Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI DHCP

stein97
Aspirant

ORBI DHCP

I have RBR750 with latest firmware.

Few questions on DHCP:

DHCP Lease time, how long is it?

Does everyone make reservations for all thier devices?

After I add a reservation do I need to hit apply and reboot the router or does the reservation take effect?

I realize that I cannot change the DNS ip on the DHCP as this would defeat the purpose of the Netgear Armour feature.

thanks

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Mstrbig
Master

@stein97 wrote:

Few questions on DHCP:

After I add a reservation do I need to hit apply and reboot the router or does the reservation take effect?

I realize that I cannot change the DNS ip on the DHCP as this would defeat the purpose of the Netgear Armour feature.

thanks

You can use the default DHCP lease time with no problem. The Orbi  usually uses the same IP address for the device, once registering it. 

Some people make IP reservations, others don't. My practice is I make reservations for cameras, some gaming systems and troubled PCs, that keep wanting to default to a Microsoft 69 IP address. 

Follow the instructions when adding an IP reservation. The Orbi will reboot if needed.

I don't use Armor, as I feel it slows down the system. I prefer to apply protection to each device that needes it. Primarily working with Windows OS, I use Windows Security as it is as good as anything on the market, rarely gives false positives, and is updated more often than most 3rd party protection. Of course businness environments may be a different situation. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

@stein97 wrote:

Few questions on DHCP:

thanks

You can use the default DHCP lease time with no problem. The Orbi  usually uses the same IP address for the device, once registering it. 

Some people make IP reservations, others don't. My practice is I make reservations for cameras, some gaming systems and troubled PCs, that keep wanting to default to a Microsoft 69 IP address. 

Follow the instructions when adding an IP reservation. The Orbi will reboot if needed.

I don't use Armor, as I feel it slows down the system. I prefer to apply protection to each device that needes it. Primarily working with Windows OS, I use Windows Security as it is as good as anything on the market, rarely gives false positives, and is updated more often than most 3rd party protection. Of course businness environments may be a different situation. 

Message 2 of 7
stein97
Aspirant

Out of the box the DHCP has had  issue, that is why I was wondering about the lease time, Chromebook and Ring Camera got the same IP. Normally this would not have been an issue but with Virtual Learning in full swing having this stupid issue was not fun.

Armour is free for a year so I will see how it goes. I ahve not installed it on any devices I am assuming that the Router is doing DNS check on the site  and blocking that way. 

If I feel the performance is lacking I'll just move over to Pi-hole for DNS & DHCP.

The Xbox had issues with the default Orbi DNS, had to change to 9.9.9.9 and all was good. Once again I am assuming Armour is doing look up on thier system and not the ISP.

So i had asked about reservations is there is an apply option on the LAN setting page. Was wondering if I need to press apply to commit the DHCP reservations.

Also I think it pretty stupid to have to reboot router to commit DHCP changes........... Just saying.

thanks

Message 3 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

Usually the Orbi DNS is the ISP DNS, so you may want to check with your ISP why you are having issues with the Xbox.

Why did you pick Quad9 for DNS, or is that your ISP? You could run DNSbench and find a faster DNS serverthat will work.

Come up with an IP scheme and convert everything to static, by reserving the IP to the MAC address. 

Most routers will reboot after DNS and Static IP changes to re-write the tables. 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@stein97 wrote:

Most of the participants in this forum have the original, WiFi5 residential Orbi products.  There is a separate community forum for the new AX products: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax There are some differences in the new product that we may not be aware of, so posting in the AX forum is more likely to be aware of those differences.

My Orbi lease time is 24 hours, which is pretty standard.  I agree with @Mstrbig that device reservations are an individual practice.  I am like him in that I like to assign IP's to devices that are "permanent" and let more transient devices get an IP from the DHCP pool.  Of course, clicking "Apply" is a requirement, but not a Reboot.

I cannot speak for the AX product, but my experience with the older Orbi is that DHCP management does not behave the way I expected it to.  As long as you create an IP reservation which matches the IP address a device has already received, things go well.  However, if the reservation is for a different IP than the one the device already has, I have found that devices often will not change.

Message 5 of 7
stein97
Aspirant

I use either Quad9 or google, for the xbox I Quad9 because it responded faster.

thanks

Message 6 of 7
stein97
Aspirant

Going over the other forum!

thanks

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos