Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK852 and AX Features - What do those features do?

rayraysf
Guide

Orbi RBK852 and AX Features - What do those features do?

I've just installed a new RBK852 router and have had issues connecting my PC laptop to it via wifi.  I found that if I disable the AX features on the router, I am able to see the Orbi network on my laptop but if those features are enabled, I can't see/connect to the Orbi network on my laptop.  I've tried to find some information that documents what those AX features do exactly but have had no luck finding any.  Does anyone know what those features do when enabled?  Given that I have many devices connecting to this throughout my house, I'm trying to understand what the implications of having these AX features disabled are.  

Any insight is appreciated

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Gooe to hear, pleas mark your thread as solved.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@rayraysf wrote:

thank you!  that solution worked for me as well

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
kildare
Luminary

Without AX enabled you can't get WiFi 6 connections in case you have WiFi 6 capable devices.

Message 2 of 16
Mikey94025
Hero

Using the website admin page (http://orbilogin.com/start.htm), go to Advanced... Advanced... Wireless Settings.  Change CTS/RTS Thresholds for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz to 2347.

The default is much lower than what other Netgear devices have used so they've been recommending 2347.  It fixes a lot of wifi compatibility issues with various devices.  I've found that this fix is the only thing I needed, e.g., I can leave AX enabled for the benefit of devices with wifi 6.

Message 3 of 16
rayraysf
Guide

Thank you for the suggestion!  I tried that but my PC still can only pick up the network when the AX feature is disabled.  It was worth a try though

Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model # of the PC and the PC wireless adapter install in this PC? 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/94150/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-8265.html

This adapter  is about 4 years old. Possible there maybe some incompatibility...

I have a D-Link DWA-192 USB adapter that works well with Orbi AX when AX enable. 

If updating drivers doesn't work, then you may need to contact NG support and have them review debug logs...

@rayraysf wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion!  I tried that but my PC still can only pick up the network when the AX feature is disabled.  It was worth a try though

Message 5 of 16
rayraysf
Guide

It is a Dell Latitude 7280 running Windows 10. Uses the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC8265
Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the Intel adapter driver been updated? 

Message 7 of 16
rayraysf
Guide

Yes. It is up to date. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it
Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable WPA security on the RBR temporarily with AX mode enabled? Samething? 

I would contact NG support and ask them to review your debug logs from the RBR. 

You may need to upgrade the adapter in the PC as well. 

Message 9 of 16
Balticblond
Initiate

One of my housemates ahd the same problem after we installed the Netgear Orbi RBS753 Mesh Wifi 6 system from Costco. Her laptop couldn't see the network.

Turns out there are a few models of Intel Wifi Network Adapters that don't play well when "AX Features" are enabled-- Here are the models from the post:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060384/My-Windows-device-is-not-detecting-my-AX-router-s-wireless-network-...

"...If your Windows device is not detecting your AX router’s wireless network, you might have an older Intel (R) wireless network adapter (some older Intel adapters include: Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-3160, AC-3165, AC-7260, AC-7265 and AC-8260)..."

My housemate has an Intel AC-7265. Once AX was disabled, like you, it worked fine.

Disabling apparently isn't an issue unless you already have started using Wifi-6 devices. Obviously eventually we all well, so this becomes more important in coming days, as there's no point in spending the big bucks for the AX system if we can't use it "enabled".

Vic

MY SYSTEM:

Netgear Orbi RBS753 AX4200: Router (RBR750) plus 3 Satelllites (RBS750), 

Firmware Version V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try CTS value from 64 to 2347 and AX enabled. 

@Balticblond wrote:

One of my housemates ahd the same problem after we installed the Netgear Orbi RBS753 Mesh Wifi 6 system from Costco. Her laptop couldn't see the network.

Turns out there are a few models of Intel Wifi Network Adapters that don't play well when "AX Features" are enabled-- Here are the models from the post:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060384/My-Windows-device-is-not-detecting-my-AX-router-s-wireless-network-...

"...If your Windows device is not detecting your AX router’s wireless network, you might have an older Intel (R) wireless network adapter (some older Intel adapters include: Intel Dual Band Wireless AC-3160, AC-3165, AC-7260, AC-7265 and AC-8260)..."

My housemate has an Intel AC-7265. Once AX was disabled, like you, it worked fine.

Disabling apparently isn't an issue unless you already have started using Wifi-6 devices. Obviously eventually we all well, so this becomes more important in coming days, as there's no point in spending the big bucks for the AX system if we can't use it "enabled".

Vic

MY SYSTEM:

Message 11 of 16
BigElectricCat
Initiate

Similar system. The slightly less powerful wifi6 mesh system Orbi RBK753 AX4200

had the exact same problem with an older Dell inspiron notebook 5547. it was the only device in the house that couldn't see the wifi network. Dell's most recent firmware did not include the most recent intel firmware for the wifi adapter: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160.

I found the solution on the intel support website here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000054799/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

I downloaded the most recent driver here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59484/Intel-Wireless-Products

Ran the intel update, reboot, and the wireless network became visible.  Success!

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for leetting us know. Seems wifi adapter drivers need updating to work right with Orbi AX. 

@BigElectricCat wrote:

Similar system. The slightly less powerful wifi6 mesh system Orbi RBK753 AX4200

had the exact same problem with an older Dell inspiron notebook 5547. it was the only device in the house that couldn't see the wifi network. Dell's most recent firmware did not include the most recent intel firmware for the wifi adapter: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160.

I found the solution on the intel support website here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000054799/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

I downloaded the most recent driver here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59484/Intel-Wireless-Products

Ran the intel update, reboot, and the wireless network became visible.  Success!

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Balticblond wrote:

Vic

MY SYSTEM:

Message 14 of 16
rayraysf
Guide

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Gooe to hear, pleas mark your thread as solved.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@rayraysf wrote:

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7