Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI AX 4200 CHANGE ROUTER TO EXTENDER

arobinson8
Aspirant

ORBI AX 4200 CHANGE ROUTER TO EXTENDER

Hi can you please help me with this.

At present I have my main router in the garden office, running at 1Gb fibe-optic, cat 6 from the router to the house with an extender at the end of it.

I would like to use the mesh system. I'm looking at replacing my existing extender with the Orbi AX4200, making it an extender and using the 2 satellites.

My questions are.....

Can I make the Orbi router an extender and once it is an extender , will the satellites recignise the extender and pair with it?

I have attached a diagram of what I want to do.

Thanks Allan

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: ORBI AX 4200 CHANGE ROUTER TO EXTENDER

You can run it in access point mode. It'd work just as your diagram depects. in access point mode, it leaves the primary "main router from your diagram" running in router mode and just acts as a wireless access point and controlls the other satellites. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can run it in access point mode. It'd work just as your diagram depects. in access point mode, it leaves the primary "main router from your diagram" running in router mode and just acts as a wireless access point and controlls the other satellites. 

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi routers can't operate in RBS mode. 

@arobinson8 wrote:

Hi can you please help me with this.

At present I have my main router in the garden office, running at 1Gb fibe-optic, cat 6 from the router to the house with an extender at the end of it.

I would like to use the mesh system. I'm looking at replacing my existing extender with the Orbi AX4200, making it an extender and using the 2 satellites.

My questions are.....

Can I make the Orbi router an extender and once it is an extender , will the satellites recignise the extender and pair with it?

I have attached a diagram of what I want to do.

Thanks Allan

Message 3 of 7
arobinson8
Aspirant

Thanks thats a great help. I will now purchase one and set it up as an extender. 

Have a great day

Message 4 of 7
arobinson8
Aspirant

how many satellites can the ORBI AX 4200 handle. I know you can buy the pack with 2 satillites , just wondering if I could connect another external one

Thanks 

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Official support says you can have up to 6 satellites with a maximum of 2 in a daisy chain. It says you can add more than 6 but expect performance hits. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 6 of 7
arobinson8
Aspirant

thanks , great help

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements