Guide

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 Slow WiFi/Inconsistent Speed

@Blanca_O can you help me as well?

Case # 43266910

Message 26 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

Customer service is a real disappointment. I'm frankly just going to leave it alone for now - the speed I get is more than enough for what I need; my wanting more is just a psychological thing of wanting everthing to perform "perfectly". But as my wife repeatedly reminds me, perfection is an illusion and its persuit in a router is probably not worth my time!

Message 27 of 61
SkySys
Guide

It's an expensive product, and as advertised I am not getting close to the WiFi speeds. I am getting a fluctuating 200 to 300, maybe 400mbps once in a while. Wonder if there are any other alternative/different name products in the market?

Message 28 of 61
SkySys
Guide

Update: netgear will be replacing the product. I have confirmed that I am getting around 950mbps on average into the house both up/down through my modem ISP provider. What’s on average I can expect Wi-Fi speeds for AC and AX Devices on Orbi?
Open floor plan house with 1 main unit upstairs and 1 satellite downstairs.
Message 29 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad NG is replacing it. As long as your connection rates are 1300Mpbs or higher, you should see near 900Mpbs. My Mac book pro 2018 seens over 700Mpbs on AC. 

Message 30 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

In my case, I think I've found that ipv6 was the culprit - when I turned that off I am now getting blazing connections 1200 mpbs to the router, i.e. faster than my internet connection. I don't understand why ipv6 should be the issue, but the problem was not only with speeds: it was kicking my iphone off from even geting proper dhcp addresses when I moved from router to satellite. So something in the ipv6 implementation was  blocking proper handshakes it seems. Ipv6 seems optional for now so I'm happy to leave off and by the time we will need it for sure, I'll probably have all new equipment anyway!

Message 31 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Is IPv6 supported by your ISP? If no, IPv6 should be disabled. 

@Dd852 wrote:

In my case, I think I've found that ipv6 was the culprit - when I turned that off I am now getting blazing connections 1200 mpbs to the router, i.e. faster than my internet connection. I don't understand why ipv6 should be the issue, but the problem was not only with speeds: it was kicking my iphone off from even geting proper dhcp addresses when I moved from router to satellite. So something in the ipv6 implementation was  blocking proper handshakes it seems. Ipv6 seems optional for now so I'm happy to leave off and by the time we will need it for sure, I'll probably have all new equipment anyway!

Message 32 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

It is certainly supported. And when enabled the router reports correct addresses and connections externally use the ipv6 whenever possible. So it is a bit of a shame to turn off, but the problem with the iphone handshakes was a desk breaker for me
Message 33 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Then please make contact wtih NG support about this. NG needs to know about problems with IPv6 if you have full native ISP support. Not the first time NG has had to fix IPv6 on Orbi. 

@Blanca_O 

@Dd852 wrote:
It is certainly supported. And when enabled the router reports correct addresses and connections externally use the ipv6 whenever possible. So it is a bit of a shame to turn off, but the problem with the iphone handshakes was a desk breaker for me

Message 34 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

@Blanca_O  yes, I have pm'd Blanca. Now that you mention it, I remember having precisely this problem a couple years back with the RBR50 - there was a bad issue passing ipv6 address thgrough the wired backhaul (exactly my situation here too) setting up fatal clashes. On the RBR50 this was resolved with subsequent firmware updates. 

Message 35 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, ya I remember a few problems on Orbi AC. 

Hopefully this can be addresssed as well. 

Message 36 of 61
Akahogan
Tutor

Congrats!  I tried for over one month and then they wanted a ton of information on every device on my network. I just gave up, it was too much to make something work. Likely getting an Eero now, I have heard good things.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 37 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

@Akahogan wrote:

Congrats!  I tried for over one month and then they wanted a ton of information on every device on my network. I just gave up, it was too much to make something work. Likely getting an Eero now, I have heard good things.

Message 38 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

@Blanca_O I’ve had no contact from second level support BUT I may have Finally found a better solution to all my issues (slow speeds, ipv6, getting knocked off the network on some devices). When I noticed the problems all intensified near one particular satellite or if the device had been signed in on that satellite and then changed position, I reset that satellite to factory and then resync-ed both satellites to the RBR. 24 hours later it is still the best it has been. I wonder whether some corruption crept into the satellite and just cached there past all reboots and restarts.
Message 39 of 61
SkySys
Guide

That may have been my issue and I can check too, thanks for the suggestion.

Still waiting on Netgear to ship one out. They send it out via group shipping so I think it will come in next week.

Message 40 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

@FURRYe38 I finally got a call back from 2nd level support. The quote of the year “Well, our devices are optimized for IPV4”. Never a truer word! I suppose by the time IPV6 is truly necessary, they’ll have gotten their act together! I feel pretty zen about it all now - the system works, it is now fast ... it seems stable. I will ignore the ipv6 imperfection until such time as the next firmware comes out and has new adventures for us all.
Message 41 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. Well I presume for the most part, IPv4 is still main stream and mostly the norm. Only ISPs that have native IPv6 support for those of you to are on those ISPs have more options. So in part the operation of IPv4 has been the norm for a while and still is. I do agree though that the IPv6 feature on Orbi should work find for those of you who are on ISPs with native IPv6 support. 

Enjoy for now. Smiley Wink

@Blanca_O 

Message 42 of 61
SkySys
Guide

Update, got the replacement router from Netgear in the mail.

- Reset AT&T BGW210 Modem/Router Combo

- Went through Installation Steps on Orbi App to get Orbi system setup

- Put AT&T Modem/Router in IP Pass Through Mode (as bridge mode not allowed).

- Enabled Ipv6 on AutoConfig

- Got good speeds in the beginning, see attached, but now again same thing, fluctuatiing speed and I am right next to it and only have a MacBook Pro (2018) connected and iPhone 11 Pro.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 4.08.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-12 at 4.08.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-12 at 4.37.38 PM.png

Message 43 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

Since you have and are keeping your AT&T router, Why not put the Orbi in AP Mode and let the AT&T handle all the dhcp and ipv6 work? At least try that - it may be there’s some conflict that ip pass through isn’t resolving.
Message 44 of 61
SkySys
Guide

Good suggestion. I turned off IP Passthrough on the AT&T Model. Turned on the AP in Orbi. Speeds seems to have improved on the MacBook (for now). The iPhone still showing around 250 up/down. I am connected to the Orbi WiFi network I had setup.

Do I need to disable the wifi broadcast from the AT&T Modem?

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 1.27.29 PM.png

Message 45 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

Yes absolutely. Having it on will totally confuse things.
Message 46 of 61
SkySys
Guide

Done. But check out the spees on iPhone 11 pro that is capable of getting the WiFi 6 speeds.

IMG_AF4B84093BCF-1.jpeg

Message 47 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

To be honest i think the 11 pro while capable doesn’t prioritize it. I can get 600+ if and only if I switch off the phones WiFi and switch it on again in the vicinity of the router. If I roam into the room I will get 300-400 but not the blazing fast. I’m not fussed because honestly i have absolutely no need for that speed, perhaps you do. I’m just happy that my Mac in my office (near a satellite and away from the router) is now consistently 400 up/down. Obviously not 1 gig but it is fine for my needs and stability and consistency will always be more important for me.
Message 48 of 61
SkySys
Guide

I agree, I have been obsesses with trying to get 600 to 700+ on these newer devices, looks like it won't work.

But, trying to at least get 400 + consistently on all he devices, as it is fluctuating from 100 to 300 right now. In the same spot.

Message 49 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

Reboot the Orbi with your devices all OFF. Then turn them on once the Orbi is up and running.
Message 50 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 60 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7