Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS850 satellite routinely drops wifi and starts broadcasting Guest network (which is disab

cwa107
Aspirant

Orbi RBS850 satellite routinely drops wifi and starts broadcasting Guest network (which is disabled)

Hello, hoping I can find some guidance here as I'm at my wits end with this system and not sure what to try next.

Background - I'm an IT professional by trade and am well-versed in WiFi and routers in general. My system is an Orbi RBK852. I have ensured both the router and satellite are in optimal positions in my 2600sq ft, ranch style, single-story home. I have taken care to ensure that there are no major sources of RF interference near or within the path of my Orbi components. I do not use the WiFi backchannel and have instead run CAT6 between the satellite and router. Wired connections are unaffected by this problem. The guest network is disabled, I am not using a common SSID and I have done factory resets ad nauseam and I've switched the modem out with my ISP (Spectrum). Current firmware is V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 - I don't see a newer version when I look at the product support page, though I did seem some mention of a newer version in one of the threads on this forum. My wife and I work from home full time, so I am a little hesitant to use any firmware outside of the standard.

Anyway, onto the problem...

Simply put, the Orbi satellite routinely drops WiFi connection. This occurs with multiple devices, iOS, MacOS, Android and Windows machines. When this occurs, I can briefly see "NETGEAR_GUEST" appear as an SSID with a strong signal, but that network is or should be disabled. After a moment (30 seconds or less), my SSID re-appears and I can reconnect (usually manually). Sometimes the connection lasts for 20 minutes or more. Wired devices connected to the satellite seem completely unaffected. Additionally, WiFi connections to the router unit are stable and often, my devices will revert back to connecting to the router, despite it having a much weaker signal on the other side of the house.

Any thoughts as to why this might be occuring? I'm at the point where I'm considering just purchasing another RBS850 as I feel pretty confident this is a hardware problem with that device.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS850 satellite routinely drops wifi and starts broadcasting Guest network (which is disab

the newer firmware is supposed to help with satellite connection issues. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Message 2 of 7
cwa107
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

the newer firmware is supposed to help with satellite connection issues. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Thanks - that's the thread I saw, but I was a little hesitant as the support page didn't list that version and I could find no other source for the file, aside from the salesforce link that was posted. I guess worst case scenario, I can roll back to the current prod version.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@cwa107 wrote:

Thanks - that's the thread I saw, but I was a little hesitant as the support page didn't list that version and I could find no other source for the file, aside from the salesforce link that was posted. I guess worst case scenario, I can roll back to the current prod version.

Exactly.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The link is the only official source, this is a pre-release meant for only users who want try it or have had problems on prior v4 versions of FW. Has brought more stabiity and better operation from what others have said. Both my 7 and 8 series are working well with it loaded. 

@cwa107 wrote:

Message 5 of 7
cwa107
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The link is the only official source, this is a pre-release meant for only users who want try it or have had problems on prior v4 versions of FW. Has brought more stabiity and better operation from what others have said. Both my 7 and 8 series are working well with it loaded. 

@cwa107 wrote:

Thank you for the reassurance. I have not updated the firmware yet, but I do believe I solved my problem with one of two changes I made yesterday. First, I set a password on the guest network, though I've kept the network disabled. Secondly, I reserved an IP for the satellite. One of the bigger problems I've noted recently is that even when devices reconnect, they seem to be delayed in getting an IP, if they get one at all. Since making these changes, connectivity has been steady. If it doesn't stay stable, the firmware update will be my next step.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7