Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX6000 Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 Router (RBR850) dropping wifi randomly

-CTR-
Aspirant

I bought the devices under the assumption that they where considered as one of the best. In reality the experience has been poor and after weeks of using I put these in storage and considered the "investment" as loss. Now a year later I thought I'd give these another go but the same issues still appear.

I've done factory reset, updated the firmware to latest version but the same issue as a year ago still appear. Wifi dropping randomly. I would say that the only culprit I can seem to think off is that when the data transfer volumes increase the wifi drops. After a reset the wifi works normally around 24h and the same scenario repeats.

The routers have been at two different homes, behind two different ISP routers and similar issue. I've done all the usual troubleshooting suggested. Any other ideas?

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi AX6000 Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 Router (RBR850) dropping wifi randomly

when you say you've done all the usual troubleshooting, it doesn't tell us much because people try different things. 

What troubleshooting have you tried? 

what firmware is on the router and the satellites?

what modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Do all devices have issues, just wired devices, just wireless? 

A bit more detail son what actually happens when the wifi drops helps. 

Message 2 of 7
-CTR-
Aspirant

I've tried the setup at two different locations, connected to two different ISP routers. Same issue appears in both locations. Latest setup is connected to Netgear switch GS605 and the ISP external router ZyXEL LTE7480

I've done factory reset to the devices and updated to latest firmware (4.6.14.3) and uninstalled, installed the setup app on my phone + a fresh setup of the network.

ISP routers wifi is turned off and devices connected via cable to the switch do not loose connectivity.

Both 2.4GHz and 5GHZ have same name and i'm not using default name.

The wifi disappears when I have bigger than usual load to the wifi network. At least it seems like so, have not validated as the wifi drops mostly randomly. For instance starting a zoom call and kids Nintendo downloading something. But sometimes randomly. Sometimes the wifi comes back, but mostly I do a restart to the devices and it fixes the issue until in pops up again. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBR in AP mode when connected to this switch or the ISP gateway router? 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channel configurations are you using on the RBR?

Is Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled at all on the RBR?

Message 4 of 7
-CTR-
Aspirant

How can I tell if its in AP mode? I've not tinkered with setting do change that to my understanding.

Two RBR's in use.

1940 sg ft. 

Distance between the satellite 85 feet. Two different houses, wooden structure.
Connection quality shows ok. Wifi disappears both while connected to the primary or the satellite.

Channel configurations - how do I see this?

No Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

@-CTR- wrote:

How can I tell if its in AP mode? I've not tinkered with setting do change that to my understanding.

If you've not tinkered with the RBR then it's probably in router mode. Which if your modem is in modem mode, this is fine. If the ISP modems are not in modem only mode or bridge, then AP mode would be suggested. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Two RBR's in use.

1940 sg ft. 

For this size of home, just the RBR alone would be enough, maybe 1 RBS and the power levels set to 25%. Having too much signals can cause problems.  https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Distance between the satellite 85 feet. Two different houses, wooden structure.
Connection quality shows ok. Wifi disappears both while connected to the primary or the satellite.

85 feet maybe too far between RBR and RBS. 30 feet to start and maybe around 50-60 feet max distances. Depending on building materials. 

Channel configurations - how do I see this?

On the RBRs web page using a PC or laptop and web browser connecting at 192.168.1.1

No Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter enabled

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 is leading you down the correct path with figuring out if the RBR is in AP mode or not. 

Turning off the wifi doesn't disable the routing functions on the gateway. 

Also, if you're using the switch with the orbi's wired backhaul it should go gateway---->to wan port on RBR---->lan port from RBR to switch----->to satellites. 

I've seen people put the switch connected to the gateway and not the orbi and it cause backhaul/connection issues. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7