Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK852 4.6.3.16 broken, WiFi drops every 15 seconds, autoupdate can't be stopped

Orbi RBK852 4.6.3.16 broken, WiFi drops every 15 seconds, autoupdate can't be stopped

Hi

I write this in a very distressed and disgusted, appalled state that a company like Netgear thinks releasing a firmware update that wrecks your home internet is acceptable. Today everything from home security to appliances, to lighting, it's all f**ked. 

This 4.6.3.16 firmware that I wish I never clicked on has resulted in WiFi connection dropping to EVERY device, Samsung, Apple, LG TV, Hue etc every 15 or thereabouts seconds. 

I have had to downgrade to 3.2.18.1 to make this work. And work it did few a few days. I had to edit the web page code to allow the YES button to appear to downgrade because Netgear in their infinite wisdom has hidden that. ABSOLUTELY WOW. 

Now the Orbi insists on forcing the update on me! I come back an hour later and the router has been updated to the broken latest 4.6.3.16!! UNREAL. 

So, I thought of enabling Telnet so that I could set the auto pudate to OFF and you guessed it, Netgear have disabled Telnet on my AX orbi! This company is absolutely UNREAL in their IDIOCY. 

All I was doing was minding my own business in MY HOME and this company, Netegar, reached into MY HOME and messed it all up.

Within 5 minutes of downgrading to 3.X the router has FORCED the upgrade to 4.6.3.16. 

There's more. I blocked *.netgear.com to block this forced firmware update - the satellite stops working as it is clearing doing some communicating back to netgear.com!!! YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE THIS SH*T UIP.

Message 1 of 11

Re: Orbi RBK852 4.6.3.16 broken, WiFi drops every 15 seconds, autoupdate can't be stopped

Looked at the Watchguard firewall logs to see where the Orbi was reaching out for firmware updates and found up.netgear.com

I've blocked that on the firewall and automatic updates are now failing. Problem solved.

Netgear, you are a disgrace and a joke. I am ashamed to have a Netgear product in my home and I will strenuosly advice everyone I speak to and or who asks me to stay away from Netgear. You are garbage.

Finally, I spent a little over an hour with support - the lady was fine, though undertrained. They acknowledged this is a known issue and that a new release was coming.

I am steering clear. 

Good luck and pray.

Message 2 of 11

It's been f**king months and they still haven't fixed this. They just closed my ticket as solved - this after they told me they were aware and a new firmware would be coming. 

WHAT. THE. F***.

Never again buying from this garbage company. Will do everything in my power to spread the word. 

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 11

I created this post back in September 2021. 

Netgear has yet to fix this. I tried the current 4.6.7.13 firmware and the Orbi RBK852 (1 router+1 satellite) keeps dropping the WiFi signal every 20-30 seconds. Identical problem from 6 months ago.

This is in AP mode.

Had to roll back to 3.2.18.1 to get this working again.

Netgear are a disgrace and clearly don't give a f*ck. 

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

All recommend you contact NG support and aks for help and information regarding your system. 

I've not seen this issue with mine while in AP mode. There maybe a HW issue with yours.

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Please refrain from using bad language in the forums. Not helpful.

Thank you. 

Message 6 of 11

I did contact them. They told me next firmware update would address.

As for your language comment, failing to provide a working product or solution is akin to theft. I’ll stick to my censored language, thank you.
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so I put my RBK853 v4.6.7.13 FW online in AP mode behing my R7960P router that just go new FW update. Going to let this run for a few days and monitor my system. So far have not seen any issue yet and the system has been online for just over an hour. If any wifi drops, my camers will let me know or anything else that stands out. 

0DayUpTime.png

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

There either is a configuration, environment or HW issue. Not always FW and not everyone is seeing this issue. 

Message 9 of 11

You're kidding right?

Router works fine in AP mode at 3.2.18.1.

This problem is not unique to me.

Running firmware that old with several known vulnerabilities is a serious concern.

I've had zero support from NetGear. This is why I do not recommend this company.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Mines working fine as well in v.13:

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 10.31.41 PM.png

No seeing any disconnects every 15 seconds as you seem to be. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7