Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI AX Guest Network not broadcasting on Satellites

dcraig
Guide

ORBI AX Guest Network not broadcasting on Satellites

I was hoping the latest firmware would fix the problem, but it hasn't.  When I turn on the Guest network functionality, the SSID for the Guest network is not being broadcast by the Satellites.  I can see and connect to the Guest network when in range of the Router (RBR850), but when I move out of range of the Router and into the range of one of the Satellites (RBS850), my device can no longer see or attach to the Guest network.  I know this is the case because one of my Satellites is in a separate building which is wired directly back to the Router and is completely out of wireless range to the Router itself. 

I am running on the latest firmware V3.2.15.25 for all devices.

I have (1) RBR850 in Router mode with (2) RBS850 Satellites using wired backhaul.

Also curious why there in no reference to the Guest network when I log into the web GUI for the Satellites.  There are references to the Secure side of my network, but no reference to the Guest network.  See screenshot attached.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
dcraig
Guide

I found the problem was being created by a Netgear GS724Tv4 24-port managed switch.  Taking that out of the mix, and placing a Netgear GS108 switch on each end, and the RBR and RBS connected to the switches, they connect up properly and the Guest network functions as designed.  Luckily I had an extra GS108 to try.  It was the GS724Tv4 24-port managed switch that was causing the problem, even though I had previously disabled all IGMP protocols and green features.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What mfr and model # switches do you have? Mine are D-Link and HP and mine work here when ethernet connected. 

@dcraig wrote:

I found my problem was due to having switches betweent the hardwired Router and Sats.  Once I removed the switches and had the Sats connected DIRECTLY to the Router via wired backhaul, the problem cleared up.  Now the SATS are broadcasting the Guest network and there is interenet connectivity on it.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset been performed on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch? 

Message 2 of 9
dcraig
Guide

Not recently.  Does this typically solve the problem?  I hate to go through all the setup again and have it make no difference.

This has been a problem since day one, and  was hoping that future firmware updates would solve the problem.  But it hasn't thus far.

When I first noticed this problem, I was running in AP mode.  Then I factory reset everything and set up in Router mode.  But the problem still existed.  Three firmware updates later the problem still lingers.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll see if mine does the same thing...

Guest Network is seen on my RBS: Air SSID

AIR Guest Network EnabledAIR Guest Network Enabled

Message 4 of 9
philoouu
Luminary

Same problem here or almost.
I see the guest network with my satellite I can connect to it with my devices (they appear on the attached devices list connected to the satellite) but there is no Internet available. As soon as I remove the wired backhaul cable and connect to the satellite on the guest network, internet is available...
No idea how to fix that !!! And why it seems to work with other people
Message 5 of 9
dcraig
Guide

I found my problem was due to having switches betweent the hardwired Router and Sats.  Once I removed the switches and had the Sats connected DIRECTLY to the Router via wired backhaul, the problem cleared up.  Now the SATS are broadcasting the Guest network and there is interenet connectivity on it.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What mfr and model # switches do you have? Mine are D-Link and HP and mine work here when ethernet connected. 

@dcraig wrote:

Message 7 of 9
dcraig
Guide

I found the problem was being created by a Netgear GS724Tv4 24-port managed switch.  Taking that out of the mix, and placing a Netgear GS108 switch on each end, and the RBR and RBS connected to the switches, they connect up properly and the Guest network functions as designed.  Luckily I had an extra GS108 to try.  It was the GS724Tv4 24-port managed switch that was causing the problem, even though I had previously disabled all IGMP protocols and green features.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@dcraig wrote:

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation