Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 + Orbi RBS850 Limited Connection due to DNS

ksog070274
Aspirant

Orbi RBR850 + Orbi RBS850 Limited Connection due to DNS

Hi Community Experts

I have had critical stability issues with my network (1 x RBR850 and 2 x RBS850 in a hardwired star configuration through 1GB network switch) since around january 2022. It was working great for version 4.6.3.9, but for all following upgrades it has been unstable. I can see some periodic DNS timeouts and restoring of connectivity for my windows 10 home and pro pc's of different types.

I have tried everything from factory reset, manual rollback to version 4.6.3.9, by the way which worked great again, until overriden by automatic firmware updates. I have also checked the recommended firmware recommended for my pc's are installed.

I have spent quite an amount of money on this network and I think it's absolutely horrific that I have now spent 4 month and still have these issues.

Please help anyone? Or maybe just to prevent an override of the manual installed firmware which I know is stable.

Thank you.

Regards Kim

Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 + Orbi RBS850 Limited Connection due to DNS

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

What happens if you roll back to v4.6.3.9 now? I believe NG has turned off auto updates...

Message 2 of 16
ksog070274
Aspirant

Firmware.

ksog070274_0-1652587322556.png

ISP Modem.

ksog070274_1-1652587514631.png

I will try to follow your guide, I have not done these steps after the last update. I hope it works and I will get back to you on this thread. However if not I will rollback to the old  version and follow your guidelines for restart and cross my fingers that it will not override the firmware.

Of course it would be best to have the updates working 🙂

Thanks

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #2 first...

Theres nothing past v4.6.8.2.

FYI: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Orbi-Web-Page-and-Orbi-app-Access-St...

Message 4 of 16
ksog070274
Aspirant

Thank you.

I have right from the start re-configured modem to bridge mode and later on changed to a fixed LAN setup with a switch connecting the Orbi Router and 2 x Satellites.  It has been working fine for a year or so until around new year and from update v4.3.6.16 is my best guess.

I was testing your other guidelines, but it didn't do the trick. I have now rolled back firmware starting with satellites and ending with router as recommended to last workable firmware v4.3.6.9 for all Orbi units, but I faced problems with re-booting it kind of looped and didn't complete.

I then factory reset all Orbi units with v4.3.6.9 installed, unplugged all and started with the router which works fine now. I have som problems with the satellites which just cycle in a reboot state. I have now disconneced them and I will do the power reset close to the router and with no conncetion to the switch.

I am not yet complete with the process, but I will inform you the outcome here in this thread.

Message 5 of 16
ksog070274
Aspirant

Hi againg

Firmware is overridden automatically to the below version for the router at least. I will try and stick with this version and make it work as good as it possibly can, but as I recall it and in my notes, issues began around this version upgrade. I do not expect to much. I kind of have the feeling of being stuck here, but apperantly I got to accept this and cross my fingers for an upgrade in the future that works. I can't see what I possibly can do to get this fixed sadly enough.

I will post here when I am back up and running with final comments!

ksog070274_0-1652679986353.png

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. all v4.6.8x versions of FW have been removed from service. Most current for 8 series Orbi is v4.6.3.16.

Message 7 of 16
ksog070274
Aspirant

Great it has been cleaned up, I hope it will work out then.

I am now up and runing with all Orbi devices on supported version. I will monitor for a week or so for any stability issues and give final feedback here.

/Kim 

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 9 of 16
ksog070274
Aspirant

Hi

After a couple of stable days, the issue is back as I expected. See below Windows Log for errors. It is just a short interruption, but anyway anoying when streaming or gaming. Just not good enough. I hope a solution will emerge, rather sooner than later. I will leave this thread open and unclarified for now.

ksog070274_0-1652976600838.png

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Is IPv6 enabled on the RBR? If not, what happens if you enable it and just Auto settings there? 

Message 11 of 16
ksog070274
Aspirant

I have now activated IPv6 with auto settings, see below. I will wait and see.

ksog070274_0-1653024091183.png

Furthermore I have noticed the following - an attempt to auto update router even though I recall you said it should be disabled and another issue but not as important is the NTP time server not setting the correct time. I have attached screenshots below.

An auto-update firmware failed, maybe the cause of the interruption yesterday?

ksog070274_1-1653024249347.png

NTP setting.

ksog070274_2-1653024294631.png

I will monitor with IPv6 enabled and get back to you.

Message 12 of 16
ksog070274
Aspirant

Hi Again

I have now been monitoring some time, and it seems that IPv6 enablement has reduced the frequency of DNS issues, but I can't be completely sure, because they still occur for my satellite connected units.

I have noticed random reboots happening within a 1-3 day interval of the sattellites, not the router. Furthermore the reboot happens synchronously for the satellites? I have tried disabling one satellite unit to verify if it's wifi congestion/saturation as some threads suggest, but with no luck.

I do not expect hardware issue either as it has been running fine for a long period of time before 2022. I need the cabling setup working with a central switch connecting my units on different floors in the house for better stability and performance.

I am running out of options and patience. This try and error process is draining my batteries! Can anyone confirm if there is a firmware bug on these Orbi units, so I do not have to use my energy on something that doesn't work? I can then accept it and just live with it, until the firmware is fixed.

As previously written, I have a wired backhaul setup through a central switch which connects the router and the satellites.

Please help, thanks!

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router and RBS been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.

Turn on the RBS and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Try setting a custom NTP server address instead of NG default NTP service. 

You might update the RBS first then RBR to v.2:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-and-850-Series-Firmware-Versi...

You might re-enabled router mode on the modem and use the modems DMZ for the RBR in router mode.

Message 14 of 16
ksog070274
Aspirant

Hi Again

I have done the boot sequence when activitating IPv6, should I do this boot sequence each time I do the slightest changes ? I have not done it, after just reconnecting one satellite.

I live in a 3 storey house based on concrete walls blocking all wireless signals. It is only 125 sqm, so it's not the size, but more the layout and the concrete giving wireless challenges. An Orbi is placed centrally on each floor, starting with the router on the top floor - near the modem, and followingly a satellite on each of the 2 below floors. An avg. distance between Orbi units in direct line is around 3-4 meters, but as mentioned the concrete in this case is a great signal blocker.

I have added a wifi signal distribution overview as seen from my pc on the ground floor for 5 GHz, there is a similar one for 2,4GHz but I can only attach one. For the 2,4GHz the wifi distribution for the backhaul hidden wifi is also shown and as I understand, it is active even though not used in a wired seup.

NTP service is working againg, without me doing anything, so I guess thats fine.

I am not sure about your FW version 2 comment, do you recommend it to be done in my case ? and secondly what is the purpose of restoring the ISP modem from bridge to router mode again and place Orbi router in DMZ? and should it be done as seperate attempt or part of the suggested firmware upgrade as welll?.

I mean it's quite cumbersome to do all these tasks, and is it qualified suggestions or just cross my fingers and hope ?

I will not do anything before you reply again on recommended approach and why.

Br.

Kim

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Should only be needed once. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos