Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR 50 2.4 GHz connection issues

mrm18
Tutor

Orbi RBR 50 2.4 GHz connection issues

I have the Orbi RBR 50 with 2 RBS 50 satellites.  I seem to be having issues with the 2.4 hz stability.  When I look at the details on my app it just says connection Type 5Ghz.  So I'm not even seeing the 2.4  suggestions on what to look at  / fix?

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
Phyber
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBR 50 2.4 GHz connection issues

Enable the Guest Network and point your 2.4GHz devices to that. Or, enable the Guest Network, change the GN SSID name to something else and give it a different password than you have for your primary network. That worked fine for my old RBR50 system with 2 hard wired sats  and works great for my RBR750 system with 2 hard wired sats.

Message 2 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@mrm18 wrote:

I have the Orbi RBR 50 with 2 RBS 50 satellites.  I seem to be having issues with the 2.4 hz stability.  When I look at the details on my app it just says connection Type 5Ghz.  So I'm not even seeing the 2.4  suggestions on what to look at  / fix?

Are there devices that support only 2.4G WiFi that are connected to the network and are working correctly?

And this is regarding user device connections, not the satellite to router 'backhaul' connection, correct?

Message 3 of 14
mrm18
Tutor

Yes the device that keeps having issues is my new Laser Printer.  it will be the correct IP then dropps to an invalid IP.  The techs says it's becuase it's having issues with the 2.4 Ghz.  That is the only thing it can connect to.

Message 4 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

If you supply the model number, we can look at the user manual on line.

How long does the printer remain on-line with a valid IP address before it changes?

Does the invalid IP begin with 169.254?

Message 5 of 14
mrm18
Tutor

I tired that.  It didn't work.  Switched to the 169.  IP address like it has been doing

Message 6 of 14
mrm18
Tutor

Yes it switches to the to 169...  The printer I have is the Canon imageCLASS MF653Cdw.  I spent a long time with their tech support and what she said was the printer connects to the 2.4GHz.  That the printer gets the address from the router.  That when it goes to the 169 IP that although it shows connected it really isn't.  Very very frustrating.

The room that the printer is in, it is 10 feet or so from the satellite.  The speed in the room is very fast per the app.  But that is the 5.4  I since I can't see what is happening with the 2.4 I don't know if it's dropping in and out.

Message 7 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for providing the model number.  On the setup process, does the Orbi WiFi SSID appear on the list of available networks (page 4, step 8)?

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300041600/03/MF656Cdw_SG_US_multi_1.pdf 

After entering the password, the process appears to  be successful?  (printer displays an IP address consistent with the Orbi network?)

How much tiime elapses before the printer changes to the Link Local IP address? (169.254.x.x)?

Are there any other devices in the house that are connected to the 2.4G WiFi network?  (smart plugs? light bulbs? garage door openers? thermostats? )

Message 8 of 14
mrm18
Tutor

Yes it does appear successful and I can see the proper IP.  Then when I turn it off and turn it back on, it still appears fine until I try to print.  Then I'll get a message that the IP address has changed, which is always back to the 169 IP and it doesn't work any longer.  Sometimes I can get it back to the 192 IP again by reconnecting to the network, but really I shouldn't have to and that doesn't always work.  I am not having these issues with anything else.  And it never appears to resets on it's own.

Message 9 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@mrm18 wrote:

Yes it does appear successful and I can see the proper IP.  Then when I turn it off and turn it back on, it still appears fine until I try to print.

Wow.  I never turn my printer off.

What device is trying to print?

How is this device connected to the network?

Is the Canon printer driver installed on this device?

(See User Manual: https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-6621-zz-SSM-650-enUS/contents/devu-mobile-cone-accesspm.html#0703_h1_... )

Like so many newer printers, this one also allows devices to print directly to it without using the home network by creating its own WiFi access point.  I did not notice a method to disable this feature (but I did not read every page of the manual.)

Message 10 of 14
mrm18
Tutor

Hi,  I'm not sure I totally understand your question.  I turn off my printer as this is for home use and I don't use it that often.  So converving energy

I print from my computer that is running Windows 11.  I print through my home Wifi. The Printer is set up thorugh Wifi.  I hope that answers your question

Message 11 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  We're just lazy buggers.  The printer is upstairs and we print from all over the house (laptops, tablets, etc.)  Too lazy to climb the stairs and turn it on.

Aside from, "this is not supposed to happen", it is a puzzle where to focus: the printer or the network.

Does the Canon printer utility have a feature to print a test page?

(Tryiing to determine if it ever prints correctly, or if the problem is only when turned off and back on.)

My printer has an assigned IP address in the Orbi LAN setup table so that every time it turns on it gets the same IP address from the router.  Does this Canon printer have an assigned IP address?

Message 12 of 14
mrm18
Tutor

Yes it prints correctly.  But it will lose the address.  I don't have a specific assgiend IP address.  I'/m using the DCHC (or something like that).  HOw did you specifically assign an IP on the ORBI?  I don't know how to do that.  That may help.  And how did you figure out what IP to assign as I assume it must be different than the normal one that seems to come up.   I know how to do that on the printer.  And when you say LAN? that doesn't mean hardwired right?  that is the router?  

Thanks again

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements