Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 6E Router RBRE960 doesn't allow TELNET?

tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

Orbi 6E Router RBRE960 doesn't allow TELNET?

There is a problem I am running into that I wanted to debug using TELNET and nvram show commands to see what has gotten hosed, but to my surprise:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>telnet 192.168.1.1
Connecting To 192.168.1.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed

On my old RBR50, I could enable TELNET on http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm, then telnet to it, and use nvrom show/set/commit to fix certain issues. Now I can't?? I don't see the telnet checkbox on the debug page... Hrmpf.

Tuna

PS: I will post about my actual problem separately. Didn't want to mix issues in one post.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 6E Router RBRE960 doesn't allow TELNET?

Nope. 

NG removed Telnet from Orbi AX series in mid FW series and in later FW series on the Orbi AC series. The 9 series doesn't support telnet as well. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Nope. 

NG removed Telnet from Orbi AX series in mid FW series and in later FW series on the Orbi AC series. The 9 series doesn't support telnet as well. 

Message 2 of 6
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

That's very unfortunate. I understand that some customers without proper knowledge & skillset could go into their router and screw it up, but given that the firmware is not bug free, this takes away the ability to use telnet not only from customers who know what they are doing, but also reduces the tech support over the phone to a "reset your device" or "here is your refund, we'll send you another one" (i.e. software-reset vs. hardware-reset) by taking away a tool they could have used to support the customer.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a problem with your Orbi system? 

I believe the reason NG is removing Telnet from there product is for security reasons as Telnet is insecure. There maybe a future alternative however I have no idea if or when that may come about. 

Message 4 of 6
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

FURY, as I type this, you are already engaged with me on https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Orbi-6E-Router-RBRE960-only-shows-er... that I could have used telnet to debug, and now I cannot.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7