Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBR850

mrbobcc
Aspirant

ORBI RBR850

Forgot pass word for my router .  Try everything except factory reset.  My question if I do a reset will my ADT, Liftmaster garage door opener, Hunter windows shades hub and gateway auto connect after the reset or do I have to add them all in like a new install?   

Thanks in advance

Robert

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBR850

If the system is configured with exactly the same WiFi credentials (SSID/password), then every WiFi device will recognize and connect to it.  I have done this when changing WiFi routers for nearly 20 years.  Use the same WiFi credentials every time I change.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here, use same SSID name and password and channels when deploying a new router system. You can have both on at the same time. Disconnect the out going router from the ISP modem and connect up the new one. Power cycle or reboot the ISP Modem/ONT so it can get connected to the new modem. Leave the out going router on and placed aside the new router. Once new router is configured and on line, just turn OFF the out going router. Your devices should auto migrate and connect to the new router. Been doing it like this for a long time. Works great and should help avoid the hassle of having to reconnect wifi devices. 

Message 3 of 11
mrbobcc
Aspirant

If I am understanding you right, disconnect modem from Orbi, do a factory reset, then setup the Orbi like a new one, use the same SSID and master password the one that came with the Orbi, power up the modem plug it in to the Orbi and all the device ADT, Therm, etc should migrate to the Orbi.  How does that solve my 192.168.1.1 log on?  Or does that go back to defult when I factory reset? Or simply
put unplug the modem, factory the Orbi, plug it back in to the modem and the Orbi will act like it just came out of the box, set i up like being new using the same ssid and password all device down stream should migrate to orbi. I appreciate your time in this matter because if I screw this up I will be looking for a new home to avoid be shot by wife.
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset clears the admin log in and Wifi SSID configuration. So when you walk thru the setup wizard, you'll be asked to input something for the admin log in, this can be same as well or input something new. When you get to the WiFi SSID configuration use the same configuration you had been using when the other device connected to the other wifi system. 

Message 5 of 11
bullm00n
Luminary

Password recovery is an odd and unintuitive process.  The gist of it is you get to the login prompt from a browser and then select "Cancel" and this will then start the password recovery process. 

Why there's no typical "I forgot" option, who knows. "Cancel" is your friend or at least that has worked for me.  However, if you didn't set up security questions or don't know the answers, you probably have to do the reset which is also easy to get through.

Message 6 of 11
mrbobcc
Aspirant

Ok I do not remember the security question

I was using the defult password on the bottom of the Orbi

I know where to find the SSID in my account but again I can not get there  192.168.1.1 

Where else can I find the SSID in a place that I can get to?

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have the SSID name and PW from the old system, just input this into the RBR with a ethernet connected PC and web browser when you factory reset the RBR. 192.168.1.1 opens a setup wizard and scroll down to the bottom of the the page to find a link saying Don't have a mobile device. Select this. When you select this, the setup wizard process will begin and you be able to enter in new security recovery information here. Be sure to write this down for safe keeping later on if needed. 

Message 8 of 11
bullm00n
Luminary

@mrbobcc wrote:

Ok I do not remember the security question

I was using the defult password on the bottom of the Orbi

I know where to find the SSID in my account but again I can not get there  192.168.1.1 

Where else can I find the SSID in a place that I can get to?

/

Another area of confusion - that password on the bottom is for the default SSID, not the Router Admin.  For the Router browser page, the default is "admin" "password" - both are lowercase.  And then there's the login to your Orbi account on the Orbi App which is different from both of the above - same account you'd login into the Netgear Support page, etc.

If you have done a reset, you'll probably have to connect to the default SSID shown on the bottom and set up from there.  

Message 9 of 11
mrbobcc
Aspirant

Ok got it I used the SSID and password on bottom of ORBI

So now don't disconnect the router, just reset the Orbi to factory defult and and follow the steps as if it was new using the old SSID and old password.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Also you can use a ethernet connected PC to setup the RBR from scratch, and you don't see the default SSID name and password from the bottom. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7