Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 and Link Aggregation

prash001
Follower

Orbi RBR750 and Link Aggregation

Hey guys,

Have Fiber internet service with 1.5GB service. The ISP's modem's 10gbe port is hooked up to my 2.5GB port on my Mikrotik Router and am able to get internet with no issues. Speed tests look great on hard wired devices.

The Orbi has link aggregation however I have the Orbi set to AP mode not Router mode as my Mikrotik is the router. I tried to use the WAN and LAN1 port on the Orbi hooked to 2 ports on my router and bonded the ports on my router side. The Orbi would do do strange things, it gets an IP and my devices connect to it but then the devices would disconnect from the orbi.

Only way to get the orbi to work was just using one ethernet port (WAN) which limits it to 1gb . Any ideas from anyone here on how to get the Orbi to work with link aggregation in AP mode?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR750 and Link Aggregation

I don't believe LAG is supported in AP mode. The RBR needs to be in router mode to use LAG. 

Message 2 of 3
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Orbi RBR750 and Link Aggregation

Link aggregation mode must be support by and enabled for both sides, e.g., your modem and the Orbi when using Router mode.  In Access Point mode, the upstream switch would have to support LAG and have it enabled.  https://kb.netgear.com/000051185/What-are-link-aggregation-and-LACP-and-how-can-I-use-them-in-my-net... points out that "Unmanaged switches do not support link aggregation".

I suspect that your Mikrotik Router does not support LAG but if it has an option to enable it and allow two ethernet ports connected to the downstream device, give it a try.  LAG will certainly not work just by connected two ethernet cables to two if its ethernet ports.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7