Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi killed Google Hub

MaryRivera
Aspirant

Orbi killed Google Hub

We recently installed the Orbi RBR850 with router and 2 satellites. This was at the end of significant renovations in which we put voice activated bulbs and sockets everywhere. We've got a couple of Google Hubs, Android TV.

Everything worked fine on the old wifi but since putting Orbi in, everything has become pretty glitchy. The main issues seem to be involving streaming from a phone eg Spotify and Netflix but also voice activation on the hubs. Issues include:

1. streamed Spotify songs seem to stop to buffer at 0.09s on songs. It might be the next song or the one after that but something fairly consistent seems to be happening that I can't imagine what it is.

2. streaming also stops more randomly. I was streaming a local (Sydney) tv channels content this morning and it seemed to stop to buffer every 20s or so.

3. watching Netflix on the Android TV has seemed generally fine.

4. "Sorry there's a glitch. Try again in a few seconds" and "sorry there seems to be a problem. Please try again" have become Google's most popular refrains to a voice request. Even in response to "OK Google" before any request has been made sometimes.

In line with lots of Googling I've tried to switch to 2.4GHz only, switch of the 20/40Hz coexistence, switched off IPv6. I've turned wireless on the old router off. But whilst this seems to reduce the issues with voice commands, I'm yet to find anything that gives a more reliable streaming fix.

Anyone else experienced similar?

I'm starting to wonder if there are settings on the previous (ethernet connection to the Orbi Router) router or even my phone rather than Orbi.

Message 1 of 2
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi killed Google Hub

@MaryRivera 

Since this is a new setup (new being you are replacing an old router with the 850), it would be helpful to know a few things to help you troubleshoot this issue.

• What type of modem/ont (fiber) connection do you have?   Are you cable based/fiber based/etc?   It would be good to know the model number as well so we identify whether you have just a modem or a modem/router combination.   
  • What router did you replace (was it an older Orbi system)?
  • I see you said "I've turned wireless on the old router off."   So are you/were you running the 850 PLUS the old router?   This could definitely be the cause of some of your issues - depending on how you have them set up/wired/etc.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7