Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and internet dropping

Chief2019
Tutor

Orbi and internet dropping

I have had the Orbi RBS750 with a Spectrum internet modem working together since October of 2021.  In the middle of February 2022 the internet starting dropping randomly.  There were no internet outages verified by Spectrum. I can reset both devices and have internet for a day or so.  What troubleshooting can I try?  I have unplugged bothfor 30 seconds and then plugged the modem backin for 2 minutes followed by the Orbi.  Thanks

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Chief2019
Tutor

The problem was a splitter on the box outside the house.  Thanks again

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

There a front LED thats PINK on the RBR when this happens? 

Message 2 of 16
Chief2019
Tutor

The model of Orbit is RBR 750.

Message 3 of 16
Chief2019
Tutor

The front LED is pink when this happens.  The firmware is V4.6.5.14  The modem is Spectrum.  We just got it in October.

Message 4 of 16
Chief2019
Tutor

modemThe modem has CM MAC and MTA MAC numbers on it, no model number

Message 5 of 16
Chief2019
Tutor

The manufacturer of the modem is Sercomm, model ES2251

Message 6 of 16
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@Chief2019 wrote:

@Chief2019, I've seen some mixed reviews on this modem with a lot of reports of it dropping internet (Puma 6 chip set) I believe this modem provides both Internet and Voice - are you getting your voice service through it as well? If so, the next time your internet goes down, check your telephone service as well. If it is down (i.e. no dial tone), then it is the modem itself dropping, not the Orbi. I had this problem with a different Spectrum modem, but same symptoms.
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Along with what @TC_in_Montana mentioned, lets make sure the ISP signal up to the modem is working well.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

@Chief2019 wrote:

Message 8 of 16
Chief2019
Tutor

Thank you, I do not have the voice service

Message 9 of 16
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@Chief2019 wrote:

Thank you, I do not have the voice service

Darn - it would have made it much easier to determine whether it was the modem dropping or the Orbi. Again, the symptoms are the same as I saw with a different modem from Spectrum. Devices lost internet connectivity, router showed Magenta. Of course, Spectrum will always say it is not their end. But you may want to see if they can check to see if the modem is going offline occasionally. Furry's suggestions are valid.
Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Also make sure LAN cable is of good quality between the modem and router. Shortest length possible and CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 11 of 16
Chief2019
Tutor

Thank you both.  I have Spectrum coming out to check the modem

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 13 of 16
Chief2019
Tutor

The problem was a splitter on the box outside the house.  Thanks again

Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Glad you found the problem child. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 16
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Like @FURRYe38 said - happy you figured it out - and happy Spectrum fixed it! Also glad you were willing to ask Spectrum to double check on their side/equipment. A lot of users automatically assume that it's the router when many times it is not and are not willing to give other issues full consideration. Happy Computing!
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7