Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 852 optimal settings

Sadwkh
Aspirant

Orbi 852 optimal settings

Could anyone help me with optimal settings for the orbi 852? I’ve seen the article below but not sure if this applies to the newer models
Thanks so much
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 852 optimal settings

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

I like to use manual channels 1 and 40. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Optimal settings, optimal placement is what I'd look at more. 

The orbi's do a pretty good job for performance. In my experience its more about trying different placements of the router/satellites to optimize coverage than it is about changing settings. I've found trying different locations can surprisingly have quite difference results due to objects in the walls, interference, distance, etc. So try multiple locations for a couple days. When I first got a mesh system, I moved them around once a week for quite a while just trying different configurations. 

Yes it can help to make sure the wifi channels aren't on ones that have interference but that's pretty simple. 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

I like to use manual channels 1 and 40. 

Message 3 of 8
Sadwkh
Aspirant

Thanks very much I have an old period property with thick brick walls. Router in centre ground floor. Satellite far corner of house at least 30 ft away . I keep reading how internet speeds are maintained through out one’s property with the orbi but am not seeing this. Maybe I need some more satellites but trying to avoid extra expenditure.
Furthermore my lg tv which is not very far away from the router sometimes just loses it’s internet connection, very frustrating
Many thanks
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Brick walls are great at blocking wifi. Brick/concrete are one of the banes of devices using a wireless backhaul connection (connection between router/satellites). 

If you read on the forums you'll find a bunch of posts about issues with people who have brick/concrete interior walls. 

Mesh systems do work great but they still need a connection between the router/satellites to function properly or they will have stability/speed problems. 

I take it you had issues before upgrading tot he Orbi 8 series? 

Message 5 of 8
Sadwkh
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. Yes I had issues before upgrading from rbk50s. The 850 is better but not perfect. It’s not an issue between the satellite or router but from the router itself
Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Sadwkh wrote:
Thanks very much I have an old period property with thick brick walls.

Brick exterior walls will cause WiFi signals outside to be very low..

Brick interior wall will devastate WiFi signals going from one room to the next.

In addition, period houses often have interior walls of lath and plaster, sometimes with metal mesh.  Such walls also reduce WiFi signals significantly.

As @plemans pointed out, people living in houses with "radio unfriendly" construction face significant issues in providing WiFi service.  The only solution is to connect many WiFi access points into a network with physical cables.  Ethernet, PowerLine and MoCA adapters can be used to carry communication over electrical or cable TV wiring.  Alas, in those old houses, the electrical or cable wiring is often not modern, either.

Message 7 of 8
Sadwkh
Aspirant

Thanks but power lines are not an option. Been there done it sold them on eBay. The mesh network system is much better. The signal does go through thick walls much better than the rbk53 system. As I mentioned right at the start just wanted advice on optimising the signal. I’ve set a specific Wi-Fi channels (thanks to comment above), the lg tv seems more stable. I’ll just have to buy some more satellites i guess if necessary. Thanks for all your advice
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7