Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Connection Issues

Meowow
Guide

Orbi Connection Issues

Model: RBRE960

I recently replaced an xFi router/modem from xfinity with a nighthawk modem (modem only) and an Orbi router and two satellites. About half my devices are connected okay (i have ~50 devices) but the others are sporadic. If I restart the router, different devices have the connection issues. I enabled the guest network and am able to connect some of the devices using that. It seems like some sort of an issue with DHCP or ip assignment but I’m having trouble isolating and fixing this. I’ve done all the basics: restarting everything, ip assignment (mixed bag there and hard with all the devices), connecting to the iot network, etc.
Net gear support escalated the issue automatically due to the device model but I suspect this is a simple configuration issue that I’m missing that I can have solved before the callback. The guest WiFi also kicks me off periodically so that makes it less practical to use.
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Meowow
Guide

I disabled the 20/40 mhz coexistence option and that appears to have solved the issue. Three days of troubleshooting lol! Thank you both for your very helpful suggestions!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Dfran1
Apprentice

Hi
Do you know if the Orbi took an update?
If it did , did all the orbis’s take the same firmware and did you factory reset all orbi’s ? Then set up from scratch ? Then power everything off for a few minutes?

I use a 2.4 GHz channel of 7 , if I leave in auto some of my devices don’t connect, most likely due to the router auto assigned to a busy channel.

Edit
Also in the LAN tab , I moved DHCP from 192.168.1.2 to .100-175
Message 2 of 7
Meowow
Guide

Hi, thank you for your reply. I’ve powered everything off a few times troubleshooting some of the connections, but I have not tried a factory reset just yet since I’ve just installed the hardware. I can give that a shot though. I ended up switching to channel 6 but pretty much whichever devices connected first made the cut. I also have not checked if all the units took the update that the router did, but I’ll check that out as well. I changed my dhcp range to 30-230 with no effect.
Message 3 of 7
Meowow
Guide

Factory reset did not appear to help 😞
Message 4 of 7
Dfran1
Apprentice

Are all the orbi’s on the latest firmware?
I had to log into each device to upgrade the firmware
Start with the satellite’s first and when they are done do the main router last

Then factory reset all
Set up from scratch
Set SSID last , and put the 2.4 on a Chanel (android and computers have programs to tell you what channels are being used not iOS devices.
Set dhcp to .100-.200
When all config is done then put in your SSID and WiFi password, then power cycle modem, satellite’s , router, then after 6 minutes all your devices and try to connect
All I can say is I had the Orbi 50 before the 960 and both have never ever given me problems

You may have to default any device that is still being stubborn.

Good luck , I certainly understand your pain, I had many ASUS routers before these orbi’s and always had problems with them for years, then I gave up on them, got the Orbi and never had those problems again.
Message 5 of 7
Meowow
Guide

I disabled the 20/40 mhz coexistence option and that appears to have solved the issue. Three days of troubleshooting lol! Thank you both for your very helpful suggestions!
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@Meowow wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7