Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBRE960 once router power cycles or loses connection to modem wifi devices do not reconnect

TheSiskoDax
Tutor

Orbi RBRE960 once router power cycles or loses connection to modem wifi devices do not reconnect

Hello, this is the second time this has happened. The only way to resolve the issue the first time (after talking to support) was to do a full factory reset on the router.

After the Orbi RBRE960 router loses power OR internet from the modem (Motorola MB8600) then upon restart/reconnection of the router--none of my wifi devices can reconnect to the router. I have 62 wifi devices on my property. Last time this happened, I had to manually reset the router and then create a new wifi network/password and reconncect all wifi devices. 

My firmware was up to date in both instances.

This is a major issue for a $1,500 router. Devices should automatically reconnect to the router after the router power cycels.

As of right now, no wifi devices will reconnect to the router. I can connect to the router via the orbi app (still no wifi though) and I can see all my devices listed in the app. I have not yet done another manual firmware update or factory reset becuase I do not want to reconnect all 62 of my devices...

AX11000 Quad-Band Orbi WiFi 6E Router - Black Edition (RBRE960B)
RBRE960 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 6.0.3.85

Modem: Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem

Previous Netgear support case numbers:

Thank you!

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBRE960 once router power cycles or loses connection to modem wifi devices do not reconnect

Do you have RBS deployed? If so, how many? And how are they connected? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

How do you have the wifi configuration setup on the RBR? 

What security modes are you using? WPA2 only or Mixed WPA2/WPA3? 

Are you using the IoT SSID??

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@TheSiskoDax wrote:

After the Orbi RBRE960 router loses power OR internet from the modem (Motorola MB8600) then upon restart/reconnection of the router--none of my wifi devices can reconnect to the router. I have 62 wifi devices on my property. Last time this happened, I had to manually reset the router and then create a new wifi network/password and reconncect all wifi devices. 

I'm sorry this is happening to you.  My RBRE960 is running 6.0.3.85 - Is yours also running this version?

My AXE router has lost power and lost internet from my Xfinity XB7 a couple times last month and I did not experience the problems you describe, i.e., my many wireless devices reconnected as expected.  Perhaps you have a bad unit and your hardware should be replaced?

Message 3 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@TheSiskoDax wrote:

Last time this happened, I had to manually reset the router and then create a new wifi network/password and reconncect all wifi devices. 

There may have been a miscommunication with support.  There is a huge difference between doing a factory reset on the router and creating a new WiFi SSID/password. Reset does require new network settings.  Every time I install a new WiFi router (or do a reset on the installed router) I use exactly the same SSID/password during the setup.  That way, (a) every device will connect automatically when the WiFi SSID appears, and (b) if I decide to "go back" to the previous router, I just plug it in and every device connects automatically.

If devices are not connecting, creating a new SSID/password is not the solution.

(The main reason so many of us view a factory reset as the "last resort when all else has failed" is because we have spent a lot of time customizing the router settings. I prefer to have all my devices show "nice names" in the Attached Devices display, and I prefer them to have IP addresses in a certain order. This takes a lot of time to set up by creating entries in the LAN setup table and modifying all of the device descriptions.  None of this is necessary for the devices to function.  But after spending so much time getting it "just so", the thought of doing it all again is not attractive.)

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

@Mikey94025 wrote:

I'm sorry this is happening to you.  My RBRE960 is running 6.0.3.85 - Is yours also running this version? Yes.

My AXE router has lost power and lost internet from my Xfinity XB7 a couple times last month and I did not experience the problems you describe, i.e., my many wireless devices reconnected as expected.  Perhaps you have a bad unit and your hardware should be replaced?

Message 5 of 14
TheSiskoDax
Tutor

@FURRYe38 

• Do you have RBS deployed? Yes
  • If so, how many? 2
  • And how are they connected? Both RBS are connected via 5ghz as of right now (after this issue started where no devices are connected)
  • What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1800 sq ft over 3 levels. 600 sq ft per level
  • What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? Router is on main Floor, RBS #1 is on basement floor, 30+ feet away, RBS #2 is in detached Garage 30+ feet away (connection to garage has always been fine)
  • How do you have the wifi configuration setup on the RBR? Default settings, no guest network
  • What security modes are you using? Mixed WPA2/WPA3
  • Are you using the IoT SSID? No, this is currently disabled
  • What channels are you using? Yes, Auto
  • Any Wifi Neighbors near by? Yes (I am probably the only home nearby using AX)
  • If so, how many? Dozens
Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If you turn OFF the RBS and just use the RBR to let all devices connect to. Try pulling the power adapter for 30 seconds then back ON. Do devices re-connect and gain internet access after the RBR is back online? Do wired devices connect and get internet access as well? 

Is there a front LED inidication ON when this happens or is it OFF? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 7 of 14
TheSiskoDax
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If you turn OFF the RBS and just use the RBR to let all devices connect to. Try pulling the power adapter for 30 seconds then back ON. Do devices re-connect and gain internet access after the RBR is back online? Do wired devices connect and get internet access as well? 

Is there a front LED inidication ON when this happens or is it OFF? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

• Do devices re-connect and gain internet access after the RBR is back online? After performing your steps, No the devices do not reconnect.
  • Do wired devices connect and get internet access as well? Yes
  • Is there a front LED inidication ON when this happens or is it OFF? When the Orbi starts up, there is a white LEDflash, then after star-up no LED indicators are illuminated.
  • Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? No, not since the last time this happened. Last time my firmware was up to date and I performed a factory reset and setup from scratch to get the router working again. I had to use a new networkname and password.
Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, can you try a full on factory reset on the RBRE. Leave the RBS OFF for now. 

Setup from scratch and use same SSID name and PW as before.

Don't enable Armor or any other features for now. 

Set manual channels to 1 and 40. 

After the RBRE is setup, power it OFF along with the modem for 1 minute then back on with the modem first then RBRE. Does the wifi devices connect here? 

How is the SSID name configured? Any special characters or just alpha and numeric characters? 

Message 9 of 14
TheSiskoDax
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, can you try a full on factory reset on the RBRE. Leave the RBS OFF for now. 

Setup from scratch and use same SSID name and PW as before.

Don't enable Armor or any other features for now. 

Set manual channels to 1 and 40. 

After the RBRE is setup, power it OFF along with the modem for 1 minute then back on with the modem first then RBRE. Does the wifi devices connect here? 

How is the SSID name configured? Any special characters or just alpha and numeric characters? 

Performed your process above.

The wifi devices do not re-connect and cannot connect via wifi

The SSID is only standard alpha characters

Thank you for all your help on this.

Message 10 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@TheSiskoDax wrote:

Could the RBS be using the wrong wireless security, e.g., WPA3?  That would cause this situation where wired clients work but wireless clients cannot connect.  How can we best verify what wireless security the RBS is using?

Message 11 of 14
TheSiskoDax
Tutor

@Mikey94025 wrote:

@TheSiskoDax wrote:

Could the RBS be using the wrong wireless security, e.g., WPA3?  That would cause this situation where wired clients work but wireless clients cannot connect.  How can we best verify what wireless security the RBS is using?

The Security Setting Is On " Mixed WPA2/WPA3

Does That Answer Your Question?

Message 12 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@TheSiskoDax wrote:

The Security Setting Is On " Mixed WPA2/WPA3

Does That Answer Your Question?

That setting should work, but still your WPA2 devices are unable to connect after a restart.  My RBRE960 has security set the same way and my wireless devices do not have a problem reconnecting after a restart.  The differences I see in my configuration are:

• My guest network is enabled (WPA2-PSK [AES])
  • My IoT network is enabled (2.4Ghz only)
  • My 6G network is enabled
  • I have fixed channels for 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, 6Ghz
  • Enable AX is disabled for 2.4Ghz
  • I have 3 satellites (I purchased an add-on satellite)

I'm guessing that either your router hardware is defective, or else there is a firmware bug where disabling something of the above causes the wireless security to run incorrectly after a restart.  If you want to test this theory, you could try turning on your guest/IoT/6G networks and set fixed channels to see if it makes any improvement.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try swapping power adapters from one of the RBS yet? If so, I recommend you reach out to a forum moderator and link them to this thread. Seems like the RBR is in some bad state after a power cycle. @Blanca_O 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7