Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR850 Link Aggregation Updates

lunarstudio
Follower

Orbi RBR850 Link Aggregation Updates

I saw a post earlier about someone on XFinity Comcast trying to enable link aggregation with a 1.2g service to their home.

I couldn't reply (the topic was closed) but I just wanted to note for others that in most cases, you may receive a faster speed to your router, however you're likely limited in speeds by the following currently:

Additional network switches that are not 1g or above.

1. The Orbi router itself only has 1g ports aside from the two dedicated LAG ports (which is unfortunate that it doesn't at least have 1.)
  2. Version of ethernet CAT cables and distances.
  3. Ethernet NIC versions of your devices (most likely 1g and under.)

The only real benefit currently for most LAG-enabled routers such as the Orbi are:

Speeds above 1G are possible only with WIFI enabled devices which support speeds above 1g. 

This is a big "ask"  as many WIFI devices do not support speeds greater than that, let alone even achieve 1g. Some of the more recent phones and tablets can hit these speeds but they're often in short speed bursts with internet providers and are limited by proximity, walls, and even interference.

Until the newest Orbis have an additional dedicated ethernet port, you will be limited to only a select few WIFI devices.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 Link Aggregation Updates

1. The Orbi router itself only has 1g ports aside from the two dedicated LAG ports (which is unfortunate that it doesn't at least have 1.) LAN ports yes. The Orbi 850 has a 2.5Gb WAN port though. 
  2. Version of ethernet CAT cables and distances. CAT6 UTP is recommended for 1Gb ports. CAT6A STP is recommended for using on the 2.5Gb WAN port. 
  3. Ethernet NIC versions of your devices (most likely 1g and under.) There IS ethernet adapters available that are 2.5 and up now. I have a 2.5 and a 5Gb adapter. Will see if I can get in to 10Gb.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7