Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI showing connected but no WIFI, Modem going offline occasionally

Tcrus
Luminary

ORBI showing connected but no WIFI, Modem going offline occasionally

Equipment: ORBI RBR850 and a CM1000

I am having WIFI connection issues. My WIFI will be great then it will drop a few times and completely go out. It shows me as connected to WIFI but there is no connection. I do have access through my hardline from the router to PC but no acess from any other deivce connected through the router ports (switches,  xbox, home automation ect). Sometimes I have no connection at all through my hardline and my ISP shows my modem as off line. I swapped out my old CM1000 for a new one just in case it was modem problems and the problem still persists, so I dont think it was my modem. When the connection goes down I can sometimes connect with the hardline and it tells me my WIFI is connected not my devies have no signal, factory reset does not help. Actions I hae taken are

1. New modem

2. Tried a new Router (AX8), that worked

3. Adjusted rts/cts threshhold settings

4, Used a static DNS, was having lots of DNS errors

5. Changed out cables (I kept getting no connection check wires, may be broke messages)

6. Factory resetting of modem

7. ISP resets 

*Note that the resets sometimes did work but not all the time, no consistancy*

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI showing connected but no WIFI, Modem going offline occasionally

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2346 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What happens if you disable AX Mode? 

Message 2 of 10
Tcrus
Luminary

I have had no drops in 24hrs

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 5000
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

-1 satellite and distance between them 1-200ft (if I have to setup again I will use the reccomended 30feet for pairing)

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

-Using auto channel but I did change it while troubleshooting while it was acting up (made no difference) a couple WIFI nieghbors maybe 2-3 but are good distance apart

Try disabling the following and see:
IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s) Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2346 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings- 

-These are my current settings

What happens if you disable AX Mode? I have this disablded and not seeing any drops/loss of connection (and it was yesterday I disablded this so might be a connection between my problem and AX mode)

I am almost certain this has something to do upstream since I am getting no consistantcy in errors. If this was a hardware failure or software I would get soe kind of consistancy. I will keep monitoring this amd keep this post updated if I have any changes 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

200 feet is a bit too far for RBS. 

30 feet is recommended starting placement distance at it's remote location. Depend upon building materials, 50-60 feet is a remote distance range for RBSs. Pairing distance can be in the same room with the RBR. Once placed, then put out at it's remote location. 

I have my RBR 2nd story and RBS in the basement at about 35-40 feet in a 5000sq ft home. 

Message 4 of 10
Tcrus
Luminary

It's paired and working fine atm but it might be better suited for the second level directly above the RBR like you mentioned. What problems would I see from pairing it at greater distances? I think initially I did pair it right next to the RBR but its been through a few setups since then

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Incorrectly syning properly thus not getting correct RBS log in as the RBR uses. 

Let it run for while and see how it goes. 

What distance is the RBS working at now from the RBR? 

Message 6 of 10
Tcrus
Luminary

It's around 150-200ft basically where it was paired from. I can monitor devices being connected to the RBS and havent seen any problems. I will keep am eye on it

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, that mabye to far in distance. See how it goes. If you notice problems with the RBS, move the RBS closer to the RBR. 

Message 8 of 10
Tcrus
Luminary

Well it seems my problem has stopped so changing out my modem maybe fixed it (2-3 days of a solid connection), would like to test old modem to and see if that was really the problem and not my ISP but its working so not gonna fool with it. Thanks for all the help and suggestions 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Please mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7