Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Odd behaviors with device connections to the rbr750 / rbk753s-100nas

gobananasnet
Apprentice

Odd behaviors with device connections to the rbr750 / rbk753s-100nas

Devices have trouble connecting to the closest router/satellite. As aresult the performance of some devices are poor, e.g. alram system, security cameras, doorbell cameras, Roku, garage door openers, and more. The Ring alarm base and two smart TV's are in the same 130 sq. ft. room as the main router si located, yet they keep connecting to a satellite 75-100 feet away. The router and satellite all can have devices connecting to them, so they are working. All firmware is up to date on teh router, satellite and devices that connect to them. The router has been rebooted multiple times. No improvement even after a couple days waiting to see if it will improve. I also have all devices with assigned IP addresses.

Also to note, the Orbi app has changed from solid lines between the router and satellites, to dashed lines, not sure why. See screen shot attached.

Additionally I find odd names of Raspberry Pi on some devices even when I've already renamed them. It's very weird.

What might be the solutions to solving these performance issue, which is why we bought this expensive mesh system to begin with?

Thanks

P.S. Before I click post it shows the image, but after it does not. I also attached the same image.

Screenshot 2021-10-17 131707.jpg

Message 1 of 11
gobananasnet
Apprentice

Re: Odd behaviors with device connections to the rbr750 / rbk753s-100nas

Screenshot 2021-10-17 131707.jpg

Message 2 of 11
gobananasnet
Apprentice

Screenshot 2021-10-17 131555.jpgScreenshot 2021-10-17 131630.jpg

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1.you posted in the general nighthawk forum and not the forum for the Orbi AX devices. The Orbi forum will have more experts in those devices. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

2. the device is the one who chooses whether to be connected to the satellite versus the router. its the devices own roaming/connection protocol that determines that. A few things can impact it such as distance/obstructions/interference

3. the dotted vs dashed line? When its a solid line, its indicating the satellite is hardwired to the router. When its dashed, its indicating its connected to the router using the wireless backhaul. Did you have the satellites hardwired in at some point but not anymore? 

Message 4 of 11
gobananasnet
Apprentice

Darn my typos. The site will no longer let me edit out my fat finger typos. Sorry.

Message 5 of 11
gobananasnet
Apprentice

Interesting about the solid/dashed lines in the app. The app used to always show solid lines, but no longer. And no, they have never been hard wired to the router. Not sure why it used to show them as hard wired previously. But thank you for that explanation.

Message 6 of 11
gobananasnet
Apprentice

As far as where to post, the website forum is a mess. It asks the model, and other questions to help guide posting location. Yet here is where it ends up. They need to do a lot of work on this forum and more. Very clumsy and I give it a barely passing grade for design and ease of use. Thanks

Message 7 of 11
gobananasnet
Apprentice

As far as the devices determining the router/satellite to connect to, why would they connect to something 100+ feet away and a few rooms away, instead of the main router only a couple feet or less away? Can they connection be redirected?

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

You don't have to input a product model in the drop down list. 

Be sure to visit and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum.

Thank you and good luck. 

Message 9 of 11
gobananasnet
Apprentice

I don't have a model AX. This forum is a poorly designed frustrating glitchy mess. Even the follow up emails take me to pages that don't exist. What a hot mess it all is. Ugh!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Actually the 7 series Orbi IS an AX supporting model Orbi AX system. What that forum is meant for. 

Thank you. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7