Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wifi connection dropping

Superlub
Follower

Orbi Wifi connection dropping

HI,

I DON'T have a problem with WiFi connection dropping on my Orbi RBK853...... anymore...:-)

What happend?

I bought the RBK853 system 18 months ago. Since installation I was experiencing problems with the system. Initially with slow and faltering internet speeds. It turned out this was due to my setup with the ISP modem; you can't have 2 routers on the same network (ok, call it a rookie mistake ;-)). By disableing the router function on the service provider modem and setting it up in "bridge modus" this was solved. Note that when "bridging", only port 1 of the ISP modem works, so make sure to connect the Orbi router to the right port.

However, after a while I noticed that every now and then our devies (phones, tablets, Philips Hue, Sonos) were not always connected and were losing connection with the Orbi. When Googling on "Orbi dropping connection" you find hundreds of similair stories and tips.

I spent months on this and other forums following all the tips to fix these connection issues. I rebooted the system, relocated the satellites, tried with wireless and wired backhaul, installed new firmware (by the way, why is Netgear offical support site not showing the latest firmware that you can download on this forum?). I restored to factory settings and reinstalled, but that made things only worse; one of the satellites could not be found anymore, IP addresses were shown, but not active... very strange... It really came to a point where I wanted to throw out this (quite expensive) system. In a final attempt I restored again to the factory settings and then disconnected all 3 devices, re-installed the Orbi app and started from scratch following this guide. https://kb.netgear.com/31017/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-WiFi-System.

And for some reason it now works. I think key is to setup the Orbi router and satellites in the same room, before you place them to the final destination (I can't recall I did that 18 months ago). After 2 days without issues in the wireless setup I dared to connect the system via the wired backhaul and still everythings works flawless.

Moral of the story: RTFM!!! 😉 I'm not saying that all the other tips don't work, but sometimes the solution can be very simple. I can imagine I'm not the only one not reading manuals... take care!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi Wifi connection dropping

Glad you got it working well. 

I'd make a backup of your system while its running well 🙂

And you might want to mark it solved. that keeps others from trying to fix it as well as those with issues might find that you got it fixed and what worked. 

good work!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX (WiFi6 RBK 3,7,8 and 9 Series) products. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Glad you got it working.Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Enjoy. 📡

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working well. 

I'd make a backup of your system while its running well 🙂

And you might want to mark it solved. that keeps others from trying to fix it as well as those with issues might find that you got it fixed and what worked. 

good work!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7