Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI750 + Satellite not providing internet connection

jautn
Tutor

ORBI750 + Satellite not providing internet connection

I purchased a used ORBI 750 Router + 1 Satellite kit in July. I performed factory reset and installed the device and set up settings.

So far have never had any issues up until this past week.

I run a PC setup with Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit
My ISP is Charter Spectrum, and they had a severe outage two days ago that seemingly affected the entire neighborhood.

Eventually my Modem sprang back to life after numerous resets throughout the day, and is giving me connection, meanwhile the ORBI is staying a solid purple/magenta/pink - whatever you want to call it. 

Having my desktop hard-lined into the modem gives me a stable connection, but connecting the modem to the ORBI router provides no successful internet connection. Devices on my home network will connect to the ORBI and accompanying satellite, but there is no connection. 

I have done a router reset, a full factory reset via holding the reset button + powercycling to no avail. 

I interface with the ORBI via browser and do not use the app provided by the company. 

I also have not deployed Netgear Armor. 

I am currently running the most up-to-date firmware available for both router and satellite. 

Any ideas on how to solve this issue? Any help would be much appreciated! 

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

@jautn wrote:
Nothing seemingly changed after both test and apply.

I initially thought it might be incompatibilities with ISP and my hardware but via Charters compatibility page, they should talk to each other without a problem.

Can it be that the ISP "blocked" Orbi's MAC address! I've seen this before. For troubleshooting purpose, under "Router MAC Address" please choose "Use Computer MAC address" (if you're accessing Orbi from a computer) or select "use this MAC address" and just copy the MAC address of one of your satellites, and click Apply.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

1. What is the make and model of the ISP modem/router to which Orbi router is connected?
2. On the web GUI (orbilogin.com), under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Internet Setup, what settings do you see there? Any IP addresses assigned? Are the addresses public or private?
Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded on the router and RBS?

@jautn wrote:

I purchased a used ORBI 750 Router + 1 Satellite kit in July. I performed factory reset and installed the device and set up settings.

So far have never had any issues up until this past week.

I run a PC setup with Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit
My ISP is Charter Spectrum, and they had a severe outage two days ago that seemingly affected the entire neighborhood.

Eventually my Modem sprang back to life after numerous resets throughout the day, and is giving me connection, meanwhile the ORBI is staying a solid purple/magenta/pink - whatever you want to call it. 

Having my desktop hard-lined into the modem gives me a stable connection, but connecting the modem to the ORBI router provides no successful internet connection. Devices on my home network will connect to the ORBI and accompanying satellite, but there is no connection. 

I have done a router reset, a full factory reset via holding the reset button + powercycling to no avail. 

I interface with the ORBI via browser and do not use the app provided by the company. 

I also have not deployed Netgear Armor. 

I am currently running the most up-to-date firmware available for both router and satellite. 

Any ideas on how to solve this issue? Any help would be much appreciated! 

Message 3 of 11
jautn
Tutor

1. Firmware - currently latest available firmware for both satellite and router
    1. Manually updated RBR/RBS750 to V4.6.1.11 for the respective devices
  2. ISP modem provided by Spectrum - Hitron Technologies Inc. EN2251 DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA
  3. Router Internet Settings:
    1. Account set as RBR750, nothing in Domain Name slot
    2. IP Address set to Dynamic from Router, with all the grayed slots on 0's
    3. DNS set to Automatic from ISP
    4. MAC set as default
    5. No options for DHCP

If it helps, this is my own home network, not part of a work-group or larger network. 

Message 4 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@jautn wrote:

......IP Address set to Dynamic from Router, with all the grayed slots on 0's

This means that Orbi is not getting an IP address from the modem. On the same config page can you please click on "Test" and see if the greayed 0's will change to a public IP address. If this did not help then click on Apply and check the same.

Message 5 of 11
jautn
Tutor

I initially thought it might be incompatibilities with ISP and my hardware but via Charters compatibility page, they should talk to each other without a problem.
Message 6 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@jautn wrote:

Can it be that the ISP "blocked" Orbi's MAC address! I've seen this before. For troubleshooting purpose, under "Router MAC Address" please choose "Use Computer MAC address" (if you're accessing Orbi from a computer) or select "use this MAC address" and just copy the MAC address of one of your satellites, and click Apply.

Message 7 of 11
jautn
Tutor

Following your process, I chose "Use This Computers Address" and hit Test. After refreshing it now had selected "Use this address" which I assume is my computers MAC. After pressing apply and a consecutive refresh, looking at the "Home" dash board, Internet now reads as "Not Connected" instead of "Waiting for Internet" as it did previously.

I have since tried to also troubleshoot previous errors that should have fixed issues others were having in past for wares such as turning off email and traffic monitoring but those actions have no successful result.

EDIT:

Here is my sequence of events to a successful operation. This is just my flow without knowing what works and what did not. 

1. Factory Reset on router
  2. Disconnect all hardline connections into my router except from the modem
  3. Connect to Router via Wifi, access via 192.168.1.1
  4. Manual Firmware update to latest version on both Router and Satellite, turn off satellite. 
  5. Reboot both modem and router
  6. Disabling E-Mail and Traffic Monitoring
  7. Reboot router
  8. Changing from Router MAC Address from Default to "Use Computer's Mac Address"
    1. Click Test
    2. Router MAC Address now selected as "Use this MAC Address" with the prompt filled in
    3. Click Apply - "No Internet Connection" on the Home interface under Internet tab
  9. Reboot Router
  10. Return Router MAC Address to Default Address
  11. Turn off Guest Network
  12. Reboot Router
  13. Internet connection re-established. 
  14. Testing to see whether Guest Network is the interfering factor
    1. Turn on Guest Network
    2. Reboot Router
  15. Internet connection re-established. 
  16. Speedtest checks out close to what ISP is expected to allocate. 
  17. Confusion, acceptance, satisfaction. 
Message 8 of 11
ekhalil
Master

Great that you got it working!
I think what happened is that the router’s MAC address was somehow blacklisted in the modem ir at the ISP when you changed it to the computer’s MAC address and back the device was whitelisted again. 😊
Message 9 of 11
jautn
Tutor

Definitely a possibility and I'll go with that for now. Seeing how many issues people have with the ORBI systems, I have a checklist of troubleshoots to follow, this will make it to the top of the list for this time around. 

Thanks so much for your help! 

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7