Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 860 Dropping Connections

Bushwacked
Aspirant

Orbi 860 Dropping Connections

EDIT: sorry if this comes off as mean, but its been a very frustrating 48 hours with the most expensive mesh system, that shouldn't be having these issues ...

Hello all!  ... 

Brand new to the Orbi's and was really pumped about getting this setup. I had read the nightmares of connection issues and dropped connections and all that, but figured Netgear would have gotten their act together and fixed the issues they have had since launch with new firmware's.

So I bought a 2 pack, installed them and speeds/coverage has been amazing! 

However, I know and hit with connection issues out the wazoo! Its like as soon as a device isnt being used it loses connection. My iphone13 I have to turn my wifi off/on to get it to connect in the mornings or after not using for awhile. Fire sticks dont connect right away and I have to tinker with them for several minutes every time I turn them on. Kids tablets, same issues. MyQ garage door, same issue ... etc etc etc 

I also spent about an hour and 15 mins on the phone with tech support because they couldnt figure out how to get the parental controls section to show up in my app ( Breaking news, you have to have your country input into your profile) Yes, no amount of deleting the app and reinstalling and manu resets on the device will fix that, if there are techs reading this ... 

I have Firmware Version V7.2.4.5_4.2.2

I have tried ...

Preamble Modes 2.4 and 5 - Long

Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence - unchecked

2,4 GHZ Channel - 1

5 GHz Channel - 48

-- Cant find the daisy chain option to turn off since I only have 1 satellite

Another annoying thing, I like to not broadcast my main wifi connection, but was told by support this is not allowed. 

This has been a really off putting experience and really makes me want to send these back and buy ASUS Zen or ROG line of mesh offerings ... 

What else can I try to keep my devices online?

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 860 Dropping Connections

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7