Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX 4200 not connecting to Nest Connect and Yale Locks

shady1017
Aspirant

Orbi AX 4200 not connecting to Nest Connect and Yale Locks

I bought an Orbi AX 4200 today, but I can't setup my nest connect and locks. I can get the Nest connect to connect to the Orbi 2.4Ghz network, but my phone auto connects to the 5Ghz network and I believe this is why I can't setup the locks in the App. It sounds like older firmware versions allowed you to turn off the 5Ghz network, but there's no option for that in the new firmware. Any work around? thanks. 

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi AX 4200 not connecting to Nest Connect and Yale Locks

@shady1017 wrote:

I bought an Orbi AX 4200 today, but I can't setup my nest connect and locks. I can get the Nest connect to connect to the Orbi 2.4Ghz network, but my phone auto connects to the 5Ghz network and I believe this is why I can't setup the locks in the App. It sounds like older firmware versions allowed you to turn off the 5Ghz network, but there's no option for that in the new firmware. Any work around? thanks. 

Once the Nest device is connected to the Orbi, it should make no difference what frequency band the smartphone connects with. Communication goes between the phone and the Nest Connect through WiFi: phone to Orbi, Orbi to Nest.  Orbi talks to both of them. They do not talk directly to each other.

This sounds like a question to pose to Nest and/or the lock company.

Message 2 of 3
shady1017
Aspirant

Re: Orbi AX 4200 not connecting to Nest Connect and Yale Locks

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately that's not the case. I was able to turn the 5Ghz power down to 25% then I had to walk far away enough from the router to be out of 5Ghz range and it would put my phone on the 2.4Ghz band. Once I was able to lock into the 2.4 band I could setup my Nest Connect and Locks. For whatever reason you can't do the initial Nest setup if you are on 2 different bands. 

Also, I'm not too impressed by the Orbi thus far. I had a Nighthawk R9000 and I thought the RBR 750 Orbi would be an upgrade. Thus far I seem to have less signal throughout my house and the Orbi can't reach my outside sauna which the Nighthawk didn't have a problem with. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7