Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR840

jrb5678
Aspirant

Orbi RBR840

I have an Orbi RBR840 AP router and (2) satellites. I moved into a new home that is completely wired with CAT6 cabling. I updated the router and switches in the wired system to all support Gigabit level speeds. My question is this. Can I directly connect each Orbi node directly to the wired network via their GigiE ports allowing each AP to backhaul  data to the Internet? Hope this makes sense.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR840

Assuming that the Orbi router is located at the patch panel / switch location, the ideal method of connection is to use a patch cable directly from the Orbi LAN port directly to the patch panel leading to each satellite (bypassing the switch).

Message 2 of 3
jrb5678
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR840

Thanks. The patch panel is located in the garage and is far from the home. I installed a new Gigabit cable modem, wired Gigabit router and a wired Gigabit switch that connects every room to the wired network. My intent is to connect the Orbi router in the kitchen which is centrally located. I then wanted to also connect each satellite to the wired network via their Ethernet respective ports. The idea is that each satellite would have a direct connection to the internet instead of relying on WiFi to backhaul data to the Orbi router. Does this make sense?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7