Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX satellite not able to connect to router in AP mode

justintan
Aspirant

Orbi AX satellite not able to connect to router in AP mode

I have the Orbi AX RBR 850 and RBS 850.

Does anyone know how to wire a laptop directly to a satellite? I need to reort to this step because: 

1. new firmware caused an issue. 

2. and so I changed the RBR to AP instead. 

3. I have 4 satellites, 1 is working after RBR changed to AP. So 3 down.  

I removed from web browser these satellites, and want to try to add new satellite instead. I did the factory reset on the satellite. Then press the sync button as instructed in the app. It would not sync despite being 3metres infront of the router. 

I like to wire it up to a lap top to change a firmware or something. 

Also can I ask if anyone knows if the switch issue is solved? It looks like most switches are going green, and not being able to use a green switch is just plain ridiculous. 

Message 1 of 11
miller1975
Tutor

Unfortunately from my experience it seems the new firmware wont let you connect a satellite in AP mode, you could try connecting it to another router and see if it gets an IP from the DHCP and login that way. Also for reference downgrading the firmware doesn't fix the issue with the satellite in AP mode

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite📡. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite📡. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites 📡 web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites 📡 to the RBR. 

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 3 of 11
justintan
Aspirant

Sorry what do u mean? In AP mode i can still have a mesh system right?
Message 4 of 11
justintan
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestion but this is not working for me. Did it 3 times with laptop plugged in and wifi off. Ethernet indicates identifying when satellite is resetting. When done(solid white light on satellite), laptop says unidentified network, no internet. I take it as its connected to the satellite.
Key in 192.168.1.250. This site is unreachable. Key in 10.0.0.1 for good measure. Same thing.

I am sure i have done this before, as in connecting wired to satellite and it worked in v3 firmware.... unfortunately i think this set of instructions is now outdated.

By the way, i did this on 2 different satellites.
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the RBS connect to  the RBR if you configure router mode on the RBR? 

Message 6 of 11
justintan
Aspirant

Previously yes. But I do not want to go back to router mode. I have 2 satellites that are working without doing anything. 3 down. 

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would return to router mode and see if you can get the other RBS to connect. If they do, check there web pages for FW version which should be the same. 

Message 8 of 11
justintan
Aspirant

I may try this later. Another issue i could think of is, my new network with the new router gives out addresses in 192.168.0.x while the old RBR in router mode was giving out addr 192.168.1.x. Would this matter or be the cause?
Message 9 of 11
justintan
Aspirant

Btw is there a link to request a feature? After more scouring this forum, I found others have the same issue. Search "orbi ax cannot add satellite in AP mode". The posts are in 2020 too, so more than a year on this feature is still missing. Can we request for this feature to be able to add satellites wirelessly in AP mode? 

I am hesistant to change my RBR back to routing mode as I need it up 24/7. It is a pain to keep having to reset network everytime there is a problem. Moreover, I went down this route to go AP becasue the new firmware 4.6.3.16 just screwed up my network. Having read something about problems with RBR dishing out IPs(DHCP table issue + 5gz issue), I thought to take the chance to use my dual WAN router instead to solve this issue, and use orbi as a wireless solution only in AP mode. My dual WAN router does not have wireless functions. 

I run 4 satellites (2 sets of 3 pack), so I actually invested alot into this system so you can understand my frustration with Netgear. Its not really plug and play is it? Some issues that I find ridiculous, as if this system is only for total noobs in networking.

1. Not able to add satellites in ap mode. 

2. only use non green switches -> seriously? every switch nowadays is green and a matter of time before non green ones will go end of life. 

3. Every issue encountered involves a total reset and fresh setup again?

4. lagging app - status does not seem to be "live" 

5. certain topology only. This is such a big limitation. Different houses are built differently and user needs. The orbi Router needs to be infront and not side by side...

overall frustrating for such a expensive product! 

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm able to get my Orbi with 2 RBS in AP mode here, also using switches:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/Orbi-RBK-752-Satellite-not-connecting-when-router-is-in...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7