Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR350 behind ubee-ubc1318zg modem

Pieter-Jan
Aspirant

Orbi RBR350 behind ubee-ubc1318zg modem

For 6 months I am having an internet connection that frequently is disconnected. At that time I used a Ubee EVW321B (in bridge-modus) and TP-link Deco P9. The latter one was working as a cable modem as well as a wifi modem. Before this period it worked good with a stable internet connection but for some reason, the internet connection became very unstable. I tried a new cable splitter and new connection cables which were sent to me by the internet provider but this did not work. Therefore, I changed the TP-link for the Netgear Orbi RBR353 (Orbi RBR350 with 2 satellites) with the hope to get a better connection. Yet this was idle hope. I still had to restart the modem, router and all the other apparatus more than once a day. Finally, the internet provider change the Ubee mode for a newer one; the Ubee UBC1318ZG modem. The repairer from the provider also changed some other, older connection points and fixed a problem in our block Points-of-presence of the cable. This made the internet connection much better although I still had to restart the laptops, Mobi's etc once a day to keep the internet stable. To see if it was an issue for the internet provider I clicked a laptop directly on the modem and this gave a stable connection although the latency (ping) was on the slower side (more than 30 ms). When using the Ubee and Orbi together the connection became unstable again with latency between 20 and 800 ms and very frequently package losses of 100%. As this is only the case when the Orbi is connected to the Ubee I think it has something to do with the settings of the Orbi or the interaction between the Orbi and the Ubee. Does anyone recognise this problem or have a solution that could fix this unstable internet connection? That would be great. By the way, the Orbi has the latest firmware update. We are using both Windows 10/11 and macOS. Thanks  

Pieter-Jan 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Pieter-Jan
Aspirant

Dear forum members,

The problem has been solved. It appeared that the Apple Time capsule was the problem. It was part of the network as a backup system for my MacBook bot was disable to act as a router or wifi point. Dus to some kind of problem it was disturbing the internet signal. Now it is out of the network al is stable with nu interruption or bad signals.

I would like to thank Furrye38 for his advise.

Greetings,

Pieter-Jan

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Message 2 of 7
Pieter-Jan
Aspirant

Dear Furrye38,

Thank you for your reply. I tried your solutions but alas it did not help.

I also tried to connect a laptop direct to the Ubee modem and that give good signals and internet connection. When I connect the Orbi to the modem and use it as a router I keep on getting frequent periods od loss of connection. I tried to connecting the modem direct to the cable entrance but without results. In both WIFI and cable I still got these unstable connections. I think there must be some kind of a miscommunication between the modem and the Orbi. Is there something I can do in the settings of the Orbi? Thanks

Greetings,

Pieter-Jan

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What CAT# LAN cable are you using between the ISP modem and RBR? CAT6 is recommended.

Try the modem in router mode and the RBR in AP mode. Be sure the ISP Modems wifi is fully disabled. 

Message 4 of 7
Pieter-Jan
Aspirant

Thanks, Furrye38,

I have cat 7 cables running through the house. The cable between the modem and the router is the network cable I got with the Orbi. This appeared to be a Cat 5e cable. I changed this now for a cat 7 cable I got. I will let you know if that makes any difference. If not I will try your second advice.

Greetings,

Pieter-Jan

Message 5 of 7
Pieter-Jan
Aspirant

Dear forum members,

The problem has been solved. It appeared that the Apple Time capsule was the problem. It was part of the network as a backup system for my MacBook bot was disable to act as a router or wifi point. Dus to some kind of problem it was disturbing the internet signal. Now it is out of the network al is stable with nu interruption or bad signals.

I would like to thank Furrye38 for his advise.

Greetings,

Pieter-Jan

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7