Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR750 drops internet every 24 hours

Orbi RBR750 drops internet every 24 hours

Every 24 hours, my Orbi RBR750 will drop the internet connection and not work for any devices, even those hardwired in. ALL devices plugged into it or on it's wifi do not get internet access. I can instantly fix the internet access by releasing and renewing my IP address lease on the router. After that, everything works again. This problem occurs every 24 hours right when the device is set to renew it's lease. Infact, it is exactly 24 hours later, I've timed it and looked at the logs. 

My setup is an RBR750 and RBS750 directly connected to the ethernet box coming into my house from my fiber to home connection. I do not have a modem that I can access. The modem is outside the house as I've got fiber to internet and just have an ethernet jack in the wall that's always on.

I have tried everything imaginable to get this fixed. I've reset the router. Factory reset the router. Upgraded to the latest firmware. I tried V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 the latest version available via update button, 3.2.17.12 the latest available on the website, all to no avail.

The ONLY thing that made this go away was to downgrade to firmware 3.2.16.6. That fixed the problem and I haven't had any issues with it. No more dropping after 24 hours. Same settings as before, just different firmware. If I upgrade to ANY later firmware, it drops every 24 hours. On this firmware, no problems.

Sounds like a firmware bug to me. Any thoughts, suggestions, or way to get netgear to acknowledge and fix the firmware bug?

Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about and let them know what your seeing between the versions of FW that you have tried. 

Possible a FW issue and something with handling of your particular ONT as well. 
A power cycle of the ONT for 1 minute as well should have been performed when you updated FW. 

Contact NG support and let them know what you saw. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 16
rbk750
Tutor

I have exactly same issue on my RBR750. 

I need to stay at version 3.2.16.6 to make it work, any version above will not work (disconnection few times a day). 

I was able to prevent upgrade in the past month by setting "auto_upgrade_enable=0" and various other configs. 

However, recently since last friday/saturday,  my router got upgrade to 3.2.18.x every night, and I wake up with no internet connection everyday.  I need to rollback to 3.2.16.6 each day, and I also tuned various other configs to see if auto upgrade can be disabled, no luck so far. 

there are various configs being set automatically during startup even after I clear these configs:
such as 
control_cloud_backend_return_url=https://http.fw.updates1.netgear.com/rbr750/V3.2.18

control_cloud_backend_download_ur

some suspicous auto upgrade pipe is opened, such as:
... root ... S abFifo /tmp/auto_fw_upgrade_daily /tmp/data2/auto_fw
... root ... S abFifo /tmp/auto_fw_upgrade_force /tmp/data2/auto_fw

I have spent many hours fighting with NG support for this issue one/two month ago without any resolution. 

All I need is a way to complete disable auto upgrade until the issue is fully resolved. 

I really appreciate someone could help. 

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you powering OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds then back ON after the units update? 

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch as well. https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

@rbk750 wrote:

I have exactly same issue on my RBR750. 

I need to stay at version 3.2.16.6 to make it work, any version above will not work (disconnection few times a day). 

I was able to prevent upgrade in the past month by setting "auto_upgrade_enable=0" and various other configs. 

However, recently since last friday/saturday,  my router got upgrade to 3.2.18.x every night, and I wake up with no internet connection everyday.  I need to rollback to 3.2.16.6 each day, and I also tuned various other configs to see if auto upgrade can be disabled, no luck so far. 

there are various configs being set automatically during startup even after I clear these configs:
such as 
control_cloud_backend_return_url=https://http.fw.updates1.netgear.com/rbr750/V3.2.18

control_cloud_backend_download_ur

some suspicous auto upgrade pipe is opened, such as:
... root ... S abFifo /tmp/auto_fw_upgrade_daily /tmp/data2/auto_fw
... root ... S abFifo /tmp/auto_fw_upgrade_force /tmp/data2/auto_fw

I have spent many hours fighting with NG support for this issue one/two month ago without any resolution. 

All I need is a way to complete disable auto upgrade until the issue is fully resolved. 

I really appreciate someone could help. 

Message 4 of 16
rbk750
Tutor

I tried factory reset multiple times before, e.g.,  after upgrade to 3.2.16.22,  3.2.17.12, after roll back to 3.2.16.6.  none of these work. 

The only version that works for me is 3.2.16.6 or before.

I got auto upgrade again last night, and then disconnection few hours after upgrade (unplug/replug the ethernet cable, or check the connection status on the web gui page will connect router back to internet). 

Plan to rollback 3.2.16.6 again,   Please advice a way to prevent auto upgrade.  

Message 5 of 16

Agree fully with everything outlined above. Clear firmware bug with only that version or earlier solving the problem. Now that my RBR750 is automatically upgrading daily I’m ordering a new mesh system from another company. I keep fixing it by downgrading firmware to one that works and the router keeps breaking itself upgrading to the broken firmware. Unable to get it to stop upgrading. The telnet solution isn’t working or an option. Need to get fixed ASAP since router keeps breaking the downgrade fix!
Message 6 of 16

It has started automatically upgrading to the 3.2.18.1 firmware every day and I cannot turn off automatic upgrades. It’s fixed and works on 3.2.16.6 but when it Automatically upgrade to the newer version it breaks the Internet IP address renew and release lease functionality as outlined in my original post starting the thread. Firmware upgrade breaks this and router upgrades itself daily even after I downgrade its firmware version.
Message 7 of 16
rbk750
Tutor

It auto upgraded daily for me as well.  

At least netgear should ask for permission before upgrade. It is super anonnoying. 

Message 8 of 16
sjmarshall
Aspirant

I'm having similar issues since the update to 3.2.18.1. My wireless and ethernet connections both drop multiple times a day. I've been trying to rollback to an earlier FW, but it keeps failing on both the RBR and the RBS, no idea why. I've done a factory reset on both the RBR and the RBS, still no luck. Does anyone have any tips on reverting the FW?

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make contact with @Christian_R 

There is a newer beta version for the 7 series which seems to help with some users having issues. Try this first. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@sjmarshall wrote:

I'm having similar issues since the update to 3.2.18.1. My wireless and ethernet connections both drop multiple times a day. I've been trying to rollback to an earlier FW, but it keeps failing on both the RBR and the RBS, no idea why. I've done a factory reset on both the RBR and the RBS, still no luck. Does anyone have any tips on reverting the FW?

Message 10 of 16
sjmarshall
Aspirant

I have an Arris Touchstone CM8200.
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Let us know how the new FW works for you. 

Message 12 of 16
sriorbi
Aspirant

I downgraded the firmware and it worked for me. I had the same issue which was very frustrating experience to say the least. Thank you for your information. very helpful. 

I can't seem to see Netgear acknowlegde this issue with a mention of resolution date. I expected a better quality, support and response from Netgear. 

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version did you downgrade too? 

Make contact with NG support to advise them on your experiences and let them know. 

@sriorbi wrote:

I downgraded the firmware and it worked for me. I had the same issue which was very frustrating experience to say the least. Thank you for your information. very helpful. 

I can't seem to see Netgear acknowlegde this issue with a mention of resolution date. I expected a better quality, support and response from Netgear. 

Message 14 of 16
sriorbi
Aspirant

I downgraded from V3.2.18.1 to 3.2.16.6 

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@TheFinalProphet wrote:
It has started automatically upgrading to the 3.2.18.1 firmware every day and I cannot turn off automatic upgrades. It’s fixed and works on 3.2.16.6 but when it Automatically upgrade to the newer version it breaks the Internet IP address renew and release lease functionality as outlined in my original post starting the thread. Firmware upgrade breaks this and router upgrades itself daily even after I downgrade its firmware version.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7