Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 Issues After Power Outage

TrustKibou
Aspirant

Orbi RBR850 Issues After Power Outage

Hey yall! Everyone's past comments/posts have helped me so much in the past, but unfortunately, I haven't found anything that can help me with this problem. 😕 For some reason, whenever my Orbi (main) router and modem get turned off, such as in a power outage, it is impossible to get them to reestablish an internet connection after they are turned back on. I have to reset the router and start an entire new Wi-Fi system (I use the same credentials of course) in order for any device to be able to connect to it. Is this normal?? It's really stressing me out because with my old Nighthawk, I never had to do this - when it turned on, everything was back to normal. Here is my equipment:

ROUTER: Orbi RBR850 (AX6000 spd) (includes 1 satellite)

MODEM: Netgear CM1000

I'm not too knowledge on networking, but I can definitely learn whatever I need to if that means I can come to a solution on this problem! Thanks ya'll.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 Issues After Power Outage

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What CAT lan cable is connecting the RBR to the CM modem? CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 7
ekhalil
Master

This has to be related to how Orbi gets IP address from your ISP. After power recycle it needs a new IP address.
In Orbi please look under >>ADVANCED>> Setup >> Internet Setup >>
How does your settings look like?
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Some ISP's are a little more challenging in how the IP address is handed out 

then need to be booted in a certain order. 

Next time. have everything powered off for a couple minutes. then boot up the modem and give it a couple minutes to fully boot. 

Then boot up the router. 

If that doesn't help, try disconnecting everything hardwired to the router and follow the same sequence. I had a sketchy media streamer the one time that whenever it was hardwired in, would prevent the router from pulling an IP from the modem (it shouldn't). Replaced it and I haven't had to worry about it since but it was a **** to figure out what was causing my issues. 

Message 4 of 7
TrustKibou
Aspirant

Firmware: V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

The CAT cable is just whichever one came in the box. Should I buy a new one/CAT6? I have a CAT8 plugged into the satellite into my PC, which probably doesn't mean anything in relation to this lol.

Message 5 of 7
TrustKibou
Aspirant

Oh, I did not know that! I currently have it set to "Get Dynamically IP Address from Router". Here are the rest:

WAN Preference: Internet Port (2.5 Gbps)

Does you Internet require a login?: No

Internet IP Address: Get Dynamically IP Address From Router

DNS Address: Get Automatically from ISP

Router MAC Address: Default Address

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Does it have the same issue if plugged into the 1gig port? 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7