back on, and all PCs can print to it with no issues.

As another poster mentioned - it could be that with the number of satellites you have - the printer connection could be bouncing between satellites which is why it was good at one point in time, then bad at another point in time.   While I only have two satellites - my connection is pretty stable with it connecting to the router (which is in the same room as the printer) and staying connected to the router.  

Message 10 of 13
Talon38
Tutor

This is my final comment on this subject as the printer and Orbis are now working together very well.  I tried using an Apple Airport, suggested on another site, but could not find the software for a Mac (still available for iPhone and iPad).  I then did a wired connection from the printer to the Orbi and "voila" my computer found the drivers and completed the setup.  All is now working for the past couple of weeks.  

Message 11 of 13
Talon38
Tutor

I should also mention that all five Orbis are insync as well and working very nicely.  

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. 😉

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements