Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi port forwarding not working

bho45666
Aspirant

Orbi port forwarding not working

Hi, 

I am trying to set up port forwarding on my Orbi AX4200. The purpose is to set up remote access to my Plex server running on a Synology NAS, which is connected to one of the satellites of my Orbi system. I initially followed this page: 

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200931138-troubleshooting-remote-access/?utm_campaign=Plex%20Apps&u...

Since the "Automatic Configuration" didn't work, I am trying the "Manual Port Forwarding" method. In the Orbi web interface, under Advanced --> Port Forwarding / Port Triggering, I set up a new Custom Service, TCP, External Port 25xxx (selected randomly), internal port 32400, internal IP = IP of my NAS (which is static). 

When I go to https://canyouseeme.org/ and check port 25xxx, it says "Could not see your service ...". 

One issue I noticed is that my external IP as shown by https://canyouseeme.org/ is different than the IP shown in my Orbi web interface (Advanced Home --> Internet Port). As per this discussion: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Orbi-Portforwarding-Not-Working-Orbi...

"If not [i.e. IPs are not the same] you have Double NAT and two routers, so put your ISP router into bridge mode, change your Orbi from Router mode to AP mode, or port forward the same port(s) from your ISP router to the Orbi's IP." However, I don't know how I could possibly have Double NAT. My Orbi router is directly connected to my Netgear CM700 modem. My provider is Xfinity. 

My setup is an Orbi RBR750 (AX4200) with two RBS750 satellites. Firmware is 4.6.5.14 on all of them. The RBR750 is connected to a CM700 cable modem. The Synology NAS is connected via ethernet cable to one of the satellites. 

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Orbi port forwarding not working

@bho45666 wrote:

One issue I noticed is that my external IP as shown by https://canyouseeme.org/ is different than the IP shown in my Orbi web interface (Advanced Home --> Internet Port). As per this discussion: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Orbi-Portforwarding-Not-Working-Orbi...

"If not [i.e. IPs are not the same] you have Double NAT and two routers, so put your ISP router into bridge mode, change your Orbi from Router mode to AP mode, or port forward the same port(s) from your ISP router to the Orbi's IP." However, I don't know how I could possibly have Double NAT. My Orbi router is directly connected to my Netgear CM700 modem. My provider is Xfinity. 

Hmmm, that is interesting.  Can you tell us what IP it says in canyouseeme.org and what Internet Port IP it says in your Orbi admin website?  The format of the numbers may give us a hint of what is going on here.  Also let us know what your router IP address is and the internal IP address you are port forwarding to (just in case).

Message 2 of 18
bho45666
Aspirant

Hmm. This morning the IPs on canyouseeme.org and the Internet Port in the Orbi interface match (24.130.31.134). This was not the case last night. My internal router IP is 192.168.1.1 and the NAS is set to 192.168.1.9 (static IP; the DHCP range on the router is set to start at 192.168.1.10). However, if I check the port on canyouseeme.org, I still get an error. Remote Access on the Plex server is still not available. Any other clues? 

BTW I disabled UPnP in the Orbi interface. The Plex support page says that generally UPnP should allow enabling remote access automatically (without manual port forwarding) but this didn't work for me. This is why I am trying the port forward. 

Thanks. 

Message 3 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

Sorry, I don't see what else could be wrong.  This post reported similar Plex port forwarding difficulties but did not post a solution: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Port-Forwarding-Not-Working/td-p/210...

One thing is check that your Plex server port 32400 is really running per: https://support.plex.tv/articles/200931138-troubleshooting-remote-access/.  Are you able to access your Plex server within your own network via this internal IP address and port 32400?

Message 4 of 18
bho45666
Aspirant

Yes, I can access the plex server internally via web browser (<name of nas>:32400) and also via the plex app on my phone. In both cases I see my personal library. 

Message 5 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

@bho45666 wrote:

However, if I check the port on canyouseeme.org, I still get an error. Remote Access on the Plex server is still not available. Any other clues? 

Is "Remote Access on the Plex server is still not available" the exact error message displayed on the canyouseeme.org site when you enter the port number?  Because that site doesn't know the nature of the port and would not know it is for Plex, implying that something on the Plex side is generate this particular error message string.

It also looks like there is a Disable Remote Access feature in Plex: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/69gc1x/why_doesnt_disable_remote_access_disable_remote/.  Check that you don't have that Plex setting enable.

Message 6 of 18
bho45666
Aspirant

No, the error message on canyouseeme.org is

---

Error: I could not see your service on <ip> on port (<port>)
Reason: Connection timed out

---

As you say, canyouseeme.org doesn't know this is for Plex. 

The following is the error message on the Plex server (NAS) browser interface, on the Settings --> Remote Access page. This is after enabling remote access: 

---

Not available outside your networkYour server is signed in to Plex, but is not reachable from outside your network. Learn moreDISABLE REMOTE ACCESS

You currently have Remote Access enabled through a manually-specified port. If you wish to disable Remote Access, you will need to remove your manual port forwarding from your router.

Private 192.168.1.9 : 32400  Public <ip> : <port>   Internet
 Manually specify public port 

RETRY

You may need to enable this to establish a direct connection from outside your network. You may also need to configure your router. Detailed instructions are available here.

---

I think my next step is to reset the Orbi to factory settings and reconfigure from scratch. Not sure when I'll get to that. 

Message 7 of 18
Mikey94025
Hero

Do you also have this Plex setting for "Manually Specify Public Port" enabled?  It says:

MANUALLY SPECIFY PORT

If the automatic port configuration for connecting to plex.tv fails (or if you otherwise simply prefer to set up your port forward manually), you can manually specify the port using this setting. Our “Troubleshooting” article (linked below) has more details about how to set up a manual port forward.

Note: If you manually forward a port in your router then you  MUST enable this setting or else your server will continue to try and automatically map the port and will almost certainly fail.

Message 8 of 18
bho45666
Aspirant

Yes, I have this enabled. 

Message 9 of 18
raven_au
Virtuoso

Have you checked if it's your ISP doing additional NATing of external addresses?

For example here in AU my ISP, Aussie Broadband. utilizes CGNAT and my external IP address does not match the address assigned to my router, which sounds like what you describe and my plex instance is also not available externally.

I believe I can opt-out of this if I have sufficient justification or I can pay for a static IP address, or I could setup port forwarding via my VPN provider and use a VPN client on my NAS but (since I haven't tried) I'm not sure I can configure plex to use the VPN interface on the NAS.

Actually I can't even try at the monent as the NAS running my Plex server is broken, pretty sure it's the power supply and I'm trying to get a replacement.

Message 10 of 18
mitru
Aspirant

Having the same exact problem. Bought the fancy new Wifi6 Orbi, using a Synology NAS that's directly connected to it, and remote access claims it's working... and then like 3 seconds later... it stops working. I've tried port forwarding, still stops working. I've tried manually defining the public port. Still doesn't work. And I know 300,000% that it's the Orbi that's my problem, because when I swap back to my Linksys router, it absolutely works without issue. Also, I expected UPNP to just make this work. It doesn't. Why is my outbound connection being switched off after just a few moments?

Message 11 of 18
bho45666
Aspirant

I haven't mentioned this before in this thread but this has worked in the past for me. I set it up  my Plex server on the Synology NAS right after I got the Orbi (Sep 2020) and I could enable Plex remote access (and access my music library through the Sonos app). Then I haven't used it in a while (mostly use Spotify and other streaming services on Sonos) and now when I tried to use it again it didn't work. Extremely frustrating. If you got your Orbi just recently, do you still have access to Netgear support? I think you have it for three months after purchase (unless you pay to extend it). 

Message 12 of 18
Aggie94
Aspirant

I am also having this issue.    Plex on my synology nas shows I have a connection from outside and I have a green check.  however,  canyouseeme.org shows my external plex designated port as closed.    I have Upnp both enables and disabled and I have the proper port forwarding set up in the router pointing to the nas.  In my case external port 32605 to internal 32400 at my Nas IP of 192.168.11.   Did anyone figure this out?

Message 13 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@Aggie94 wrote:

I am also having this issue.    Plex on my synology nas shows I have a connection from outside and I have a green check.  However,  canyouseeme.org shows my external plex designated port as closed.    I have Upnp both enabled and disabled and I have the proper port forwarding set up in the router pointing to the nas.  In my case external port 32605 to internal 32400 at my Nas IP of 192.168.11.   Did anyone figure this out?

The description is not entirely clear (to me).

• When Synology shows there is a connection from outside, does that mean that
    A setting has been made to allow connections from outside, or
    That a connection from the outside actually exists right now?
  • UPnP is enabled or disabled? (which?)  Is this UPnP
    On the Synology device, or
    On the Orbi router?
  • Was there a specific reason to use a different port besides 32400 for Plex access from the internet?

The public IP address reported by canyouseeme.org matches the Internet IP address on the Orbi advanced tab home page?

Message 14 of 18
Aggie94
Aspirant

synology has it's own plex server.   it designates 32400.   Both with and without Upnp, 32400 is not showing as being reached no matter what external port I designate.  32400, 32500, 32600, 32605 etc.    The reason you change the external port is because I have two plex servers in my home (for different reasons like transcoding ability).  One on a pc running unraid and another on the synology nas.    my PC  has external port 32600 forwarded to 32400 at the IP of the PC.   My synology has external port 32605 as my external forwarded to my plex app on the nas.  forwarded to 32400.    Plex uses as a standard port of 32400.  So, to designate which server plex is pulling data, you change the external ports to point to each source.  All this is explained in the support area of plex.tv.    The plex app on the synology NAS does see external connection (green check in plex).  I am just wondering why canyouseeme does not when I check port 32605.    

yes, my public IP matches. no double NAT

Message 15 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@Aggie94 wrote:

The reason you change the external port is because I have two plex servers in my home (for different reasons like transcoding ability).  One on a pc running unraid and another on the synology nas. 

Thanks.  That makes perfect sense. So, both Plex servers are reachable from the internet using the Plex Media app, but canyouseeme does not show the port open.  Very interesting question.

Would it be convenient to try a few other web test sites?  Gibson Research "SheidsUp!", for example. https://www.grc.com/shieldsup 

It could have something to do with the method the Plex server uses to connect.  I don't know if this question is worth a lot of your time (since both Plex servers are working).  Maybe Plex only accepts a connection that contains specific information?  My approach would be to use the Orbi debug capability of "Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture".  Begin the capture, then try some "can you see me" web sites. Then connect using the Plex Media app.  Save the debug file to your PC and then use Wireshark (or a similar pcap utility) to open both the LAN.pcap and WAN.pcap files.

The LAN capture will be the easiest because Wireshark can use a display filter to show only the packets going to/from the media server(s).  (ip.addr == 192.168.1.11)  What I suspect might happen is that there will be TCP packets going from the Orbi router to the Synology, but no responses going back to the router.  Then, when Plex Media connects, there will packets going to the Synology and packets going back to the router (the router being the gateway to the internet).

The WAN side will be more difficult because all incomming packets are addressed to the Orbi router and Network Address Translation hides the internal IP address.

Message 16 of 18
Aggie94
Aspirant

the shieldsup is green for port 32605 to my NAS port forward.   it didn't say open, rather stealth.   on a whim, I disabled the firewall on the nas for a few seconds and it passed.  so, the issue is not the netgear router and I'm sorry if I mucked up this guys thread.  thanks for all the help. 

Message 17 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@Aggie94 wrote:

the shieldsup is green for port 32605 to my NAS port forward.   it didn't say open, rather stealth. 

Thanks for taking the time for this other test.  SheldsUp! defines a port as

• Open - when a connection attempt is accepted
  • Stealth - when the connection request just 'disappears'. No response of any kind.
  • Closed - when a port responds to the connection request with a denial.

There is an interesting discussion in the FAQ about why Gibson uses the terms he does when other sites use other terms.

Not having much luck finding a reference for the Plex client/server TCP handshake.

This post says it is an http header:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/g7yge1/how_does_plex_serverclient_handshake_work/ 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7