Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX6000 firmware V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 WiFi access sporadic

westsdad
Aspirant

Orbi AX6000 firmware V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 WiFi access sporadic

Home Setup

Calix 716-GE1 ONT -> Orbi RBR850 -> Netgear XS512EM -> Netgear GS110EMX -> Orbi RBS850 x2  (All CAT7 cables and wire runs)

Ever since firmware V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 was auto (forced) installed, WiFi access / availability has been sporadic.  This is even with "Reverting to Factory Default Settings" and a clean manual setup of settings.

My family can get constant WiFi availability if I manually install firmware V3.2.15.25_1.3.15 /  V3.2.15.32_1.3.25

Of course, this only works until sometime overnight when a forced auto update back to firmware V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 occurs.

I've tried blocking the firmware update url and it only blocks my other devices, so it may be the ftp site that is getting through.

I've also tried disabling some of the nvram settings and commiting without any luck.

My WiFi network is critical as my wife and I are lucky enough to be able to work from home, and our 3 kids are all attending virtual school from home.

I can't believe that Netgear Orbi's would not have a feature as basic as disabling auto firmware updates.

The Orbi Mesh network is great when the previous version firmware is running.  I'm seriously considering going back to 3 Asus RT-AX88U's running Merlin firmware as I never had an issue with WiFi availability and had control of the settings for my network.

As a customer, I would assume that having control of critical network devices would be a priority for Netgear.  Instead, it appears that they are only working hard at blocking any attempts to disable auto firmware updates.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX6000 firmware V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 WiFi access sporadic

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update? 
Or try a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://https://https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Any Orbi system doesn't have any FW update option to not enable it. It's enabled be default and NG only pushes major FW udpates. Minor ones are notifications and are at users descresion to install or not. 

Message 2 of 9
westsdad
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.  See the responses below after your questions.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update? Yes, and just did it again.  Will monitor WiFi access for a few days and will hear from the kids if there are issues.

Or try a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?  Yes, and just did it again.  Will monitor WiFi access for a few days and will hear from the kids if there are issues.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.  At least 30 feet with a floor between them and they are a wired backhaul across CAT7 wire and 10Gps Switch Ports.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You may also run into problems with your model switches you have in between the RBR and RBS. 

These are managed switches. 

Also both switches have green ethernet features:

"Energy Efficient Ethernet (IEEE802.3az)
support for maximum power savings"

Something that can cause problems for wired RBS if in between. 

Make sure you disable all IGMP protocols on the switches. 

If you can, also disable Green ethernet as well. 

Message 4 of 9
westsdad
Aspirant

Thanks again FURRYe38 for your response.

I checked the switches and Power Saving Mode was Disabled on them.

IGMP Snooping was Enabled.  Changed it to Disabled.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, lets see how it goes...

Nice having 2.5 and 10Gb switch support. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
PharmD76
Aspirant

Please do not listen to netgear or any of the experts they don't know what they are talking about with the Firmware updates if you upgrade your very expensive Orbi AX6000 from the shipped firmware you will regret it and it will preform exactly like originally described in the stream.  I had my ISP block the Netgear update URL as a black list site.

I spent 2 days on a customer support call, having me try Mickey Mouse things that I knew wouldn't work.  As a former NASA engineer I knew very quickly the Firmware is severly flawed to the point now the 192.168.1.1 web interface no longer works, and the ORBI app on the smartphone doesn't work.  I don't dare reboot the router for fear of it messing up my home network.  

Right now it is running blind and deaf, but it is still adding items, to the SSID.  If you restart your machine you will be helically wrapped around an incline plane.  Because I trusted Netgear I ended up taking not one but two RBK852. 

DO NOT, I REPETE DO NOT update the Firmware, and if you accidently do, DO NOT not matter what you do reboot the router you will have a $700 paper weight.

DO NOT, I REPETE DO NOT update the Firmware, and if you accidently do, DO NOT not matter what you do reboot the router you will have a $700 paper weight.

Dr. B.D. Sanders

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your having problems after a FW update, then there maybe a problem with how your updating or you may have a hardware problem. 

Not everyone has problems with FW updates. 

Troubleshooting steps are needed. A good engineer would know this. 

At least a reboot is needed. 

Last resort a factory reset is needed. 

Been using v12 since it came out and have not had problems logging in to the UI or Orbi app. 

Best method is to update the RBS first then RBR lastly via manual update, power OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds then back ON. 

If problems are seen after a FW update, then a factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed. 

v6 has now been superseded by newer versions of FW including v12:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

It's up to users to update FW or not. 

Maybe someting to try out. Either way, if you have problems then it would be best for you to contact NG support. 

Good Luck. 

@PharmD76 wrote:

Please do not listen to netgear or any of the experts they don't know what they are talking about with the Firmware updates if you upgrade your very expensive Orbi AX6000 from the shipped firmware you will regret it and it will preform exactly like originally described in the stream.  I had my ISP block the Netgear update URL as a black list site.

I spent 2 days on a customer support call, having me try Mickey Mouse things that I knew wouldn't work.  As a former NASA engineer I knew very quickly the Firmware is severly flawed to the point now the 192.168.1.1 web interface no longer works, and the ORBI app on the smartphone doesn't work.  I don't dare reboot the router for fear of it messing up my home network.  

Right now it is running blind and deaf, but it is still adding items, to the SSID.  If you restart your machine you will be helically wrapped around an incline plane.  Because I trusted Netgear I ended up taking not one but two RBK852. 

Dr. B.D. Sanders

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any updates on this? 

@westsdad wrote:

Thanks again FURRYe38 for your response.

I checked the switches and Power Saving Mode was Disabled on them.

IGMP Snooping was Enabled.  Changed it to Disabled.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7