Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi clashing with new Fiber internet service

LinderB
Aspirant

Orbi clashing with new Fiber internet service

Hello all!

I have the Orbi RBR850.  We switched from Spectrum Broadband to Fiber Optics.  For whatever reason, the Orbi isn't playing well with the new NOKIA modem.  The data line flashes yellow when it's plugged into the Orbi.  It has been disconnecting us from the internet, which is bad because I work from home and rely 100% on internet phone.  When any other system (including the company's own mesh system) is plugged in, the data line is a steady green. 

Is there a setting in the Orbi that would help the light to flash steady?  I do not have Armor turned on.

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

what nokia modem is it connected to? 

Message 2 of 17
LinderB
Aspirant

I had to take a picture with my phone - couldn't see it!!!  Model XS-110G-A

Message 3 of 17
LinderB
Aspirant

I had to take a picture with my phone - couldn't see it!!!  Model XS-110G-A

Message 4 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

I've been searching for a User Manual and not finding anything for that model number.

Can you please post the picture.

What does the fiber optic company tech support say about what the yellow light means?

Message 5 of 17
LinderB
Aspirant

272992218_4183475255089333_4378429612953104373_n.jpg

Message 6 of 17
LinderB
Aspirant

I don't see that the picture posted so I'll try it a different way - THANK YOU for your willingness to look into this.

They say that with all other installs, the light should be solid green.  They've only seen it yellow (and fast flashing) with my Orbi.  

Message 7 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

One of the irritating features of the forum software package is that images placed "in-line" using the Photos icon in the menu bar  are not visible to other users until approved by a forum moderator. Images "attached" using the Browse button in the lower left are available immediately.

Can you get a picture of the product label (probably on the back of the case)?

Message 8 of 17
LinderB
Aspirant

Picture attached.  I was reluctant to post all of the serial #'s and other numbers - hoping you don't need that.  Again, thank you!

Message 9 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

This is just insane that there appears to be absolutely nothing on the internet regarding this product.

There should not be any configuration required on the Orbi.

• Disconnect electronics from the ONT.
  • Power down the ONT.
  • Wait a minute.
  • Power up the ONT.
  • Connect the Orbi. (use the same cable as used with the ISP's router.)
  • Power up the Orbi.

That should do it.

How much access and control do you have with the ISP's router?

• Can you log in and set the WiFi name and password?
  • Can you shut off the WiFi?
  • Can you put their router into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode?
  • Does their router have a DMZ option?

The first post mentioned two problems:

• The data light flashing yellow.
  • Disconnecting users from the internet.  Can you elaborate on "what happens"? i.e.
    Does the Orbi appear to connect?
    Do users have internet at first?  For how long?
    When internet is interrupted, does it ever come back by itself?

I have been on Spectrum for years.  I find that contacting technical support is a bit inconsistent.  Sometimes the support person appears to understand what I am asking about, and sometimes I get the feeling this is their first day on the job.  (Anecdote:  As one of the few customers still using a Tivo, I have to rent a Cable Card from Spectrum and they have to provide me with a gizmo called a Tuning Adapter because Cable Cards cannot handle switched digital signals correctly.  One day suddenly, Turner Classic Movies was not available.  Called Spectrum and the next day a nice young technician showed up.  Replaced every bit of coax and reterminated every connector.  Got a new Tuning Adapter from the truck.  Guy spent a total of six hours at my house.  Tried a total of four Tuning Adapters.  He had to call into Sprectrum support at least 10 times - and suffer through their phone tree to reach support.  He finally gave up and left.  As I was preparing to drive out to the Spectrum store and exchange for yet another Tuning Adapter, I call Spectrum customer service.  Nice woman listened to me and said, "oh my.  your account is not coded correctly.  I changed the coding. Can you try it again?"  Worked just fine.  All that effort.  All those calls.  Pointless.)  The moral of the story is some techs know more than others.

But, you're not on Spectrum any more.  The new fiber company has a support line and some techs may know more than other.  Surely other customers want to use their own WiFi routers.  Surely others have changed from Spectrum.

Message 10 of 17
LinderB
Aspirant

Thank you for such a detailed post!!

What would happen is the internet would 'blip' - go down for 15, 20, 30 seconds then come back.  I have horrible cell signal here and rely on wireless calling on my cellphone for my job.  Calls would be disconnected.  our wireless TV's would stop transmitting enough to be frustrating.

They spent 2 hours here troubleshooting including reformatting Orbi to factory settings.   The light is STILL fast flashing yellow, but so far we have not dropped signal once.  If it starts to happen again, they have their own mesh system which hopefully they will let me use for free until they figure it out.  Which would be a shame since I paid $1000 for the Orbi.

I was hoping that it's a simple setting within the Orib to fix the issue.  I will take your advice and leap frog across all of the techs.  🙂 

You're the BEST!!!  

Message 11 of 17
Mikey94025
Hero

Your Fiber service comes out of the Nokia modem.  Can you explain what other networking devices you have and how they are wired?  Is the Orbi connected to the Nokia modem device?  One idea I had is if there is a router in your system (but modems usually are not) then you could try running your Orbi in Access Point mode rather than Router mode.  Otherwise, there isn't much you can change to affect how it is wired to whatever it is connected to upstream.

Message 12 of 17
LinderB
Aspirant

Hello!

The Orbi (and 2 satellites) are connected directly to the modem.  I will try changing it to 'access point' and see if that helps.  When other devices were connected directly to the modem, the data light turned green, which means that the Orbi is what's causing the data light to flash fast yellow.

I should also note that when the internet went down, my phone service through the ISP was still working.  It was only the data that was affected.

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 14 of 17
LinderB
Aspirant

Hello!

So far, our connection has not dropped repeatedly since a reboot/restoration of the Orbi.  However, the data light is still flashing yellow, not the solid green.  As long as I'm not dropping internet, I can work with the flashing light.  Thank you all.

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you contact the ISP and ask them what the meaning of the colors for the DATA led are. Might help point to a better direction. 

Message 16 of 17
kolella
Apprentice

like the orbi 850 the nokia ont has a 1/2.5 Gb ethernet port maybe green is 1Gb and orange/yellow 2.5Gb . What does the stats page on the orbi advance page report?
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7