Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi reset considerations / issues

Wizzard370
Tutor

Orbi reset considerations / issues

I have RBR353 orbi. I have recently moved over to FTTP provider on 500 / 70 service. Ethernet connection has been rock steady at full up and down.

However, WiFi is an issue with only 160 / 70 service. Various tests on ISP router / Orbi directly to ONT have been performed without a solution. It is now suggested that I factory reset the Orbi. I have about 26 devices connected to the Orbi. 

My question is what precautions do I need to take and how best to do this. Am I likely to face issues? I assume factory reset would mean reset Router / 2 satellites as if they were "new".  I assume username password would revert to admin / admin?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@Wizzard370 wrote:

My question is what precautions do I need to take and how best to do this. Am I likely to face issues? I assume factory reset would mean reset Router / 2 satellites as if they were "new".  I assume username password would revert to admin / admin?

I do a Factory Reset in two steps: (1) quick, and (2) thorough

After reset, the User Name is "admin" and password is "password"

For a quick reset, save a copy of the configuration to a file on the computer.

Press something into the "Reset" hole until the power LED turns amber and begins to flash, then pull it out.

When the router boots up, go through the setup steps on the web interface, ignoring every attempt to enter anything* until you get to a page offering two choices:

1. Restore a saved configuration.
  2. Set up the router manually.

At that point, load the saved config and the router will reboot. When it comes up, every device will reconnect as before.

Total time: 10-15 minutes.

If this solves the issue, you are done.

* do not set up the SSID/password, register the product (again), sign up for Armor, Parental Controls... nothing.

If this did not solve the issue, the only recourse is the thorough reset by hand.  During this step, again do not change the SSID/password until everything you want to customize has been done.  Once the SSID/password that every device in the house knows about appears, they will all rush to connect and will get assigned whatever IP comes up next in the list. Once you are all done, change the SSID/password, and off you go.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Wizzard370 wrote:

I do a Factory Reset in two steps: (1) quick, and (2) thorough

After reset, the User Name is "admin" and password is "password"

For a quick reset, save a copy of the configuration to a file on the computer.

Press something into the "Reset" hole until the power LED turns amber and begins to flash, then pull it out.

When the router boots up, go through the setup steps on the web interface, ignoring every attempt to enter anything* until you get to a page offering two choices:

1. Restore a saved configuration.
  2. Set up the router manually.

At that point, load the saved config and the router will reboot. When it comes up, every device will reconnect as before.

Total time: 10-15 minutes.

If this solves the issue, you are done.

* do not set up the SSID/password, register the product (again), sign up for Armor, Parental Controls... nothing.

If this did not solve the issue, the only recourse is the thorough reset by hand.  During this step, again do not change the SSID/password until everything you want to customize has been done.  Once the SSID/password that every device in the house knows about appears, they will all rush to connect and will get assigned whatever IP comes up next in the list. Once you are all done, change the SSID/password, and off you go.

Message 2 of 4
Wizzard370
Tutor

"When the router boots up, go through the setup steps on the web interface, ignoring every attempt to enter anything* until you get to a page offering two choices:"

@CrimpOn 

Thanks a lot. Not sure what you mean by above. Setup steps on web interface - do you mean the Orbi app on my phone or via 192.168... on my PC?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

On the PC
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements