Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 / RBK853 IPv6 support; does it support 6in4 tunnels? Does it have IPv6 firewall?

ChrisJ60
Follower

Orbi RBR50 / RBK853 IPv6 support; does it support 6in4 tunnels? Does it have IPv6 firewall?

I am considering purchasing an Orbi WiFi-6 mesh system (specifically the RBK853) to replace my current setup. My existing setup consists of 3x Apple AirPort Extreme (6th generation) unit, one configured as a router and the others as APs. The WiFi network is; extended; over my wired GigaBit backbone. I have been carefully reading the user manual for the RBR50 and I have some questions in order to verify if theRBR50 series will meet my needs).

1.    The RBR850 supports several different IPv6 connection methods for the Internet connection but as far as I can see it does not support the very popular/common 6in4 tunnel method? My IPv6 Internet access is via a 6in4 tunnel and it is currently the only option available to me. Since I require IPv6 Internet access this would suggest that I cannot proceed with an RBR50 based setup but given that my several years old AirPort Extreme supports 6in4 it seems strange that a modern cutting edge device like the RBR50 does not support it. Is it possible to configure a 6in4 tunnel on the RBR50? If so how?

2.    I operate several servers on my home network and I expose some of the services provided by those servers on the Internet over both IPv4 and IPv6. I can do this for IPv4 using port forwarding but for IPv6 I need a proper IPv6 firewall function in the router since port forwarding is not meaningful for IPv6 (again, my current AirPort Extreme units have this feature) . I don't see any mention of this feature in the RBR50 user guide? Can someone confirm if this function is available and explain how to configure it?

Here is an example; my public routable IPv6 prefix is 2001:10:20:30:: (just an example) and I have three servers in my home network - 2001:10:20:30::10, 2001:10:20:30::15 and 2001:10:20:30::25. I want to open ports 25, 53, 80, 443 and 587 for 2001:10:20:30::10, ports 53, 80 and 443 for 2001:10:20:30::15 and port 443 for  2001:10:20:30::25. No other *incoming* IPv6 connections should be allowed. How can I configure this on the RBR50?

3.    Is it possible to 'connect' the Router and satellites using GigaBit wired connections rather than the WiFi backhaul? Would this provide faster/more reliable operation?

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 / RBK853 IPv6 support; does it support 6in4 tunnels? Does it have IPv6 firewall?

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@ChrisJ60 wrote:

1.    The RBR850 supports several different IPv6 connection methods for the Internet connection but as far as I can see it does not support the very popular/common 6in4 tunnel method? My IPv6 Internet access is via a 6in4 tunnel and it is currently the only option available to me. Since I require IPv6 Internet access this would suggest that I cannot proceed with an RBR50 based setup but given that my several years old AirPort Extreme supports 6in4 it seems strange that a modern cutting edge device like the RBR50 does not support it. Is it possible to configure a 6in4 tunnel on the RBR50? If so how?

This question was posed recently about the CBR750 (cable modem included model):

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/Orbi-CBR750-amp-TunnelBroker-IPv6-Se... 

I believe the conclusions was "no".

It could be that the world has "passed by" 6in4 and products no longer support it?

@ChrisJ60 wrote:

I3.    Is it possible to 'connect' the Router and satellites using GigaBit wired connections rather than the WiFi backhaul? Would this provide faster/more reliable operation?

This question has a more positive answer: yes. The original Orbi RBR50 and the newer "AX" models all support gigabit ethernet connection between router and satellites.  (The support a mix of WiFi and ethernet backhaul connections.)

It could be that Orbi is not the product for you.  You were certainly thinking ahead to look for this specific IPv6 connection before purchasing.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, I believe the RBR AX system differs slightly from the CBR AX system. 

The RBR AX system has 6to4 support:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/m-p/2018059/highlig...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series