Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX 6000 and AT&T fiber gateway issue

Spezaled
Tutor

Orbi AX 6000 and AT&T fiber gateway issue

I recently purchased the Orbi with WIFI 6 and planned on using them in AP mode to extend my U-verse Fiber gateway modem signal. Got the WiFi set up just fine but now my U-verse TV signal locks up after 10 seconds and then loses signal altogether. Has anyone else had this issue and is there an easy solution? I know there’s the IP pass through but I’m uncertain on how to properly set it up. FYI, I have many Ethernet cables current connected to my gateway. I’d hate to return these new units.
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
Spezaled
Tutor

So AT&T came out and configured the gateway so that it all works now. They kept the tv feeds going to the gateway, set it to IP pass through and turned off he WiFi. The Orbi had to be set to router mode, not AP mode because of an IP conflict. Everything is running again.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 23

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

You may be more likely to get an informed response by posting in the Netgear forum devoted to the WiFi6 (AX) product:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

Not having an AX product, I can only hazard a guess, but it is hard to imagine how connecting a WiFi Access Point (Orbi or any other brand) to an internet gateway would disrupt the TV signal.  I also note that people with AT&T ISP service seem to post a lot of problems on this forum, so there must be something about the "AT&T Gateway" that is different from typical cable modem systems.

Message 2 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use the IP pass thru if you want to use the Orbi in router mode.

https://www.f0il.com/how-to-arris-bgw210-700-modem-router-with-netgear-xr500-router/
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-do-I-setup-bridge-mode-in-the-ARRIS-BGW210-700/m-p/1875994...

If you configure AP mode on the RBR, then IP pass thru isn't needed. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Spezaled wrote:
I recently purchased the Orbi with WIFI 6 and planned on using them in AP mode to extend my U-verse Fiber gateway modem signal. Got the WiFi set up just fine but now my U-verse TV signal locks up after 10 seconds and then loses signal altogether. Has anyone else had this issue and is there an easy solution? I know there’s the IP pass through but I’m uncertain on how to properly set it up. FYI, I have many Ethernet cables current connected to my gateway. I’d hate to return these new units.

Message 3 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have AT&T Fiber gigabit internet. I use the "dumb switch bypass method." It works excellent! However, it requires some IT knowledge. I completely have my AT&T gateway in the drawer, powered off. I'm using the RBK852 as my only gateway. 

Message 4 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there more details on this switch method that you can share for us? 

@Retired_Member wrote:

I have AT&T Fiber gigabit internet. I use the "dumb switch bypass method." It works excellent! However, it requires some IT knowledge. I completely have my AT&T gateway in the drawer, powered off. I'm using the RBK852 as my only gateway. 

Message 5 of 23
DoctorA
Luminary

Bypassing ATT Router BGW-210 RGW ( residential gateway),
Dumb switch method by spoofing MAC on the Router.

(Currently I am not using this method but thanking all others who contributed to this knowledge bellow)

This procedure works well when you don't need to power reset your router frequently. Since NG needed many firmware updates in the past and will need few more in the future and sometimes requres hard or factory reset, this method will be annoying for some people. That is why I am still using the Pass Through Mode, with NAT server disabled with no problem on my BGW-210 RGW. Also my son gets his X-box Ethernet directly from this modem and he didn't have to deal with Orbi WiFi router problems especially  like problems after March 9 firmware ordeal. 

I heard that earlier ATT modems have problems with Orbi routers and will benefit from this method because they have no Pass through mode.
With my old non-NG router this procedure was perfect and only was repeated once in many months  when sync was lost due to a power failure. Get a power back up if you don't want this to happen.

Q. Why completely bypass the ATT gateway instead of using the pass through method?
A. Because some experts believe that some activities, including NAT and the Firewall can't be completely disabled on the ATT gateway and it will slow down the internet because your NG router unnecessarily will do the same things all over again and maybe can do the job better and faster if it is doing byitself. ( No double NATing).
Q. Why do you need the dumb switch instead of plugging the router right into the ONT?
A. Because even though ATT does not track the RGs, they just require one to authenticate. Your fiber service address is tied to ONT SNID.
ONT must always re authenticate with the ATT RGW when the Ethernet plug is disconnected. The dumb switch just keeps the link up while you connect your router (with the spoofed mac).

Steps

1) Define your gateway's mac on the WAN port of whatever router you want to use (asus, netgear, etc). WAN connectivity should be via dhcp.
To find out the MAC Address type 192.168.1.254 to connect to ATT RGW from your browser.

clone this MAC Address to your new Netgear router.
type http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1
The default username is admin and the default password is password.

2) I'm using a simple dumb switch (Netgear GS105) to handle ONT/RGW/Router connectivity.

2a) With everything from a fully off state, allow the ONT to register (~2 min) the fiber connection first. During this time there's nothing but fiber and power plugged into the ONT.

2b) Connect ONT's Ethernet port to one port of the dumb switch.

2c) Connect the WAN port of the RGW to another port on the dumb switch.

2d) Connect power to the RGW

3) Wait 1-2 minutes for both lights to become solid green on the RGW.

4) You can now power down and disconnect the RGW from the dumb switch.

5) Connect your router's WAN port to the dumb switch. Turn the router on.

6) Within a minute or less it should acquire the same IP, gateway and DNS as the gateway had.

7) Enjoy

"ONT reregistration will only be necessary if power to the ONT or dumb switch is disrupted. In that case, repeat steps 2b-5.

Message 6 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome information. Thanks for sharing. Will keep this handy for users with ATT modems. 

@DoctorA wrote:

Bypassing ATT Router BGW-210 RGW ( residential gateway),
Dumb switch method by spoofing MAC on the Router.

(Currently I am not using this method but thanking all others who contributed to this knowledge bellow)

This procedure works well when you don't need to power reset your router frequently. Since NG needed many firmware updates in the past and will need few more in the future and sometimes requres hard or factory reset, this method will be annoying for some people. That is why I am still using the Pass Through Mode, with NAT server disabled with no problem on my BGW-210 RGW. Also my son gets his X-box Ethernet directly from this modem and he didn't have to deal with Orbi WiFi router problems especially  like problems after March 9 firmware ordeal. 

I heard that earlier ATT modems have problems with Orbi routers and will benefit from this method because they have no Pass through mode.
With my old non-NG router this procedure was perfect and only was repeated once in many months  when sync was lost due to a power failure. Get a power back up if you don't want this to happen.

Q. Why completely bypass the ATT gateway instead of using the pass through method?
A. Because some experts believe that some activities, including NAT and the Firewall can't be completely disabled on the ATT gateway and it will slow down the internet because your NG router unnecessarily will do the same things all over again and maybe can do the job better and faster if it is doing byitself. ( No double NATing).
Q. Why do you need the dumb switch instead of plugging the router right into the ONT?
A. Because even though ATT does not track the RGs, they just require one to authenticate. Your fiber service address is tied to ONT SNID.
ONT must always re authenticate with the ATT RGW when the Ethernet plug is disconnected. The dumb switch just keeps the link up while you connect your router (with the spoofed mac).

Steps

1) Define your gateway's mac on the WAN port of whatever router you want to use (asus, netgear, etc). WAN connectivity should be via dhcp.
To find out the MAC Address type 192.168.1.254 to connect to ATT RGW from your browser.

clone this MAC Address to your new Netgear router.
type http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1
The default username is admin and the default password is password.

2) I'm using a simple dumb switch (Netgear GS105) to handle ONT/RGW/Router connectivity.

2a) With everything from a fully off state, allow the ONT to register (~2 min) the fiber connection first. During this time there's nothing but fiber and power plugged into the ONT.

2b) Connect ONT's Ethernet port to one port of the dumb switch.

2c) Connect the WAN port of the RGW to another port on the dumb switch.

2d) Connect power to the RGW

3) Wait 1-2 minutes for both lights to become solid green on the RGW.

4) You can now power down and disconnect the RGW from the dumb switch.

5) Connect your router's WAN port to the dumb switch. Turn the router on.

6) Within a minute or less it should acquire the same IP, gateway and DNS as the gateway had.

7) Enjoy

"ONT reregistration will only be necessary if power to the ONT or dumb switch is disrupted. In that case, repeat steps 2b-5.

Message 7 of 23
DoctorA
Luminary

Obviously this method will not work for the OP since he needs the ATT gateway also for his TV. I don't have any issues with my ATT Aris BGW-210 Gateway for 6 months now after I selected the Pass Through Mode in the menu and with NAT server disabled together with Orbi RBR 850 in router mode. 

The question is: does this ATT gateway become a pure modem in the eyes of the NG router? Where do you check that info?

Message 8 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Well historically. ATT modems period have always been gateways with built in routers. They have also have not supported any kind of full bridging of there modems. Mostly due to video services running thru there modems as well. So I double there would be any kind of pure modem seen coming from there gateways. IF the router on the modem can't be bridged or disabled fully, then NAT will be present there. 

Message 9 of 23
Spezaled
Tutor

So AT&T came out and configured the gateway so that it all works now. They kept the tv feeds going to the gateway, set it to IP pass through and turned off he WiFi. The Orbi had to be set to router mode, not AP mode because of an IP conflict. Everything is running again.
Message 10 of 23
DoctorA
Luminary

Will NAT be still present there even though NAT server is switched to OFF here in this menu?

Attached is the screen shot of my  ATT menu

Message 11 of 23
DoctorA
Luminary

Attached is the screen shot of my  ATT NAT OFF menu 

Message 12 of 23
DoctorA
Luminary

I am glad the AT&T gateway is working for you as it was working for me since October with no problems.

Message 13 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, NAT is still present on ATT Modems. Since they don't support full modem mode. 

@DoctorA wrote:

Will NAT be still present there even though NAT server is switched to OFF here in this menu?

Attached is the screen shot of my  ATT menu

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad they got it working for you. Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

@Spezaled wrote:

Message 15 of 23
DoctorA
Luminary

I wonder how much this NAT presence is affecting the overall performance of the system. I don't have any problems right now with 40+ devices but with more devices in the future, If the difference becomes significant, then bypassing ATT Router by Dumb switch method, by spoofing the MAC of the Router on Orbi, is an attractive alternative. 

Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Another factor us router processing interference as well. How well are routers and gatway modems built to handle speeds along with handling of devices and all the included features that they imploy. CPU and memory will be a factor here. 

Something you could try, and if it doesn't work out, revert back. 

Message 17 of 23
Jce1984
Aspirant

So are you using your own modem as well or still using att modem?
Message 18 of 23
Jce1984
Aspirant

https://community.netgear.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/255615

Are you using att modem gateway at all or using your own modem or does bypass only work for using your own router
Message 19 of 23
Spezaled
Tutor

I am using the Gateway only for the television lines and its WiFi radios are off, plus it’s in pass through mode. The Orbi is now in Router mode versus AP Mode and everything else is connected to it. There was an IP conflict and this was the solution.
Message 20 of 23
kmichalec
Apprentice

How much of a speed increase did you see by removing the RG, and using the dumb switch method?  Was the increase sizable?

Message 21 of 23
skrishnan37
Aspirant

DoctorA,

Let me ask dumb question about the dumbswitch.  I was looing up the one you recommended, the GS105NA.  Is speed affected by different models?  There's an FS105, GS305. etc.  I ask in regards to the GS105NA isn't available for a week or two vs the others I can get today or tomorrow.

DoctorK

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

FS=100Mbps max connection rates.

GS=1000Mbps max connection rates. 

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies