Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Tri-Band AX6000 wired satellite

belilan
Tutor

Orbi Tri-Band AX6000 wired satellite

Hello,

I have a router and two satellites.

I have connected my router at the second floor wired to the modem and setup as AP.

I have a satelliteat the first floor synced by wifi, and another satelitte wiredly connected at the living-room.

I have 2 questiosn here:

1. Is it okay to connect a satellite to ethernet, because even though it got an IP address and I can see it through the orbi app (not through the web interface though), no devices are connecting to it, they all go to connect to the first floor satellite even though some devices are 2 feet from the satellite.
    Orbi app, I can see Living roomOrbi app, I can see Living roomLiving room does not appearLiving room does not appear
  2. Is the AX wifi compatible with WPA2 passwords? I got a message that it will go faster with WPA3.
    The is WPA3 compatible with 2.4 Ghz devices? I still have smart bulbs, amazon devices, and Label printer that connect only to 2.4 Ghz.
    wireless settings.JPG

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

@belilan wrote:

Hello,

I have a router and two satellites.

I have connected my router at the second floor wired to the modem and setup as AP.

I have a satelliteat the first floor synced by wifi, and another satelitte wiredly connected at the living-room.

I have 2 questiosn here:

1. Is it okay to connect a satellite to ethernet, because even though it got an IP address and I can see it through the orbi app (not through the web interface though), no devices are connecting to it, they all go to connect to the first floor satellite even though some devices are 2 feet from the satellite. Yes. Might try turning down the power output of the RBR to help steer some devices to the RBS. It's up to the devices to pick and choose where they connect too. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
    Orbi app, I can see Living roomOrbi app, I can see Living roomLiving room does not appearLiving room does not appear
  2. Is the AX wifi compatible with WPA2 passwords? Yes. I got a message that it will go faster with WPA3. Where did you get this information? WPA doesn't really effect speeds.
    The is WPA3 compatible with 2.4 Ghz devices? I still have smart bulbs, amazon devices, and Label printer that connect only to 2.4 Ghz. You have to check with the devices mfr about WPA3 support. NOt all devices may support WPA3. 
    wireless settings.JPG

Message 2 of 6
belilan
Tutor

Firmware V4.6.3.16

My home is 2600 Sq ft

My provider is Bell Canada, and the modem is a Home Hub 3000.

I have approximately 15 ft between the router and the 1st floor satellite and 18 ft between the 1st floor satellite and the linving room staellite (the ethernet wired one).

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

I would try option #2 first. 

Distanced are TOO close between the RBR and RBSs. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

Message 4 of 6
belilan
Tutor

Actually, since I didn't know how to disable the routing of my modem, I have setup the Orbi Router as AP.

so currently, they all work as AP, the router and the two satellites.

And yes I know that thye distance is too close, but I don't know where else to put them.

Mybe I should only use one satellite?

I'd have the router at second floor and one satellite at ground floor (living room) ethernet wired?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@belilan wrote:

Actually, since I didn't know how to disable the routing of my modem, I have setup the Orbi Router as AP.

so currently, they all work as AP, the router and the two satellites.

Good. 

And yes I know that thye distance is too close, but I don't know where else to put them.

Mybe I should only use one satellite? Yes, turn OFF one of the RBS. 

I'd have the router at second floor and one satellite at ground floor (living room) ethernet wired? Yes you can use ethernet back haul with the RBS: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Wirelessly synce the RBS first fully, then connect it via ethernet to the back of the RBR. Not the host router.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7