Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 753 wired backhaul question how to

midnightbui
Aspirant

Orbi 753 wired backhaul question how to

Possibly a noob question on best setup for my orbi with two satellites.  Two story home has main internet coaxil in master bedroom closet.  So modem connects there, orbi router connects to modem.  so now i want to hook up my other two satellites correctly.  House is prewired so im guessing plug the two ethernet cables from the master closet (these are the wires that are running down to my two prewired socket) so plug them into the orbi router.  Now is where i am getting confused.  do i plug satellite into prewired socket, then plug switch into the orbi satellite or do i plug switch into prewired socket then satellite into my switch.  Im guessing they would both work but i want confirmation.  Please confirm.  thanks in advance

Oh i want to add, where one of my satellites and switch would be, i will be gaming with so should i plug the ethernet cable to the switch or the satellite or does it matter.

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 753 wired backhaul question how to

It's best to have the switch come first, then RBS lastly. 

What is the mfr and model# of this switch? Some switchs can cause problems between RBR and RBS. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Do you have all the remote wired rooms going to one location? IF so, your wired configuration could look like this:

ISP Modem> Orbi AX RBR>Switch><Wired rooms to switch<>RBS connected to wall jack in remote room location. 

You can do:

ISP Modem> Orbi AX RBR><Wired rooms to RBR>Swithch<>RBS connected to a switch in the remote room location. 

Message 2 of 13
midnightbui
Aspirant

its a netgear 8 port Gig Model GS208 unmanaged

Message 3 of 13
midnightbui
Aspirant

ISP Modem upstairs connected to Orbi Router.  Then all ethernet cables from wall plugged into Orbi Router.  Downstairs i have the switch plugged in the ethernet outlet and then everything else including my Orbi Sateliite plugged into the switch.  Good or No?

Or should i connect Orbi Satellite downstairs to wall.  Then switch to the Orbi Satellite and then everything else to the switch?

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Either way, however to better use the NG switch, I would put it behind the RBR and connect the RBS to the wall, then utilize the LAN ports on the back of the RBS for wired devices when needed.

Message 5 of 13
midnightbui
Aspirant

Oh ok thanks. Since I had this new Orbi 753, I am getting a double nat error on the xbox. Not sure if this is a relatable question to what im doing. I did not have this problem with the original Orbi though. Can anyone explain tbis
Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 7 of 13
midnightbui
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded?  ORBI Firmware version: v3.2.16.6
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?  It is connected to a Netgear CM1100.

No other router, just the RBR router.

So Netgear CM1100 connected to RBR Router then connected to switch.  So what can cause doublenat when i am only connected to one router.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You should see any double NAT issues since your in a single NAT configuration. 

What is the mfr and model# of this switch your using? 

Where are you seeing this double nat problem? 

Message 9 of 13
midnightbui
Aspirant

I have a netgear GS208 8-port unmanaged switch. 

Double Nat error is through my XBox Network setting.  Showing double nat detected

I am really frustrated.  Xfinity came twice and supposedly fixed internet problem but it is still bad.  

I am reading this forum and have been messing with my router settings to see if it will help but nothing.  If its not too much to ask, can you or someone tell be the optimal setting i should have on my router.   Thanks

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Does changing the manual port number on xboxes advanced networking settings change anything? 

Would be good if you can connect the xbox directly to the RBR to make sure the switch isn't doing anything. Can you wirelessly connect the xbox  for a short period of time after holding the power button on the front of the xbox until it turns off then turn it back on. 

Message 11 of 13
midnightbui
Aspirant

To me, changing the ports on the Xbox does nothing.  Same thing.  When i go wireless it would give me the same lag and high latency.  Im having Xfinity come out for the 3rd time.  I feel my network setup is right and that it is not my hardware.

What seems strange is everything including my xbox would work perfectly fine with no double nat showing up on the xbox but then after 10-15 minutes it would give that error.  Again i really think it is my ISP

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, if your seeing OPEN NAT at the beginning, then it changes, then this would be an ISP/ISP modem issue. 

One thing to try, connect the xbox directly to the ISP modem. Let the xbox sit and check the NAT status. I presume if it changes from OPEN to something else, this will prove to the ISP it's there problem. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7