Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX6000 Became Discolored

MM76
Aspirant

Orbi AX6000 Became Discolored

Hi I was changing layout at home and moved my Orbis and realized that the router has become discolored (tan) on one side.  It was sitting on a tv stand with no exposure to direct light and wasn't too close to TV, hot, etc.

I dont get what would have caused it to change color so much and is it just cosmetic or could it mean there is something wrong with it?  I havent noticed any problems with performance.  For the amount of money I spent on them, disappointedfront of my two orbisfront of my two orbisfront of one, back of the discolored onefront of one, back of the discolored one

My 3 months of "customer service" with netgear are up so i cant ask them.

Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX6000 Became Discolored

Was the one sitting in a window or near window by chance? I saw same thing on one of mine and it sits in a window, though that side of the window doesn't get sun light, seem to be enough that it saw a mild discoloration of the front. I recently saw this when I had it sitting next to my other RBS from the basement. Had to take a 2nd look and noticed the color different between the two. Seems like the plastic maybe susceptible to UV light maybe. 

Message 2 of 8
MM76
Aspirant

Hi thanks for reply.  No it wasnt near window, had no direct light on it.  The only thing I can think of is the TV (which is OLED and doesnt get hot) somehow caused it.  Good to hear that others have seen discoloration at least.  Was concerned it burned internally or something...

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Was it facing the TV? How close was it to the TV? Just curious. I wouldn't think a OLED TV would be a cause. Odd though.

Message 4 of 8
MM76
Aspirant

belated reply.  the part that is discolored was facing the back of the tv.  it was a bit to the back side of the TV, not complete behind it but anyway the discolored face was facing it.  probably 6 inches or a little more of space in between them.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Should have more distance. 3-6 feet in between. 

Suggestion, the 8 series has a tab at the bottom in back on the inside panel that you can press a locking tab and the back will slide off. This would reveal the screws needed to get the front panel off. Something I was thinking about, taking these off and spraying painting them to make them look similar to the Orbi 9 series Black edition. 😉

Message 6 of 8
MM76
Aspirant

Ah see, ok that's good to know, thanks

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe some light sanding on these covers with a fine bit sand paper to help ensure the spray paint sticks. Wouldn't take too long and you'd be looking good. I may still try this with mine. I do prefer black vs white. 😁

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7