Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR750 satelite update without ethernet

vdotmatrix
Guide

Orbi RBR750 satelite update without ethernet

I have an Orbi Mesh system RBR750 with two satellites. In the orbi app the are red in the device manager.  There RBR750's firmware is current but the two satellites have dashes where the firmware version should be. (I assume RBS- means satellite).

How do you update the satellites without ethernet?

I had this similar issue over a year ago with no resolution.

Message 1 of 40

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

There we go. Yay. 

I'd disable the Auto Update feature to be sure the RBR doesn't get updated from NG. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 40

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Are they appearing in the RBRs web page as connected or disconnected? 

IF they can be ethernet connected, connected them that way and use the IP address seen on the RBRs web page for each RBS and log into the RBS web page and update FW there manually:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

Remember, the RBS need to be updated first before the RBR, then RBR lastly. 

Message 2 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

orbi rbr750 updating firmware

RBR=router

RBS=satellite?

The router firmware is current.

I think I need to update the satelites but do know how. I have the app but it doesn't follow the instructions in the manual: there is NO ADVANCED button or section.

How do I do this? I have an Imac, MBP and a windows box downstairs.

satellites off and onsatellites off and on

Message 3 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

I arrived at a login but I could not login.

admin

password did not work

Message 4 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

The IP address would be different for the RBS if ethernet connected. 

If there connected via ethernet and using there assigned IP address, log in may appear and admin and password should work if they don't sync. If they sync and have good signal, then use the same log in as you use on the RBR. 

Message 5 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

OKAY...I changed the password to access this thing and got in.

The RBR firmware is current

I cannot tell if the satellites are current.

I am in the attached devices section and see this screen. The two satellites bounce between connected and disconnected.

Screen Shot 2024-06-15 at 1.58.29 PM.png

Message 6 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, there is the reason, you have RBS350s. These are NOT compatible with v7 of FW. 

You need to downgrade the RBR back to v4 version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBK653-Firmware-Version-4-6-14-...

Please disable the auto update feature as well on the RBR after downgrading the RBR back to v4 so it won't auto update back to v7. 

Message 7 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

I downloaded the v4 software. rbr and rbs.

#1 says to select the box next to the satellite name= there is no box.

Screen Shot 2024-06-15 at 1.58.29 PM.png

Message 8 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Select Disconnect for the one RBS that doesn't connect. Turn OFF the one RBS that is connected. 

Factory reset the other RBS that doesn't seem connected by pressing the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. Once the front LED begins to plusate WHITE, use the RBRs web page to Add Satellite. Do this with this one RBS placed in same room as RBR. 

Message 9 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

But when is RBS350-v4 software used to update the satellites. These files are sitting in my download folder but like I said in the previous message there is no box to select to  update or upload the v4 into the RBS..... thank you for your patience.

Message 10 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Can only presume both RBS were updated already to v4. 

Factory reset the one RBS thats not connecting and don't do anything for about 5 minutes. With a ethernet connected PC connected to the back of this one RBS, using a web browser, you should be able to log into it's self service web page at 192.168.10.250. If you can get in using admin and password, and check to see FW version here. If it hasn't been updated, then you can updated here. 

Or ethernet connect the RBS to the back of the RBR and use the given IP address for each RBS to log into the RBS web pages and update the RBS directly to there web page using the RBS files you have on your PC.

Then needs to be resynced as mentioned in previous post. Hope fully it will connect. 

Message 11 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

Nothing has been updated. The updates are sitting my download folder.

does it matter that I am on a mac?

I am able to log in but nothing gives me the ability to update each satellite. 

at this point I have reset each sat. And unplugged one . Plugged the other next to the rbr750 and connected with an ethernet cord. Waiting a few minutes fir magic to happen.

Message 12 of 40
CrimpOn
Guru

After downloading firmware and unpacking the *.chk file from the *.zip file:

• Connect to the web interface
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab (and wait until it loads fully)
  • Open the Administration menu
  • Open the Firmware Update menu
  • Click on the Advanced Tab
  • "above the line" is a section to manually update the router
  • "below the line" there should be a row for each satellite.
    Click on one of the satellites and proceed to follow the directions to browse to the location of the *.chk file for satellites and upload it.
    The issue is that sometimes when satellites are on different firmware than the router, they do not appear in the manual update tab.
Message 13 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

1. Select the check box next to your satellite's model name. THIS DOESN'T APPEAR.

"below the line" there should be a row for each satellite.
Click on one of the satellites and proceed to follow the directions to browse to the location of the *.chk file for satellites and upload it.

I AM ON MY WINDOWS BOX DOWNSTAIRS AND THIS DOESN'T APPEAR HERE EITHER.

This is all I see. The satellites do appear as an option

IMG_8133.PNGIMG_8134.PNGIMG_8132.PNG

Message 14 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

...Satellites do NOT appear as an option.

Message 15 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the one RBS thats not connecting and don't do anything for about 5 minutes. With a ethernet connected PC connected to the back of this one RBS, using a web browser, you should be able to log into it's self service web page at 192.168.10.250. If you can get in using admin and password, and check to see FW version here. If it hasn't been updated, then you can updated here. 

Or ethernet connect the RBS to the back of the RBR and use the given IP address for each RBS to log into the RBS web pages and update the RBS directly to there web page using the RBS files you have on your PC.

Then needs to be resynced as mentioned in previous post. Hope fully it will connect. 

Message 16 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

This doesn’t work.

If you can get in using admin and password, and check to see FW version here. If it hasn't been updated, then you can updated here.” I CAN GET IN, but FW VERSIONS NOT VISIBLE AND THERE IS NO WAY TO AFFECT THE SATELLITE FW. I DON’T SEE A WAY TO “update here”.

“Or ethernet connect the RBS to the back of the RBR and use the given IP address for each RBS to log into the RBS web pages and update the RBS directly to there web page using the RBS files you have on your PC“ ALL THIS DID WAS SAY IT WAS WIRED TO THE RBR. 

IMG_8134.png

Using the IP ADDRESSES on a MAC or a PC THERE STILL NO WAY TO SELECT A GIVEN SATELLITE FOR FIRMWARE UPDATE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 17 of 40
schumaku
Guru

While disconnected (wireless to the primary Orbi router) there can't be a magic connection established.

I would look on temporarily establishing an Ethernet connection to the router (in your case the other Orbi on a LAN port). 

Message 18 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

Thanks. See response #14 and #17.

Message 19 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

IMG_3566.pngWell after almost 24 hours working with volunteers here, I now have ZERO satellites in my network with NOWAY to upgrade or revert to a previous FW. 

I have no idea why it is necessary to do this. 

i have factory reset the rbr and the rbs a number of times, connected each individually with ethernet cable. NO JOY

THE last thing i could do is simply upload the v4 into the RBR against instructions to first update the RBS then the RBR, but right now all that is working is the RBR.

This is the second expensive NETGEAR system that we have had that has met an unfortunate and aggravating end-after the 8000 nighthawk thing.

where do I go from here? If any of you can please look through each screen shot and possibly see a button or check box that I missed to update the FW on the RBR or RBS, I will be a monkey’s uncle-whatever that means.

Message 20 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

I this case you have to load v4 FW back ON to the RBR since the RBS are probably already on V4 FW. All you need to do is to downgrade the RBR back to V4 FW. As mentioned in my 3rd post to you in this thread. 

Message 21 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

we’ve exchange 21 messages to establish the need to downgrade the firmware from the router and the satellite. The router still has the newest firmware. There is no way at all that I can see to update downgrade the satellite. 21 back-and-forth replies I’ve said the same thing over and over and over again. Nothing has been upgraded. Nothing has been downgraded the same up-to-date firmware on the router.
Message 22 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Since v.21 would not be applied to the RBS350s, these are probably still on v4 FW so there is no need to dowgrade or do any FW anything with the RBS350s. Only need to downgrade the RBR back to v4 as mentioned already. 

Message 23 of 40
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree. When an RBR750 router is connected to only RBS750 satellites, then all of the units can be updated to the latest firmware (satellites first).  When any RBS350 satellites are connected to the RBR750, they will function only if the RBR750 remains on firmware v4.6.14.3

Netgear's implementation of router-satellite communication can lead to a lot of frustration for customers when they are left with no mechanism to solve problems.  When the satellite does not connect at all, there is no way to do anything.

This RBK653 "Kit" with one RBR750 router and two RBS350 satellites is obviously defective when it will allow the router firmware to be updated.  The firmware should refuse to do so.  "Hey, dude.  There are RBS350's connected. They will be disconnected (permanently) if the router is upgraded!"

There are other ways a customer could wind up with this odd router/satellite combination.  A system with zero RBS350s could get updated and then the customer attempts to add an RBS350 because the Netgear web page says they are compatible. (with no footnote about the firmware requirement).

Message 24 of 40
vdotmatrix
Guide

Okay you guys….This makes more sense…… BUT…. Since i had no idea something like this was even possible [how is this router/satellite software mismatch possible??], i have been replacing modems and xfinity replaced our own modem that i thought was bad, with a modem with built in router, which renders the ORBI INOPERABLE… So, before I can work on the RbR, I have to reinstall the old modem by calling Comcast with the mac address…i am exhausted fiddling with this LAN stuff….and the $200 modem from amazon was used so i am send that back….so….this has been a real drag.   But i appreciate you guys being there….with patience…it will be a few hours before i can install a modem only device.

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series